Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to handguns, revolvers, and Taurus... as of Sunday. I paid $355 for a used Model 66 .357 mag with a 6 inch barrel.

I haven't actually received it yet, but I am trying to get some help so I know what to do when the gun arrives. It has a little discoloration on the barrel, and a little rust at the seams of the parts of the gun. It looks kinda like I might need to tear it down completely to clean it up, but I'd like a few opinions. I tried to attach the only picture that I have, so I hope you can see it.

I am also a little concerned about the length of the barrel. A 5' barrel seems to be just about perfect, but I don't think Taurus makes one... especially not in a 7 shot config. Can this barrel be cut down? If so, how would I go about doing that, and do you think it could be done for around $50?

Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,611 Posts
I see no reason that the barrel could not be shortened?
some revolver expert may tell us why It can't!
BUT you gonna need to take it o a GOOD gunsmith to have it done right.
also you will need a new front sight, and NO, there I no way that a Good gunsmith will do this for 50 bucks!
you are going to end up with a lot more in this gun than you can ever get out of it, live with the 6 inch barrel Is what I would do!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'd probably avoid cutting it, and instead just get a new barrel
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufa...64/MediumFrame-38365/66-37358.htm?results=All
looks like they have 4" models available

One thing to note, numrich has 2 model 66's listed a older and newer, not sure which yours is, but i went with the newer for the page i linked, if you need the other one, make sure you go to its page, and you will need a extractor in the new length as well, not sure what all else you will need to swap it out.

I did this with a S&W 22a a while back, then sold the original barrel on ebay, i got enough from it to pay for the one from numrich, and was able to get the 7" target barrel for it instead of the 4" it came with

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great input! I hadn't considered replacing the barrel. That might be the answer to the discoloration on the barrel as well. I am going to end up with too much in this gun to get it back, I am afraid!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'd probably avoid cutting it, and instead just get a new barrel
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufa...64/MediumFrame-38365/66-37358.htm?results=All
looks like they have 4" models available

One thing to note, numrich has 2 model 66's listed a older and newer, not sure which yours is, but i went with the newer for the page i linked, if you need the other one, make sure you go to its page, and you will need a extractor in the new length as well, not sure what all else you will need to swap it out.

I did this with a S&W 22a a while back, then sold the original barrel on ebay, i got enough from it to pay for the one from numrich, and was able to get the 7" target barrel for it instead of the 4" it came with
Why would he need a new extractor? On a barrel this long the length shouldn't effect the extractor or extractor rod. I could see if you were switching a snub to a longer barrel potentially needing a new extractor rod but even then considering how the Taurus revolvers lock up I think you could use a shorter extractor rod with a longer barrel with no issues.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes it can be done ! If someone offers to do it for $50 RUN the other way ! Reasonable cost would be $150 to $200 Including the crowning and the front sight of which I would recommend a parttrige sight ! Good Luck ! JMO and experience / MDT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. I don't think I can justify $150 to $200 on a $350 gun! Maybe $50 to $75 for a new barrel from gunpartshop!

·
Registered
365 Posts
It can be done

Wow. I don't think I can justify $150 to $200 on a $350 gun! Maybe $50 to $75 for a new barrel from gunpartshop!
My friend a hacksaw is a very cheap tool. I have cut many a barrel down. No 100.00 dollars just good old American no how. A barrel cuts easy, Just take your time and tape the barrel with tape and keep it slow and steady. When done the finishing and sanding and polishing is easy. The hard part is attaching the front sight. You can do it with the right file and sight. The good thing about modifying a Taurus is if you screw up you aren't out a fortune.

·
Registered
36,611 Posts
ahhhh?
so you have the knowledge and tools to replace a barrel then???
just a note here, the barrel must be almost perfect straight in the cut or accuracy is going to be very bad.
here hold my Beer and I will show you how its done!!!-------------:beerchug:

·
Registered
32,119 Posts
Great input! I hadn't considered replacing the barrel. That might be the answer to the discoloration on the barrel as well. I am going to end up with too much in this gun to get it back, I am afraid!
Modifications made to any gun are not considered an investment, but something you are doing to make the gun fit your needs better.

I would opt for selling the gun and buying one with your preferred length of barrel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts