Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good hollow point for the TCP .380 ?

I bought a 20 round pack of the Sig Sauer Elite Performance hollow point ammo and it will not feed in my TCP at all. The 1st round chambers fine, but after that I get multiple stove pipes, FTF's and FTE's.

I have read several posts where people recommend FMJ in a .380 for penetration reasons. I have shot 150 rounds of FMJ with my TCP .380 with no problems...just wanted to check out the hollow points. Kind of a mad to have wasted $18.00 for 20 rounds that I even can't use in this pistol.

On a positive note, I do like the little gun ! With FMJ ammo it feeds great and is very accurate for a pocket gun !

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the finals for Shootingthebulls tests using the TCP.
Thanks for the information. That was very helpful. I'm still concerned why these bullets wouldn't even fed through this pistol. Kind of aprehensive to pay $20 plus for more hollow points that may or may not feed properly

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Reactions: Cariwine

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
How many rounds have you got through your pistol so far..... If you havent already, run about 2oo or more rounds through your TCP to get it broken in good before you start feeding it JHP.....Then find the ones that feed well.....These little guns can be quite finicky as to what they like to eat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have put 150 rounds of federal FMJ through it..no problems, and tried 3 magazines of the Sig Sauer hollow points, which had all sorts of problens.

Any recommendations to help make it reliably feed hollow points ? Currently only have 1 magazine to try.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey texastaurusguy, thanks for the reply, I will give the Gold Dots a try

·
Administrator
35,287 Posts
I would try a different brand of hollowpoints, one that closely mirrors the shape of a FMJ bullet. If you try a few different hp profiles and still get jams, you might look into LIGHTLY polishing the feed ramp with a dremel, if you have one. Otherwise, you'd have to send it in and have Taurus fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have put 150 rounds of federal FMJ through it..no problems, and tried 3 magazines of the Sig Sauer hollow points, which had all sorts of problens.

Any recommendations to help make it reliably feed hollow points ? Currently only have 1 magazine to try.

Thanks
Buy a box of the top 2 from the Ammo Quest video. If these do not feed for you try the 3rd and 4th place finisher. Once you find one that feeds well in your gun, keep using it. then about every 500 rounds at the range run a clip or 2 of your carry ammo just to make sure it is still working correctly.
Sorry but there is no real sure fire way to know what any gun will have trouble with, and just like a woman, after a period of time she may change her mind and not like the same old same old....:D

·
22,299 Posts
That's good advice you're giving there, gpoteat.

I carry Gold Dots and Hornaday in mine, and I don't remember either ever giving me a jam.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
All of my 380 pistols run fine on Gold Dot, Hornady FTX (although I no longer use them) , hornady XTP, Remington Golden Sabre, and COP all copper hollow point.
MY TCP originally had multiple function problems, was returned to taurus and the barrel/extractor,springs were replaced, it then ran fine but no longer carry it.
My sig 238 runs flawless on everything that I have tried and that's my pocket gun for quite a while now.
hope you find the right ammo soon.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I used Aguila 380 Auto PUNTA HUECA 90gr. It ran smoothly; fired every time; no malfunctions. I found some good info here, related to .380 Auto in a Diamondback.

"So far, I have tested three brands of ammunition in this firearm: Aguila Punta Hueca 90 Gr. TMJ, Hornady 90 Gr XTP Critical Defense, and Blazer 95 Gr TMJ. The ball-type ammunition of the Aguila Punta Hueca TMJ seemed to feed the best into the chamber - but I had the best performance out of the Hornady XTP. I would love to keep the Hornady XTP ammunition in this pistol all the time for self-defense, as I do carry this weapon, but the firearm becomes very unreliable due to misfeeds. I believe this is because of the rubber tips that are inserted into the hollow point. From what I have researched on this ammo, the rubber tip is designed to keep the bullet from mushrooming or fragmenting out until it passes through both clothing and some soft tissue. This makes all of the stopping power go into the main part of the body. I have put about 100 rounds of the XTP through the DB380, with around 50 misfeeds. Some misfeeds were bad, since the firearm has no slide lock, it sometimes took one person to rack the slide back and hold it, while another person pulled the misfed bullet out. In a self-defense situation, a misfeed could spell disaster, but a misfeed requiring two people to clear definitely spells death. From what I can tell, the rubber tip was causing too much friction on the feed ramp, causing the misfeeds. A freshly clean gun resolved the problem - BUT after around 12 rounds (two magazines full), the misfeeds started happening again. I recently switched to Aguila Punta Hueca 90 Gr. TMJ. After the switch, and about 100 rounds, only one misfeed. This ammo (so far) has the best track record. Since I've had so many finnicky issues out of the DB380 due to ammo type (not cheap ammo, but real, quality ammo) I am lowering my rating from 4 stars to 3 stars. This is still a reliable gun in a CCW situation, but it took some time to figure out what ammo was the best." <http://www.thegun411.com/?page=reviewlink&gunid=51>

I never had any problems with the JHP in my TCP.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gold Dot 90 grn. HP, LE. Mine eats 'em like nobody's business...as fast as I can pull the trigger, and they are accurate, too (only on slow fire...haha).

Jim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice ! That gives me something to go on.

Think I'll pick up some Speer Gold Dots tomorrow and give them a try.

I really like this little gun....just wish extra magazines were easier to come by !!

·
Registered
558 Posts

I bought a 20 round pack of the Sig Sauer Elite Performance hollow point ammo and it will not feed in my TCP at all. The 1st round chambers fine, but after that I get multiple stove pipes, FTF's and FTE's.

I have read several posts where people recommend FMJ in a .380 for penetration reasons. I have shot 150 rounds of FMJ with my TCP .380 with no problems...just wanted to check out the hollow points. Kind of a mad to have wasted $18.00 for 20 rounds that I even can't use in this pistol.

On a positive note, I do like the little gun ! With FMJ ammo it feeds great and is very accurate for a pocket gun !

Lehigh XP looks really good on tests I've seen. I've been carrying Hornady Critical Defense. It had some decent reviews too and feeds fine in my TCP.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

I run the standard Remington 88 grain JHP's in mine, and use them for my carry round as well. I have yet to have my 738 jam up on that HP.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
These little autos can be picky about ammo. Buff the feed ramp and under the barrel hood, they also don't like to be dirty and want a quick cleaning after about 50 rounds. The other part of the equation can be your grip or stance. With these little autos, you can find ammo that works perfect for you but won't be reliable for someone else. It is why I never let anyone use my 738. It is best to get several boxes of different type/style bullets and shoot them all until you find what you shoot best and is reliable with you pulling the trigger. I would not worry about magic bullets and just concentrate on what is the most accurate and reliable for you. A hit is always better than a near miss.

My 738 really loves those cheap Rem/UMC 88 grain JHP that have gotten hard to find in the last few years and are no longer cheap. Speer 90 grain Gold Dots are a little less accurate, followed by Federal Hydra-Shocks and anything with a Hornady 90 grain XTP. If you reload you can pretty much tailor you round to what your 738 likes.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 36 Posts