Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,077 Posts
We call them wasps up here. What we call yellowjackets are bumblebees.

PS- Epstein's warden called and said the bug committed suicide.

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics but a yellowjacket's front legs are usually much shorter than its hind legs. I would guess its a hornet, likely the common variety. The hornets around here are hard to distinguish from yellowjackets. They look much alike and for the most part, the hornets are just bigger. Their longer front legs is a good identifier but that's hard to pick that out when they're flyin' around.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to tell from the pics but a yellowjacket's front legs are usually much shorter than its hind legs. I would guess its a hornet, likely the common variety. The hornets around here are hard to distinguish from yellowjackets. They look much alike and for the most part, the hornets are just bigger. Their longer front legs is a good identifier but that's hard to pick that out when they're flyin' around.
I'm guessing a hornet too because yellow jackets are supposed to be a type of wasp. I have never seen a wasp as fat as this thing.

Was just curious because I have lived here where I'm at now since 93 and I have never seen anything like it.

·
Administrator
39,735 Posts
I’m guessing some kind of hornet. We have tons of yellowjackets here, and they don’t look like that.

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
I'm guessing a hornet too because yellow jackets are supposed to be a type of wasp. I have never seen a wasp as fat as this thing.

Was just curious because I have lived here where I'm at now since 93 and I have never seen anything like it.
You'll be amazed at what the wind will blow in. We've had a couple or few "tropical" storms come through here from down south and I've noticed some bugs and birds that aren't normally seen around here. There also seem to be color variations in some critters, I'd guess according to their relative environment. The hornets I encounter at my shop are almost all black but at my brother's house, less than two miles away, they have a noticeable amount of yellow in 'em. Where I grew up, all the garter snakes had whitish bellies but when I bought my first house only about 7 miles away, all the garter snakes there had blue or yellow bellies. Of course, in the case of this bug it's hard to tell what, if anything in its appearance may have changed since it expired.

·
Registered
31,916 Posts
Doesn't seem large enough to be a Hornet. Colors have faded or there just wasn't enough light on the photo, and curled up dead and the angle of the shot makes it look fatter than it is.

Go find and swat a Hornets nest so you can get a good look at a bunch of them, then you make the call! :)

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Doesn't seem large enough to be a Hornet. Colors have faded or there just wasn't enough light on the photo, and curled up dead and the angle of the shot makes it look fatter than it is.

Go find and swat a Hornets nest so you can get a good look at a bunch of them, then you make the call! :)
Not all hornets are 6 feet tall, ya' know. Maybe this was Kato?

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This guy did something similar.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,959 Posts
Same thing happens at my house. When I see something like that it’s DEAD!

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
S they are with a T Rex.

Are we naming a new species of hornet . . . . .Nadler Jersey Bee?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts