Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a small pocket carry TCP, and its just not going to work out. So I am currently looking for a little bigger carry for warm weather.
I see the Bersa 380 for about $300 and the PPK/S for near $600.
I know that Walther is made by S&W and that they did have some issues with the PPK a few years back.
But wondering do any of you have both?...or have shot both enough to have an opinion on which is better or if the extra bucks on the Walther are actually worth it?
Thanks for your time....

P.S. I have a PT-111 for my carry gun. My normal every day carry is covered.

·
Registered
32,094 Posts
I suspect if you had a vintage PPK made 30-40 years ago you would have a good comparison available....but there is only one person who could really do a true comparison. And only one actor could ever truly play the real "Bond, James Bond!"

bond.jpg

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have the Bersa Thunder .380 but I have only handled and shot my cousin's Interarms PPK. Her PPK liked to jam for reasons unknown to us. The newly made S&W models have some small frame changes from what I have seen, but I haven't touched one since they cost so much. My Bersa has never had problem one. She eats ball ammo and so far the few hollow point bullet loads I have tried worked fine. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the Bersa. They have a new Bersa model out now called the Combat model. Mine has a rear adjustable sight while the Combat is fixed. I would see if I can find a Combat but I think I would want to buy it if I did...

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I have read the same things about the Walthers jamming up more often than desired. I would say get a stainless Bersa and polish it all up . The Bersa has a decocker safety that I don't think the Walther has, not positive. The Bersa also has several models to choose from. The CC model is a slimmed down and dehorned 7 round version. the standard Thunder 380 with a couple finish combinations. And the Thunder deluxe witha double stack 15 round mag. I haven't held one of those to compare to the standard Bersa, but my Bersa Thunder 22 feels great in the hand.

You can also check out Bersachat.com to get more insight into the Bersa family of guns.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
youngandfree, The Deluxe model aka Bersa Thunder 380 DLX doesn't carrry a double stack mag; you are thinking of the Thunder 380 Plus at 15+1. The Deluxe and CC models are very similar but as noted, the edges are off the CC model and it is about 2-3 oz. lighter. Any Bersa Thunder is an easy carry. Someone mentioned a "combat" model. I am not familiar with this model. Bersa recently came out with their FIRST polymer framed 9mm called the BR9CC (cc is probably concealed carry). It is lightweight and has no decocker or thumb safety but has a trigger system very similar to the Glock. It is just a shade heavier than a Thunder 380 and pretty compact.

To compare the Bersa Plus to a regular single stack Bersa; weight is only slightly heavier and the grip is thicker (double stack). A PLUS sits in my hand better than the thin gripped standard single stack models but I have a large hand.

I have read the same things about the Walthers jamming up more often than desired. I would say get a stainless Bersa and polish it all up . The Bersa has a decocker safety that I don't think the Walther has, not positive. The Bersa also has several models to choose from. The CC model is a slimmed down and dehorned 7 round version. the standard Thunder 380 with a couple finish combinations. And the Thunder deluxe witha double stack 15 round mag. I haven't held one of those to compare to the standard Bersa, but my Bersa Thunder 22 feels great in the hand.

You can also check out Bersachat.com to get more insight into the Bersa family of guns.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had an Interarms Walther PPK/s, back in the 80s. and I now have a Bersa thunder 380. I remember the walther to have a much stiffer DA, and SA trigger pull. I don't remember shooting it a whole lot as I could't quite get used to the difference between DA and SA feeling. I love the Bersa, however. And it is half the price of the Walther. I can spend a bunch more on ammo. BTW, the ammo, today, is a whole lot more effective than it was.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I recently got rid of my Walther PPK in favor of a PT709. The Walther was a beautiful gun but was unreliable. I wouldn't depend on it as a carry weapon. I've got over 600 rounds through the 709 with virtually no problems other than a few ammo related issues. The 709 is thinner and lighter than the Walther yet shoots 9mm rather than .380. The Walther kicked like a mule and made my hand bleed after 100 rounds...the 709 is much gentler except for what comes out the muzzle. The Walther was pretty, but pretty doesn't help when it goes click instead of bang. By the way mine was post recall and had been back to S&W service once...It still didn't perform well.

No experience with the Bursa but I would not have another Walther.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
I'm hard pressed to keep Bersa Thunderlight .380's in the house.

Every time a family member test drives one of mine I never get it back.

All of mine have been 100% reliable, accurate and fun to shoot, and a pleasure to carry.

Their ergonomic grips are one of the first things people "wow" about.

They are also one of the few .380's on the market with a slide lock/release.

This is a big plus come speed reload time.

When you factor in th fact they are half the cost of a PPK, the choice is a no brainer to me.

...and they have excellent trigger pulls too...:)

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
The only Walther's i would willingly pay for would come out of a time warp back to the mid 70's or prior. My Polish Radom P64 was the closest i could find to one in that frame type and size while the caliber is just slightly snappier flying out that pipe. I'd go for the Bersa, the reliability and the size of the pistol in weight make it a winner in my book; the price is just a bow on top of it. I love my P64, but if it was the same weight as the Bersa it would pull pocket duty on a constant basis, even if i'm already holding my 945 on my hip. Right now it feels slightly heavier than the 945 fully loaded (8+1), and that's only with 7 little 9x18's in it.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The only Walther's i would willingly pay for would come out of a time warp back to the mid 70's or prior. My Polish Radom P64 was the closest i could find to one in that frame type and size while the caliber is just slightly snappier flying out that pipe. I'd go for the Bersa, the reliability and the size of the pistol in weight make it a winner in my book; the price is just a bow on top of it. I love my P64, but if it was the same weight as the Bersa it would pull pocket duty on a constant basis, even if i'm already holding my 945 on my hip. Right now it feels slightly heavier than the 945 fully loaded (8+1), and that's only with 7 little 9x18's in it.
OMGIWANTAPOLISHRADOMP64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
My girl friend has a PPK/S, her brother a Bersa, and I have a Bulgarian Makarov. My Makarov is more accurate and reliable in all our hands than her PPK/S, or his Bersa. Though I have to admit his Bersa did work fine.

Also, it turns into a debate between the slightly hotter 9x18 versus the 9x17 (.380).

I'd recommend a good surplus Makarov, CZ82, or CZ83 before the Bersa, or PPK/S

Maloy

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
The PPK/S I've fired belongs to a friend of mine. It is a S&W issue from a few years ago. It has never jammed in our experience, but I've only seen it feed FMJ round nose ammo.

The trigger on that PPK/S is stiffer than the Bersa's trigger. The Walther is better finished though.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the answers guys.

I heard the trigger was great, and one of you confirmed that. I'm kinda leaning towards the Bersa-
I looked at a PPK/s today at a lgs and they wanted $649 for stainless-ouch!..thats 697.67 out the door!!!...I just can't bring myself to consider this seriously.
At Academy I can get a Bersa in blue and one in satin nickel for $611.01 and have $86 for ammo.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I've owned a Bersa 380 and a good buddy of mine has a newer Walther. If your dead set on a PPK get an older interarms model, his went back to S&W and he didn't see it for 6 months, got it back and I've still seen it jam. The trigger is more then heavier then the Bersa, in double action it is close to about 15 pounds. It is smooth though. Also the Bersa actually has alot less felt recoil, the walther seems to have this snap and it's actually made the web of my hand bleed alittle shooting it, they seemed to of worked that out in the Bersa, perhaps because the Bersa has abit more of a bevertail on it so it tends to keep the muzzle down while firing. Compaired to the S&W Walther a Bersa 380 is a downright dream to shoot... and mine never failed on me, my buddies walther... well let's just say I like picking on him that he got a 600 dollar paperweight, but he's a HUGE james bond fan so he had to get the Walther... btw, he bought me Bersa off of me, generally the Walther sits in the safe and he carrys the Bersa :p

Now the Bersa actually has a slightly longer barrel and slide to and of course is rougher finished, the trigger mechanism on the bersa is also different it has this transfer bar that runs on the outside of the right side of the frame, the walthers is all internal... perhaps this is why the Bersa is so much lighter... I would say the double action is right around 6 pounds or so. I would also say the Bersa's take down is abit easier I mean both are simple but the walthers take down you pull the trigger guard down and kinda move it to the side, when I would do a takedown of the walther you'd have to watch that that trigger guard doesn't kinda kick back into position it has a tendency to want to slip back into position and it's kinda ennoying, the Bersa has this lever on the right side you push forward with your trigger finger and work the slide with your left hand, simple simon. The Bersa's not just the 380s, I had a mini 45 at one point and their so easy to take down it's stupid. The 45 I had all you'd do is drop the mag push that lever forward and pull the slide off you wouldn't even have to lock it back.

If you want a pretty looking collectors item get the PPK, their beautifully finished guns and I would actually like to have one in my collection someday, just because their beautiful guns... but if you want a shooter that's more reliable get the Bersa.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
perhaps because the Bersa has abit more of a bevertail on it so it tends to keep the muzzle down while firing.

. . . the trigger mechanism on the bersa is also different it has this transfer bar that runs on the outside of the right side of the frame . . . I would also say the Bersa's take down is . . . the Bersa has this lever on the right side you push forward with your trigger finger and work the slide with your left hand, simple simon.
The Bersa has a lot of Italian (Beretta) influence even though the basic idea comes from the Walther. I like the Bersa for that.

"Bersa . . . The company was founded in the mid 1950s by Italian immigrants Benso Bonadimani, Ercole Montini and Savino Caselli, all of them mechanical engineers. Montini worked for Beretta in Italy"
- Bersa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have shot the Bersa several times. I liked it so much, I bought one for my wife, and my daughter. Wish I would have kept one for myself. No issues with either of these. HP, or FMJs. But I decided to carry the 709 Slim instead. Still would not feel underpowered with the BT.380

Paul

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Bersa has a lot of Italian (Beretta) influence even though the basic idea comes from the Walther. I like the Bersa for that.
Of course, Beretta has a lot of Walther influence (Beretta's first semi-auto handgun was copied to a large degree from the Walther P-38 ). Just a side note.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did you buy it, Chic? Looks nice! Beautiful patina on the barrel.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I picked up a Bersa today. Unfortunately the only one they had was in the kit with the extra walnut grips, and the rubber wrap around on the gun. Wound up just under $350 out the door. I would have been happy without the extra grips and the $40 in my pocket.
But, anyway popped off about 4 mags and it shoots good- no problem with the el-cheapo Monarch that My TCP refused to eat.
I'm feeling better now- my TCP is finally on its way for another tune up, and Im playing with the Thunder 380. I think I will like it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts