Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I learned my lesson the last time ammo got hard to get. I loaded up and when I shot a box, a new box, or sometimes two or three was bought to replace it. I've got a lot of 9mm, most of it the usual 115gr stuff, from many manufacturers, a fair amount of .380, and a lot of .22. The only one I'm low on is .45 ACP, and I have bought 2 .45 guns recently, so if I shoot them much, it will be gone quick. As soon as we can, a friend and I are going to the range to shoot, and it's going to be all 9mm, as we both have plenty. And if I was to go through all my boxed ammo, I have about 1500 rounds of bulk stuff. Not the greatest, but OK for range use.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Gosh I have been reloading since about 1969-70 so I haven't ran into many times that I was short on ammo actually.
It is interesting to see how people are shocked when the store clerk says sorry but we don't have any---- and don't know when we will get a shipment in however.
A friend of good friend and neighbor bought a new gun (his first) a few weeks back, he bought 1 box of 380 FMJ at time of purchase, he didn't get any carry ammo.
he a few days later tried to find some and could not, so I gave him 50 rounds of carry ammo, 25 Gold Dots and 25 XTP.
he owes me big !

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
As to big box stores, forget Walmart. They don't even sell/stock handgun ammunition any longer. Same for rimfire.
Actually, they do. I have 3 WalMarts within 10 minutes of me and they haven't quite depleted their stock . . .yet. True, WalMart central has decided to not order any more but each store still has their supply. They, of course, have .308, 30/30 and 30-06 and sell the rifles, to boot. They never intended to stop rifles and rifle ammo but several of them still have some pistol left over. In fact, WalMart is the ONLY source of Federal 130 grain 38 SPCL +P - the round that looks like it was loaded backwards into the cartridge. None of the LGS have ever carried it.

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you close to middletown? I've got about 30 lbs of steel case I have no intention of shooting this year. (Caught the wheelgun bug) I'll give ya a handful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome! I've been pretty lucky just cycling through the online markets and scooping up whatever I can grab. Lucky gunner, NatchezSS, Brownells, 1800--which recently changed their name I think

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Folks always like to make the distinction between defensive ammo and range ammo, and I understand why.

In times like we have been seeing, and a supercharged diametrically opposed political landscape, one side calling for revolution and lawlessness, the most important thing is to have ammo in your firearm. If you can't have hollow points, then by all means, you load up those full metal jackets. Even folks with good stocks of both defensive ammo and range ammo do consider the range ammo to be used when and if you would run out of defensive ammo, although for most of us, we would most likely be dead well before running out of defensive ammo, if we had to use that much.

Sure, there is a over penetration issue and smaller wound channels with fmj. All of the wars of the last century and so far in this millennium have been fought with FMJ. So, the most important thing is to carry a loaded gun.

Reactions: Konyo312

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Good luck finding ammo. My cousin was asking me the other day where to find some. 9mm seems to be the hardest to find.

I've been finding some at Gander Outdoors for normal pre-pandemic prices.

Another source might be the range. My cousin called a couple ranges and found they were selling 9mm at $20/bx if shooting at the range. If not, they will charge closer to $30/bx.

I think Sportsman's Guide is selling backordered ammo, but you may not get it for a month or more.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
During one of the ammo shortages, I went to the range with my 80s and 90s ammo. Everyone was staring cause I was burning through ammo. One guy told me I must be rich. I showed him the $6/box price tags and said, "Nope. Just prepared."

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
The funny thing is, a friend told me it was a good idea to always buy a box of ammo here and there just to keep the cartridge manufacturers running and to pile up ammo throughout the year. Now I can appreciate why he does that. Lol
Back when Walmart sold handgun ammo, I used to buy a box just so I could check out at sporting goods and not have to stand in line at the front of the store.

Reactions: Konyo312

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
Sure glad I handloads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have other calibers of ammo? If I were you check for trade deals like on ArmsList or local network. Word of mouth at your LGS and such.
I just gotta axe tho- if ya couldn't find ammo why'd ya buy the pistol?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fortunately I reload and also own several pistols in varying calibers. Here in Eastern Oregon pistol ammo comes in every couple weeks but is gone quick.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts