Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ammo shortage is so bad in PA, can’t even practice shooting with my new G2C. A friend gave me a few hollow points to hold on to. And another gave me enough fmj to fill my mag. Incase I ever need it. Pretty sad bout it though. I wanna shoot this puppy

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
Obviously, you don't reload. So, you reap what you sew. :D

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the board. If you wanna chat about handloading your own, perhaps we can help out. I haven't tried to see what availability is for handgun ammo. I make it as I need it. It does kinda suck that the cheap ammo is a thing of the past, though. For a while there it was so cheap I didn't bother to load it. :D

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Welcome to the TaurusArmed Family.

Just curious, are you a first time gun owner? Rest assured that you are not the only person in your position, I'm quite sure that there are many with a firearm and NO ammunition.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
The ammo shortage is so bad in PA, can’t even practice shooting with my new G2C. A friend gave me a few hollow points to hold on to. And another gave me enough fmj to fill my mag. Incase I ever need it. Pretty sad bout it though. I wanna shoot this puppy
The trick to finding ammo, is going to big box stores (that carry ammo) when they first open in the mornings, or very shortly after. opening. Big Box stores usually get shipments from central distribution warehouses, and the shipments arrive early morning and are unloaded before opening for the day. Local gun shops don't get the priority during ammo shortage times like big box stores do.

Big box chains usually have minimum contracts with the ammo manufactures. Also, shipping charges to local gun shops raise the cost.

Sometimes, department managers and clerks in the big box stores will know what is on the shipping manifests ahead of time, and if you will ask when they expect the next shipment of 9mm ammo, they may know, or may not know...but it never hurts to ask. Usually, big box stores get shipments on certain nights of the week. Just knowing when the next truck is bringing in a shipment, decreases your chance of making a dry run.

With local gun shops, ask if you can leave your name and number and what you are looking for, and they will usually try to accomadate you and hopefully get a loyal customer.

Welcome to TA.net and a great group of folks except for a couple of crabby guys!:)

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
As to big box stores, forget Walmart. They don't even sell/stock handgun ammunition any longer. Same for rimfire.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
8,321 Posts
Welcome to TA.net and a great group of folks except for a couple of crabby guys!

Hey I ain't no CRABBY guy..I am down right nasty and mean..But really welcome to the best firearms forum on the web. Wish I had a secret to share about getting ammo for your new pistol. But I don't.
I watch gundeals.com several times a day, occasionally there is some 9mm listed, today Sportsmans guide was selling 1000 rounds of Wolf 9mm for under $250. It isn;t brass or very clean, but it works. Personally I learned my lesson the last time and dove into reloading. I load 380,38,357,9mm,45acp,44 special and magnum. However now is not a good time to start reloading, because components are over priced or not available.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
As to big box stores, forget Walmart. They don't even sell/stock handgun ammunition any longer. Same for rimfire.
My local Walmart had plenty of 22lr today, at reasonable prices too. They're also selling 22lr rifles and shotguns also, or rather they have them for sale. Didn't see anyone buying them. Most of the 22lr's were lever action, but they did have one that appeared to be a semi auto tube fed. In my area though riots are something you hear about on the news that is happening hundreds or thousands of miles away.

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. Good luck with your search, it should get somewhat better in 6-8 weeks. I hand load so I'm OK, but have gotten caught with my pants down before on primers and powder. Never bad enough to stop me from loading, but did have to get accustomed to using brands and products that I wasn't familiar with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys! Thanks for the welcome. Yes I am new to pistol owning(have shot a few pistols before though)

I bought my first gun because the motels around me have been flooding with drug addicts from Philadelphia to my suburbs. Wanted to be able to protect my loved ones with more than my fists.

As for the ammo, I appreciate the advice about the box stores. I will try doing that ASAP. A couple of my gun friends said I can swing by for a box of 9mm just so I can have some. (Gun community has been very nice to me. Very kind and caring people) so I’ll get a box from my people.

Wish I could get a few cheap boxes to target train with my new pistol. I’d hate to spend $50 a box for 9mm to shoot at the range. I’d go broke lol. But for now, I have the pistol for my self defense. Which is why I bought it. The fun at the range will just have to wait...

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Be sure to clean and lightly lube your new pistol. Sometimes they come new from the factory with a lot of dirt and gunk in them (regardless of brand).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel your pain! I'm down here in New Orleans and our big box stores, Academy Sports can't keep up with the demand. Last time I was there I did manage to get 30/30 and 20 gauge. No pistol ammo at all. This sucks.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new gun.
Ammo will start coming back as soon as the civil uncertainty dies down. That may not be til next spring!
When it does just don't forget how hard it is to get now.....so always keep a few boxes- never run out again.

·
Administrator
39,361 Posts
The funny thing is, a friend told me it was a good idea to always buy a box of ammo here and there just to keep the cartridge manufacturers running and to pile up ammo throughout the year. Now I can appreciate why he does that. Lol
I do the same thing. You’ll be surprised what you can accumulate, buying that way.

·
Super Moderator
13,763 Posts
If you prefer to shop at a local gun store instead of the big box stores, I suggest that you visit more often than usual. I am going to my LGS at least twice a week, and on my last trip I found some 20 round boxes of steel-cased 308 at less than 50 cents/cartridge. I snapped up all that they had in stock. (Granted, the manufacturer is in Russia, but neither I, nor my 308, care. :) )

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new gun.
Ammo will start coming back as soon as the civil uncertainty dies down. That may not be til next spring!
When it does just don't forget how hard it is to get now.....so always keep a few boxes- never run out again.
The funny thing is, a friend told me it was a good idea to always buy a box of ammo here and there just to keep the cartridge manufacturers running and to pile up ammo throughout the year. Now I can appreciate why he does that. Lol
It's a difficult time to be a new owner and to feed a self-defense firearm. Those of us that have been thru this before usually keep some available. Then when hard times come around (again), it's a lot easier to replace ammo than to find ammo because you don't have any. Welcome and good luck with the new pistol. Have fun and be safe.

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
I think your best bet is to buy from an online source. You get stuck paying the shipping fees on top of the high cost of today's ammo, but at least you can find it. Here's one source that will usually be able to steer you to the ammo you want. Welcome from one of your PA. neighbors! https://ammoseek.com

Reactions: Bedevere13

·
Registered
36,019 Posts

HMMM--OK-- so why you got the FMJ in the clippy thang instead of the Hollow points?
does bad guys allow you to call a time out in PA when they attack you to allow you to put the Hollow points in the clippy and chamber the round?
PEE S--I may be one of dem crabby old guys they were talking bout?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts