Taurus Firearm Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
But these guys want to carry out their plan to inflict as much damage as possible WITHOUT INTERRUPTION.(armed resistance)

Arkon said:
I think road rage proves this point quite well.
We've had a lot less road rage in Florida since they've allowed people to carry guns in their cars. I remember back in '88 I believe when they made it legal there were a few "exchanges" on I-95 during the first month, then after that it quieted down quite a bit. People don't even flip each other off anymore. Because" You never know".

yes guns have a way of making everyone very civil.. i know some people talk about snobs and commandos at gun ranges but other then some lively discussion i can't say i've ever had a foul word exchanged between me and people at the range..

everyones friendly sharing guns and talking about that impossible shot they made.. or that easy shot they missed..

maybe i've been lucky or maybe guns have a way of chilling people out i dunno.

I don't quite remember which forum or thread, but the shooter that went into the courthouse and shot up the Council Chambers knew exactly what he was doing. It of course was a GUN FREE ZONE and he knew it. First shot fired was to kill the LEO outside the courthouse and then inside, the next shot was the LEO inside the chambers. Now it truely was a GUN FREE ZONE. He controlled all the options. I am frankly getting tired of hearing about these crimes. If just one person armed, stood up to the BG, the results would be different.

John Stossel of 20/20 did a report not too long ago, where he interviewed cons in prison, who were in for armed robbery and armed assualt. When asked, how they chose their targets,they said they were looking for a pigeon that was not aware of their surroundings and could be intimidated quickly and with very little effort. When asked, what they (the cons) feared when they went to attack the pigeon, they ALL said they feared that the person might be armed. As for me, CASE CLOSED.

I was held up at gun point many years ago in Miami. I was a desk clerk while going to college. The man pointed his 22 revolver to my temple and demanded the cash box. After a few tense moments and numerous I'll blow your f---in head off, he departed with the cash. In the last year, I witnessed a BG as he attempted to burgle the clothes shop that is attached to my B&B. He was looking to come into our side of the inn when he decided to scram. I felt helpless since I did not have a weapon to protect my family or the guests that filled my inn that night. Unfortunately, the 911 center that night was breaking in a rookie and the response was not quick enough to catch the BG. At this point in time, there is protection for my family and business. I have my ccw and will take classes to make sure that I will be ready if the time comes.

As legal American Citizen (First family member arrived in America in 1628) I have been given the right to bear arms and to carry concealed. I will do so. I am not looking for the fight, but to protect that which I love and own. Proper training and taking the responsibilty of gun ownership is my duty.

Thanks for letting me rant.

North Star

Dennis2477 said:
One thing I think most people overlook when discussing guns on campus, or any other "gun free zone", is that it is the lack of people's ability to fight back that draws these nut jobs to open fire. If students had been permitted to be armed at Virginia Tech or NIU, do you think these guys would have gone there to shoot? Think about it. Armed citizens, even the chance that someone may be armed, is an obvious deterrent to this type of activity. You don't hear of mass shootings at gun shows, do you?
Just food for thought.
Dennis
Amen, well said.
You have to ask yourself, will you protect yourself or family or allow them to be harmed. That is the essence of self DEFENSE. Be willing to use it or leave it at home.

As I'm still a college student. Heres my opinion. Campuses dont provide a decent safe envrionment. Classess that end at 11pm at night and pitch black giant parking lots is never a good idea. Although I'd appreciate being able to carry on campus, I dont like the fact of stressed out, immature college kids given the right to carry. A dumb argument over a parking spot turns into a gun being pulled. At the same time anyone can walk in with a weapon and do what they please. So its a bit of a double edged sword. We should in the meantime definately increase the amount of armed police on campus as a start. I just dont know if allowing weapons on campus will solve more problems than it creates.

Some states are considering legislation, that would allow students who are already CCW, qualified to carry their guns, either concealed or at the least in their vehicles. With todays gun safes, and boxes, even having a gun for a qualified individual should be no more dangerous than in the dorms or class rooms, than it is for me to carry going to church or the mall.

This argument was used in many places before CCW's came about in many states. "I dont like the fact of stressed out, immature college kids given the right to carry. A dumb argument over a parking spot turns into a gun being pulled." But after the fact, problems decreased. I cannot nor can you say that this would happen on campus, but more than likely nothing would change. Now in states that require no training, or qualification all bets are off.

I agree. I agree for all the right people to carry but where and how do you draw the line.

In MN, you have to be 21 to get you permit. I've met quite a lot of 21 year old college students who are quite mature and don't think for a minute they'd flip out over issues like parking. Just the oppposite, in fact. Statistically, gun permit holders are less likely to commit a crime - at least in MN.

I had a permit and carried occasionally in college. I don't know if I violated state law, as this was at least 15 years before MN became a shall issue state. I never shot any one. ;)

I think the immaturity argument is a non-starter. Kinda like the "blood in the streets" arguments

bugs said:
Although I'd appreciate being able to carry on campus, I dont like the fact of stressed out, immature college kids given the right to carry. A dumb argument over a parking spot turns into a gun being pulled.
I assume knives and blunt objects are legal on campus. How many stabbings and severe beatings have occurred because of parking spots?

Doctor_Venkman said:
I assume knives and blunt objects are legal on campus. How many stabbings and severe beatings have occurred because of parking spots?
Look around anywhere and you will see all kind of high tec fighting knives carried by just about every man you run across. I have yet to see a case where someone jumped out of thier car and pulled thier knife on someone for a parking place. And yes I carry a vary sharp and not cheep knife and have had profesional traing on how to use it. I haven't had to pull a knife in 30 years and I was out numbered 3 to 1 when the cops showed up they had no problem with what I did and said I was right to do so. Having a gun would be just like my knife there for those times that are needed. I've been in altercations without even thinking of drawing my knife, it was not warrented.!!!!

Gee, I worked at airports for 34 years, and until 9/11, I carried a knife everyday. There after until I retired I was not able to carry my knife, as it would have been considered just as bad as if I was carrying a gun. (I did go on airplanes every day. Not just work at the airport itself). I felt naked without my knife. The first month after I retired I bought a new carry knife, and I am not talking a fingernail cleaner type knife.
I felt reasonably able to protect myself personally with a knife. However, as the world turns today, after 9/11, I felt a need to add a gun to my protection. I also have never had to pull a knife on anyone and probably never will have too. I hope the same is true about my carry guns. But they are present if needed, and I am continuing to learn how to effectively use them both.

Getting a little of subject here, but in 1973 I responded to a homicide where two fellas got into an altercation over the spider in a whiskey bottle (last few drops). One gent used his pocket knife on the other. Loser bled out in a matter of minutes. Probably faster than with a gunshot wound. Knives are bad news, if you're on the recieving end. :eek:

Doctor_Venkman said:
I've known first hand classmates(and a good friend) being stabbed for no reason walking home one night. I know of another being mugged at knife point, and another at gunpoint. Another good friend got his car stolen during class. This is on two different campuses in two different states over the past years. I'm sure a lot depends on the campus area. But yes theres been fights on campus and violent acts over things as minimal as parking spots. Will allowing some of these people to carry make it safer or result in more violent acts. A gun in the right hands is always a good idea, but I dont think the concealed permit alone gives someone the right to carry on campus. I think the campus should have its own screening process based of gpa, background check, professor reccomendations, etc.

bugs said:
I've known first hand classmates(and a good friend) being stabbed for no reason walking home one night. I know of another being mugged at knife point, and another at gunpoint. Another good friend got his car stolen during class. This is on two different campuses in two different states over the past years. I'm sure a lot depends on the campus area. But yes theres been fights on campus and violent acts over things as minimal as parking spots. Will allowing some of these people to carry make it safer or result in more violent acts.
Sounds like you need to go to a better school. If I went there, I would DEFINITELY want my gun.

A gun in the right hands is always a good idea, but I dont think the concealed permit alone gives someone the right to carry on campus. I think the campus should have its own screening process based of gpa, background check, professor reccomendations, etc.
What makes a college campus any different than a mall or shopping center? Why should I (as a student or a visitor) have any less right to defend myself at a college? Especially if that particular campus has a history of muggings and stabbings.

I keep hearing about the the age 21 being to immature to handle the responcability of carring a gun. But that is the law and 21 year old cops carry and us regular folks to. so your saying only highly educated 21 year old's can't handle a gun. take a trip to the country and you'll find teenagers carring while working the farms. Hell it wasn't that long ago that you couldn't carry a gun to school during hunting season on the gun rack of your truck.

Well on the gun rack and gun in the truck. Still many places, with 0 tolerance for guns at anytime on school grounds. Here, if you do not have permission of the school admin's, schools are a no carry zone.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.