Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How many bring a defensive gun along while camping?

• No, why would I?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, handgun(s)

• Yes, long gun(s)

• Yes, both

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on another (non-gun) forum and I noticed how many peoples camping gear lists included a firearm. This got me thinking so I figured I'd ask. Also why do you chose to bring something with, beyond your normal reasons for carrying?

For me, I bring my normal carry gun(s) when in the southern part of the state but I either add or swap for something that can deal with largish clawed threats when I journey to the northern reaches. Regardless of what I'm bringing, I add extra ammo.

Steelheart

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
If I were in the wild ... I'd have more than my 45. If nothing more than the lake parks, I'd carry what I usually have anyways.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I don't own any long guns, so my answer is obvious. Even my .357 is only marginal at best, but it's all I currently have.
I would probably also take the 9mm, but only for practice.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Camping in parks (national, state, etc.) can be "iffy" legally, but I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Chef said:
Camping in parks (national, state, etc.) can be "iffy" legally, but I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
Not in TX. ;) As long as you are licensed.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Mn its legal to carry in State Parks (as long as you have a Carry Permit) but that point had to get pushed a bit the first year or so. And besides, concealed means concealed. And it can be comforting a couple miles from anywhere on a trail, especially where there's no cell service.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So vote for both, thats why the option is there.

Steelheart

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're a long way from help when out camping and you'd better be prepared to look after yourself, if needed. Like any other time I leave my house, I'm armed. Used to carry a 7 round .357. Now, my wife carries 5 rounds of .38+p and I have 10 rounds of .45 in my 24/7 pro. I live in Washington state. Last year, two women (a mother and daughter) were out for a day hike. They were slaughtered by person or persons unknown for no apparent reason. Can't help but wonder what the result might have been had they been armed. Evil can appear anywhere at any time and I don't plan to accede to it..........!

·
Registered
34 Posts
While out in the so called wilds of Montana, I carry my Taurus 44C in a cross draw, the lever gun 30-30 is just a natural to take along, and the wife carry's the .38 and bear spray. I'm not concerned with the animals if I were, I wouldn't go into the woods period. There have been more problems with two legged varmints than with four legged ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i lived in montana for 6 years and was convinced by those in my congregations and communities that a good sized handgun in the mountains is a good thing to have. i guess that mindset has followed me to minnesota. used to carry my .357. now it's one of my .40s. my thinking is there is not much difference in caliber effectiveness between the two and eleven rounds of .40 is better than six of .357.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We have a camp in PA. I have allways carryed concealed and my wife keeps her Sp101 close by at all times. We allso keep a Riot Gun with 12g. slugs, after Mr Bear stopped to visit. He didn't do anything but sniff around but we aren't taking chances. I worry more about people than I do critters.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey Drummin man, ain't nothing marginal about a .357 magnum.

I always carry, so when in the wilderness I carry concealed if "civilians" are around, open if not, or in hunting camp. Usually .45 acp or .357 for two legged predators, long gun(s) for the four legged type. :guns:

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Thanks pioneer461. For two legged preditors I don't worry. For aligators, I don't worry. But, if I ran accross a 400lb sow with cubs, I would be wishing for more "heat". Thank goodness I don't travel through that area very often.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I camp here in Arizona way deep in the high country forests just to be away from people so I can shoot. I bring the 24/7 pro .45, my pt111, the AK and the 12 Ga every time I camp. I sometimes scare my non-gun friends but usually by the end of a weekend they're begging me to let em unload another mag into a tree stump topped with empty beer cans! 8)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like fun!

Steelheart

·
Registered
625 Posts
In Texas, it is legal to carry a handgun on a state park, as long as yuou have a CHL and keep it concealed. It is illegal to carry on Federal Parks or Federal lands in general. While hunting on a state WMA (Wildlife Management AREA) I carry my M44, because I might encounter pigs. But on a park, I carry my typical carry gun; either a PT145 or my Smith 642 snub .38 with +P ammo.

Some tips...
Alligators: An alligator can outrun a human for short bursts, but only in a straight direction. If you are threatened, cut a zig-zag path and he'll never catch you.

Mountain Lions: If you are threatened, make a lot of noise and stand as tall as possible. Mountain Lions tend to prey on the weak or sickly.

Bear: Bend over, pucker up, and kiss that butt goodbye!

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's another bit of advice for dealing with bears if you're with others. You don't have to outrun the bear, just your slowest companion. Just practice tripping your buddies....

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.