Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any advice on a camp stove. This will be for car camping and for a family of 4. My impulse was to go with the Coleman propane as the ruggedness of those fuel burning Coleman's are legendary. But after reading the reviews on Amazon for the 50$ propane model I was less enthusiastic.

Amazon.com: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove: Sports & Outdoors

Seems some folks didn't think the craftsmanship was there for this one. I know you get what you pay for.

I'd like to stick with propane as my lanterns run of of the stuff.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
31,748 Posts
I have seen some exotics with stainless steel that look built like tanks, but you are talking serious money. In the $50 range, Coleman is better than the competition like Ozark or any of the other low end brands. I've mostly used Coleman products on Camp stoves for over 40 years and mostly had no problems. I did build heavy plywood boxes for the lanterns and the stove though and lined them with carpet. I just wish I had build them with 1/2 plywood instead of 3/4" plywood. Camping equipment goes a long way towards shtf gear.

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Like everything else out there, I don't think Coleman's qualtiy is what it used to be by a long shot. But unless you are willing to spend more money then I don't think you are going to find much better.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Well you could try this....

1.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

·
Registered
31,748 Posts
The greatest thing ever, my father in law had these really big three burner colemans from the 50's, these must have been for large groups, built like tanks, converted to propane and I wonder what he did with those, damn, I would have liked to had one of them.

Just go to about three or four sporting goods stores and see what is offered, make your decision and order the one you like best. Also, look at buying the kits that allow you to run off of larger propane tanks, and a tree splitter so you can run the stove and lantern off of the larger tank source.

·
10,379 Posts
I generally use a wood fire or charcoal grill. That being said, I bought a propane tripod type burner for my canning season. It's basically just a portable single burner, I think the turkey deep fryers come with the same thing. Cost me $20 at Gander Mountain. Definitely big enough to cook whatever you'd like and fairly gas efficient, I was able to do all of my canning on less than one tank...that thing ran for hours. Seriously thinking about getting the double burner version ($90 @ Gander) for my ma for cooking down the maple sap during syrup season.

·
Registered
31,748 Posts
One very big thing in favor of Coleman is parts availability. Do get a heavy stove or one that will handle heating a gallon of water.

Most of the camping we do is in campgrounds with baths and showers, but occasionally, we have made dry camp and even a sponge bath and a gallon of warm water can sure make you feel a lot better.

Coleman does have several lines of stoves and lanterns. You will, depending on your age, get 30 years of use and still have something for an estate sale when you go to the old folks home. A folding oven is great for cooking biscuits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts