Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...............I've started the last couple years going into the mountains on the Wyoming/Montana border. With the recent griz attacks I've been pondering something better than my 9mm and .45 AP. So I should be picking my order from the Gun Genie Monday. A Ruger Super Blackhawk. Already processing new Starline brass with Missouri Bullet Co 240 gr SWC. However I think I'll get a sample pack of the 300gr "Hammer". I love chemistry!

·
22,978 Posts
So, what caliber!? Sounds like .45 Colt, but...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
A Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 or 5.5 inch barrel is tough to beat for the great outdoors... Those SA are just crazy simple ....

·
Super Moderator
37,252 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Very nice! I bought a used SBH with a 10.5" bbl a while back. It's a great shooting gun. Unbreakable, I think.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Nice revolver, I have one also.
I learned from experience either pad the back of the trigger guard or your middle finger because the trigger guard bashes that finger with every shot. It becomes painful after 40 or 50 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
It here in my hands, I love it!
That is a great looking pistol! Any particular reason you went with a SA rather than a DA/SA revolver for bear? If I were facing down a bear I would be thinking something that shoots as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I’d want to release my inner “Jerry Miculek” on ‘em instead of my inner “Bob Munden” . . . . but, that’s me.

Reactions: misPhyr

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I'm wondering the same. The Ruger Super Blackhawk is a great gun, but I would want something along the lines of a Super Redhawk. If I would have had my Blackhawk on me a number of years ago when a couple of Rottweilers tried to have me as lunch or at least a chew toy, they might have won. CZ75 B "cocked and locked" ruled the day!

Maloy

That is a great looking pistol! Any particular reason you went with a SA rather than a DA/SA revolver for bear? If I were facing down a bear I would be thinking something that shoots as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I’d want to release my inner “Jerry Miculek” on ‘em instead of my inner “Bob Munden” . . . . but, that’s me.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a great looking pistol! Any particular reason you went with a SA rather than a DA/SA revolver for bear? .
Well, two reasons. As much as a .44 recoils, with practice I imagine I'll have time to thumb the hammer as needed. I love to practice. Number two, it's will look good next to my R92.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Personally, if I were going to be hiking/fishing/hunting/etc in Grizzly country, (which I never intend on doing, but I digress) then I would carry a Mossberg Shockwave or Remington Tac-14. 12 Gauge is widely acknowledged as being a top dog when it comes to wilderness defense due to the vide variety of loads one could carry to suit just about anything, the smaller size/shorter OAL would make it easy to carry/ready, and unlike revolvers/pistols there's arguably less to worry about in terms of malfunction.

That being said, I am by no means an expert and I'm merely stating what I would personally carry, not knocking anybody else for their own choices.

Reactions: MoKen

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Can't argue that. One of the main reasons I have a 92 is the same. The 92 looks good beside my Blackhawks.

Maloy

Well, two reasons. As much as a .44 recoils, with practice I imagine I'll have time to thumb the hammer as needed. I love to practice. Number two, it's will look good next to my R92.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I din't qualify it by saying I travel on a motorcycle so handgun size is convenient.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Speaking of “Number two”

That’s kinda why I would go with the SRH. One hand to point and shoot and the other hand to hold up my britches which would be slo. . . . QUICKLY filling up with, well, . . . you know!

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
I din't qualify it by saying I travel on a motorcycle so handgun size is convenient.
So, what kind of bike goes well with bear?

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
Long barrel on that beast. I'd go crossdraw with it. :D The square back trigger guard on the SBHs have a rep for middle finger bashing. I don't have that problem with my blackhawks, but then, I don't shoot my hot load much out of my .45. It could get irritating with 50 rounds, especially the Li'l Gun load. :D I load light for normal use. I carry a heavy 300 grain load when hog hunting in case I have to go blood trailing a wounded pig. I've put 'em down before with .357, but more is better for anything that might hurt ya. :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts