Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to order some components and dies for my new .327 Fed Mag 5.5" barreled Ruger Bisley. The little one on the bottom.

My Bisleys1.jpg

Looking for heavy for caliber lead, powder coated, and/or jacketed bullets for reloading. Also, load data for same. All the load data seems to run out past 115-120 grains.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yeah - Hodgdon and Alliant reload data on line cut out at 115gr bullets max.

Sure you've seen them but with 115gr bullets IMR Target and Alliant 2400 will get you over 1300 fps AND
with a 100gr bullet 296 will get you to 1525 fps.
Interesting that they drop 296 on a 115 bullet for data though.

Good luck with the hunt!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick look at the cylinder with a tape measure, it looks like 1 7/8" long, maybe 1 15/16".

I am not looking for a flame thrower, high concussion, blinding load. The faster powders are probably where I want to be. Power Pistol, Universal Clays, Unique, AA#7, Titegroup, W-231, Autocomp all look good for what I want, and I have plenty of that on hand.

Buffalo Bore shows their .327 Fed Mag Heavy load using a 130 grain SWC bullet, anyone know where they get it?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Google is my friend. I found some cast bullets up to 140 grains.

Reed's Ammo & Research. A good selection of .32 cal bullets including 130 grain Keith SWC, 135 grain HP, and 140 grain FP, none with gas checks.
https://shop.reedsammo.com/32-Caliber-Cast-Bullets_c285.htm

Montana Bullet Works, all with gas checks.
125 grain Flat Nose: https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product/3220-lbt-125gr-fn-gc/

Additionally, 135 grain and 120 grain among others with gas Checks: https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product-category/pistol/?filter_caliber=3220

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I found that my Single 7, with the short cylinder gets 100 grain bullets, maximum. If you start putting longer bullets in the case you are creating excessive pressures or....you are reducing powder capacity. I use heavier bullets in my Taurus 327B2 and both of my SP-101's in 327. I also found that the faster powders...HS-6, Power Pistol, even True Blue and A#7 tend to peak pressure too soon. I use 2400 successfully with bullet weights from 100 gr. on up. I'm experimenting with other powders in the same range as 2400, inconclusively. I've been working with the 327 since '09 and still don't have a handle on it. I like it and will get it unkinked. Back in the early 80's it took me almost 6 years to figure out a cartridge, but I finally got it. I'll get the 327 nailed down for me too, eventually....

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
PM Sent.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got an email from Henry Repeating Rifles With this in it.

"H012MR327 - Big Boy Steel Carbine .327 Fed Mag
It's an oddball caliber for sure, but once you run a few rounds through this rifle you'll see why we had to make it. It's the pinnacle of power in this diameter cartridge, and it's a perfect fit for the Big Boy Steel Carbine. Don't knock it until you try it!
MSRP $893"

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I just got an email from Henry Repeating Rifles With this in it.

"H012MR327 - Big Boy Steel Carbine .327 Fed Mag
It's an oddball caliber for sure, but once you run a few rounds through this rifle you'll see why we had to make it. It's the pinnacle of power in this diameter cartridge, and it's a perfect fit for the Big Boy Steel Carbine. Don't knock it until you try it!
MSRP $893"
They ARE sweet!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.32 reloading questions:

1. Will a .32 ACP taper crimp die work on the .32 H&R Mag/.327 Fed Mag? I see other taper crimp dies for the .32 S&W Long/.32 H&R Mag/.327 Fed Mag and they say it requires the bullet have a crimp grove. That sounds an awful lot like the Lee FCD die and not a true taper crimp die.

2. I assume the Lee FCD is the best roll crimp die?

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I called Lee one day a while back asking about their Factory Crimp Dies, the person I spoke with told me they all start as a taper crimp and continue on to a roll crimp no matter what caliber (revolver or semi auto) they are.

I use plated bullets and do a very light roll crimp into the copper jacket. I have not been able to source plated .312 bullets with a cannelure to crimp into. That is one of the reasons I have been requesting everyone to email [email protected] requesting one.

I have found that a tighter crimp allows for better powder burn and more consistent cartridges.

You may be able to make the .32 ACP die work, I have no experience with them however the neck size is only 0.0005 different if I read the figures correctly.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
"Handloader" magazine (Febuary 2015) has some good loads from Hornady 85 gr to Rim Rock SWC Keith bullets 130 gr.

I ordered an old copy and it is worth the read. The Single Seven review is also excellent.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have that very magazine in front of me. I guess I am going to have to get the digital version the next time I reorder the magazine, just for the access to their searchable archives. I have been using it to enter reference load data into a spreadsheet on cartridges I load. The .327 Fed Mag and .32 H&R Mag are new cartridges to me, and Brian Pearce is one of those writers whose work I trust the most.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Late to this thread, and have nothing to offer on re-loading info, but I just had to say that is one handsome revolver!!! LOVE that Bisley grip - DH would love to have one!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got lucky on a demonstrator, but I hear this is Ruger sale month and they have a new .327 Ruger Bisley debuting with a 4.75" barrel. My LGS, according to an email I got from Ruger is supposed to have the new model in stock, but I have not been by there to check the price.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got this advert from my LGS for the Ruger Sale. I noticed that the CEO of Ruger and the CEO of Hornady will be there. Didn't see the new 4.75" barreled Bisley in .327 Fed Mag, but Ruger says that Larrys has them in stock. The new PCC Takedown in 9mm is on sale for $530 too. Looks like several other new models are there too.

Larrys Ruger Sale.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts