Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
What is that, a Punt Gun?

That's not for Recoil Junkies, it's for Recoil Masochists.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
That thing is almost an artillery piece.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I can't imagine there would be much of a bird left after hitting it with one of those cannons!
They weren't designed for taking one bird, but a whole flock of them. They were actually outlawed because they were killing too many Ducks and decreasing the population below acceptable levels.

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
They weren't designed for taking one bird, but a whole flock of them. They were actually outlawed because they were killing too many Ducks and decreasing the population below acceptable levels.
For hunting down and decorative feathers. The rest of the birds were carrion.

Reactions: Dad1911 and kschilk

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
110 pound gun that held 3/4# black powder and 1.5# of number 6 shot according to Wiki

Reactions: Biomass and kschilk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Should have been named "Punt mounted flock guns". Usually could take out a whole flock with one shot...

·
Registered
20,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should have been named "Punt mounted flock guns". Usually could take out a whole flock with one shot...
...or MOAS...Mother Of All Shotguns.

Reactions: Biomass

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I must be a masochist because i love recoil. Is there something wrong with me? Lol
No. I too find recoil exhilarating.

But a Punt Gun is on a whole different magnitude. They're basically shot-cannons, designed to be mounted to a boat and fired at flocks of waterfowl. Attempting to shoot one by holding it upright and bracing it against your shoulder wouldn't be advisable.

·
Registered
535 Posts
No. I too find recoil exhilarating.

But a Punt Gun is on a whole different magnitude. They're basically shot-cannons, designed to be mounted to a boat and fired at flocks of waterfowl. Attempting to shoot one by holding it upright and bracing it against your shoulder wouldn't be advisable.
Yea i've actually seen them in person. Never fired one however.

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
Attempting to shoot one by holding it upright and bracing it against your shoulder wouldn't be advisable.
Shoulder?? What shoulder?

Reactions: Biomass and kschilk

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My understanding has always been that the "gauge" of a shotgun refers to the number of round lead balls you can make for it with 1 pound of lead.
Therefore, a 2 gauge would shoot an 8 OUNCE ball of lead?
Holy smokes! That really is a small artillery piece!

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
My understanding has always been that the "gauge" of a shotgun refers to the number of round lead balls you can make for it with 1 pound of lead.
Therefore, a 2 gauge would shoot an 8 OUNCE ball of lead?
Holy smokes! That really is a small artillery piece!
Thanks, I learned something. I was always under the impression that the gauge had some relation to the physical measurement of the ID of the bore, similar to 9mm and 45 Colt.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

Reactions: kschilk
1 - 18 of 18 Posts