Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems a little steep for a gun I payed $300 for. I was told they would give me their corporate discount rate, but it must be overnighted due to the "LAW". I'm not questioning CS but before I break down and pay 1/3 of the purchase price I thought I'd run it past ya"ll.
My issue is below asked on another thread, but now I'm thinking of figuring it out myself. My safety lever will not stay up and if it does ( rarely) it will go down if I pull the trigger. I think the spring under the handguard is distorted, but not sure that's the only issue.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/82570-pt945-safety-non-functional-help-please.html

·
Registered
783 Posts
Whenever I shipped one back, I called and it was always shipped in and out free of charge ???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a Taurus PT 945 that has been out of production. I read they pay if it is a newer year or less model.

·
Registered
27,629 Posts
Check this guide as a starting point:
Firearms Shipping Guide- GunBroker.com Help Center

I don't think that next day air is explicitly required by law, but both UPS and FedEx require it when shipped by an unlicensed individual.
I'm thinking it might be cheaper to have it go through a friendly FFL. Anybody tried that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same day in shortest time possible. Call 1·800·Go·FedEx for availability and rate.FedEx Same Day[SUP]®[/SUP]
Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 AMFedEx First Overnight[SUP]®[/SUP]113.36
Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 AMFedEx Priority Overnight[SUP]®[/SUP]79.26
Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 PMFedEx Standard Overnight[SUP]®[/SUP]71.34
Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 AMFedEx 2Day[SUP]®[/SUP] A.M.41.20
Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:30 PMFedEx 2Day[SUP]®[/SUP]35.81
Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:30 PMFedEx Express Saver[SUP]®[/SUP]27.72
End of day(4 Business Days)FedEx Ground[SUP]®[/SUP]11.96

FedEx Ground: FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns)

DAGNABIT

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I think I might find myself a competent gunsmith who will look at it for me before I shelled out that kind of money to ship it

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I returned both my 709 and PT140 at diferent times and shipped FedEx Ground. They made it to Miami, were accepted by Taurus and returned to me on Taurus' dime next day air. Both guns were way new and Taurus did not offer to pay my return on the PT140 and when I asked on the 709 they refused. It was only later I was informed (here at T-A) that it was required to ship Over Night / Next Day.

I PRESUME that had either gun been "lost" in transit to Miami FedEx would have told me to go pound sand since I shipped Ground rather than Air. Don't know if I was just lucky or if no one really gives a flip how it's shipped. I did sweat the shipments out until I was notified they had been received by Taurus. I just packed them up, didn't say what was in the box and insured for $350 w/notify upon receipt. I have an account with FedEx so all this is done on line and i just drop off package at a FedEx office and get a receipt - never any questions asked.

In any case, I feel your pain on paying a ridiculous price for 2-way return a pistol for repair. I would probably again take my chances with ground orfind a gunsmith that wouldn't screw me or the pistol would become a safe queen or paper weight.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
This is a Taurus PT 945 that has been out of production. I read they pay if it is a newer year or less model.
I've shipped a handgun to Taurus that I had owned for sixteen months. I sent it via UPS ground and the fee was around $15.00.

Also, recently, I shipped my PT92 to T&Z Armory via UPS ground to be DuraCoated, and the fee was a tad over $14.00.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yep, I shipped a pistol via USPS flat rate box ($5.00). I had a local FFL go there with me. He gave them a copy of his FFL and filled out a form. I payed the lady and we shook hands and parted ways.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Both UPS and Fedex have printed notices requiring handguns be shipped next day air. It has nothing to do with any existing regulation written in law. Both companies came under BATFE scrutiny when entire shipments of guns traveling via them started showing up "missing". Their answer was to require handguns be shipped via their most "secure" means when coming from individuals without an FFL. This also, handily, boosted the profit margin. Call it what you will, but, they are the only game in town.

An FFL can ship via USPS a lot more cheaply, and have the value of the gun covered fully. Cultivating a relationship with your LGS might just save people a bundle when forced to return their used, or older, firearms.

Those who ignore the published shipping regulations of the common carriers may well find that they have just forfeited any consideration should the item be lost, stolen, or damaged. They may also find BATFE agents inquiring politely if they were aware that they were shipping their firearm covertly. UPS and Fedex will always throw an individual under the bus if they can, rather than accept responsibility.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
My FFL charges $45 to ship a handgun.

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Source: Gunbroker.com

·
Registered
153 Posts
May I never have to, but if I did, I live about 30 minutes away from their Miami facility. Can you just go there if you needed to return your weapon for warranty work?

Hey, do they give tours?

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
The way I understand it is, very few manufacturers have the required agreement with USPS, and that's not to say some post office/worker doesn't know the requirements and wouldn't ship even though they aren't supposed to. I have been round and round with this shipping thing, and Taurus is the only one that won't pay to return the weapon- unless you catch them on a good day, or- this last time, I complained heavily and because it was the 2nd time for this particular weapon, the CS rep agreed to send me a label. The 3-4 times I've had to pay I used UPS, and it was $45-55...cheaper than FedEx by a few bucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
taurus has a national contract with fed ex - when they pay shipping it goes 2nd day air (i have shipped mine back 3 times this way) maybe they can get you their rate - asking can't hurt

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
You can get away sending it regular, but as JR said don't expect any compensation if it gets "lost". We ship a lot of stuff from work via UPS, and they let me send it on our corporate account Second Day Air.

Second Day Air is acceptable to UPS, but don't expect retail UPS locations to be able to figure that out. I think it cost less than $30 to send my TCP back. One other thing I've learned is pack that thing in as small a package as possible. Even if you send it in a cheap hard case sheathed in corrugated and you don't get it back, it could save you a bunch compared to a big stuffed box.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
So what do you people in Florida who live (literally) next door to Taurus do?
Really, Next Day Air?
What then, they put it on a plane, fly it around and land again? Then truck it to Taurus?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
It isn't up to the people who live in Florida. If they want to drive down to Taurus, they can. Call ahead and make sure that you have whatever you need. If you don't want to drive, you're at the mercy of the shipper. Period.

Freedomcosts, did you mean UPS? The USPS allows FFL holders to ship anything they can legally deal with via the mails. By that I mean a standard FFL cannot legally ship a Class 3 weapon, as they aren't licensed to do so by BATFE.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
It isn't up to the people who live in Florida. If they want to drive down to Taurus, they can. Call ahead and make sure that you have whatever you need. If you don't want to drive, you're at the mercy of the shipper. Period.

Freedomcosts, did you mean UPS? The USPS allows FFL holders to ship anything they can legally deal with via the mails. By that I mean a standard FFL cannot legally ship a Class 3 weapon, as they aren't licensed to do so by BATFE.
I was at the local USPS, and two clerks told me that- ya know, that only those with agreement can ship USPS. I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
432 Mailability

Item H.
I guess this means a FFL can ship by mail to Taurus.

Unloaded Handgun
Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

h:Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
So, maybe our local FFL would mail one for us, and get a discount? Have to check with mine- when my 738 gets back I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts