Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a digital cheapo depo amazon caliper, was in the market for a non digital caliper , what is everyone using and what does everyone recommend?

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,957 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I've got a pair of vernier calipers as a backup to my Fowler digitals. The digitals will be dead the day you really need them.
The dial ones are nice and plenty accurate

Verniers are a little hard to read because of my eyes. The metric scale is easier to read I just have to convert.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: kschilk

·
Administrator
35,309 Posts
I need to invest in a good analog caliper too. I've gone to use mine before and the battery was dead. That's happened twice, actually. You can buy a good Cabelas analog for around $40, I believe.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have a Frankfort arsenal dial caliper that I like a lot. I got that and a Lyman dial in the same lot, sold the lyman and made the Frankfort free. I have a Horror Fright digital as a 'backup' that I don't ever see me needing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
I've got all the popular Imperial calibers (.22, .25, .32, .357, .38, .380, .40, and .45). I like them all and it is hard to pick a favorite.

Wait, what?

Huh? What's that?

Oh, caliper, not caliber. Shoot, I thought we were in for another war here. Sorry, carry on!

·
Registered
14,812 Posts
Mitutoyo all the way.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You can get good equipment from Harbor Freight. Or MSC or many other places.

But what you want is dependent on WHAT you want, not so much as what brand or where they came from.

You need calipers with at least one-half inch depth of INSIDE jaws; At least 1-1/2 inch depth outside jaws,
At least four inches depth rod,
And if you have all that, the "step" will be sufficient, for you will hardly ever find a use fo r that in reloading.

Youu can buy an extremely good set at HARBOR FREIGHT for under $20.,, MSC (Mangattan Specialty Cirp) from $25-$125/ ---or go to STARRETT, MITUTOYO, or BROWN&SHRPE for the same at up to $125.

Buy stainless steel, NOT plastic.

Youu can buy digital, dial, or vernier types in those price ranges. Digital - batteries die or leak and cororde the electronics until they are not useable, but have no mechanical parts inside to gum up - just keeep them clean. accuracy to .0001
Dial - - they are susectible to chips and junk getting in the rack and pinion but if you are modestly careful to keep them clean, they will do for decades. Just be sure the markings on the beam are legibile to begin with.Accuracy to .001
Vernier, -probably the most accurate overall, a pain to read acccurately if you are not carefl or have older eyes. Accuracy CAN go to .0001 inch/

I USE a dial type, but keep a digital for convenience and a vernier to be sure. I have worked in the calibration and instrument reair insdustry for a decaade, so I maintain and check my own. If you have a KNOWN, calibrated 1" Measuring Standrd, you can pretty much take that for setting and checking other types, without question - I f you follow the proper steps. It is not hard to learn or do, but it is a requirement for absolute accurtacy

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Micrometers are more accurate than calipers, they don't have the play that calipers do. Draw back you have to buy them in 1 inch increments, I have 0"-1" and a 1"-2" micrometers. I also have Mitutoyo digital calipers just depends on what I am measuring and how accurate I need/want to be.

·
Registered
14,812 Posts
I haven't had to use a mic in 30 years and because I got rid of most of my metal fab equipment, I stuck with my set of Mitutoyo calipers (dial type) and a few pair of cheaper digitals. I'm just not doing anything that requires higher levels of precision or accuracy as when I was doing my own machining. About the only thing I still do that requires any precision would be faceting gemstones and that's all meet point type precision.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I have been using a Harbor Freight analog caliper for a few years now, don't really notice any difference from the Mitutoyo set that bit the dust. If it's acuurate to within .001"_.002" it's good enough for reloading IMHO.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Reactions: bobbojama

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'd go with a cheap Chinese made analog or digital number. Harbor Freight seems to be getting a little pricey. I bought a digital from ALDI's no less for less than $10. It's nice to be able to switch from inch to metric too. Plastic versions are out there, buy stainless instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Got tired of working with cheap calipers and decided to get both a Fowler digital and a Starret dial caliper. I looked them up on Amazon and it appears the price has more than doubled on the Starret No. 3202 since I bought it a few years ago for well under $50. I got both because together the were less than $75. I like both and use one to check the other. I think I have replaced the battery on the Fowler once, other than that they are both accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-54-10...calipers+measuring+tool&qid=1573416915&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-320...rs+measuring+tool&qid=1573417184&sr=8-1-fkmr1

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I've got a pair of vernier calipers as a backup to my Fowler digitals. The digitals will be dead the day you really need them.
The dial ones are nice and plenty accurate

Verniers are a little hard to read because of my eyes. The metric scale is easier to read I just have to convert.

All the Best,
D. White
Like I posted above.

Went an pulled the calipers out today to measure the sway bar diameter on my car.

Dead. Don't have a single 2032 battery in the house.

Love my verniers.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
1 - 20 of 29 Posts