Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has been letting me use his reloading scales, actually two scales one is a Lee safety powder scale another a RCBS 5 0 5 also a inexpensive digital model (US balance) I got for 15$ off E bay ...None of them agree as to what the weight of the charge is. I have no calibration weights... How Much does a Penny weigh? I'm thinking about using the penny for calibrating.Question how do you do the math? say the penny supposed to weigh (I think 37.5 (new)and the scale says say 39.8 and the other scales naturally disagree. Do you just subtract the difference and go from there? or is it like logrithemic?(am I thinking too much?) but I need to figure this out and can't keep on getting more scales Anyway how much does a new penny weigh please, and what do I do with that information THANKS

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
A new penny has a weight of 2.5 grams. (According to the US Mint)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would you reconcile the difference in powder weights between two scales and also with Lee powder spoons they don't weigh as indicated on the chart I am getting three different readings and they are significent with power weighing for sure. Using Unique or 231. THANKS

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wouldn't trust the Lee Powder spoons for weight.

I used the lee autodisc for a short while and the info that came with it listed cc vs. weight. All the powders I used were way less weight than called out on the sheet. I think Lee is staying way on the safe side.

I haven't even opened my Lee Scale that came with the Turret Press kit because I already had a RCBS.

Look for some BB's or Pellets that are labeled to get a calibaration weight.

I couldn't find bb weight but pellet are 7-8 grains.

PM me and address and I'll weigh acouple .177 pellets and throw in a .224 bullet in the mail and you can see if yours agrees with mine. David

·
Registered
178 Posts
James, no one has mentioned to make sure the scales are balanced at zero. There should be adjustments near the front of the scales frame to bring the scales into zero balance then weigh the powder. Most quality scales have a + or - of 1/10th of a grain. I check the zero balance each time I use my scales. Hope this helps. Frank

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I could calibrate with a new penny @2.5 grams or BB shot (if I knew the exact weight) simply by making a new penny weigh 2.5 using the level adjusting screw on the scale?

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
My little ebay balance came with a calibration weight. You really need one for exact grain weight calibration.

·
Registered
588 Posts
"Try this simple test to see how sensitive your scale really is. Cut a piece of regular writing paper 5/16 inch square. With scale set on zero drop the paper on the pan to see if it moves. It should read about .1 grain. Keep adding paper squares until it does move. The total number of squares needed to move your scale is your scale's sensitivity. We have seen digital powder scales that are only sensitive to 1/2 grain (FIVE paper squares) A Lee Safety Scale will move with the first paper."

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1207335776.5383=/html/catalog/powhan2.html

Copy from Lee Precision sight for checking the sensativity of you scale.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts