Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a dumb question excuse me im still new to firearms...but i just have to know ;D

can someone please list the power of calibers (22, 45, 357, 38, 9mm etc.) in order from weakest to strongest or reverse? juts curious because I the only calibers I have shot were 9mm, 45acp and 22. thanx ppl and have a merry christmas :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
mikefed9mm said:
this may be a dumb question excuse me im still new to firearms...but i just have to know ;D

can someone please list the power of calibers (22, 45, 357, 38, 9mm etc.) in order from weakest to strongest or reverse? juts curious because I the only calibers I have shot were 9mm, 45acp and 22. thanx ppl and have a merry christmas :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges

JimL

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well im not going to list every caliber because there is often variants or predecessor's in the same caliber.

easiest example is .22 there is .22 short, .22 long, and .22long rifle, not counting the CB and BB round which contain no powder and have the aprox power of a pellet gun. only 22lr is commonly used anymore..

if you want to really look at different calibers then check wiki out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges

heres my break down.

1. .22lr
2. .38specal
2. .380 (fairly close to the .38spl but in autoloader rimless)
3. 9mm
4. .40
5. .45acp
6. .357mag (can also shoot .38spl if it's a revolver, very few autos use .357)

if you're going ot a range use .22 if you can.. or 9mm, those are basicly the two cheapest rounds you can get.

.38spl is good for .357 revolvers cause they cost less then magnum ammo.

.38spl/.380 is about the lowest i wanna go for SD/HD, although i would'nt feel to bad about using a .32..
i'd only use a .22lr if it's either all you can shoot or all you can comfortably carry, if you need to fire your .22 in defense dump the whole mag or cylinder in them.. it'll probably take all of them to stop and attacker unless you hit them in the head.

9mm i consider the best pound for pound SD/HD round out there, it's cheap, it's easy to handle, only moderate recoil, accurate, and with a good JHP ( i tend to prefer 147gr, the heavy side of the 9mm ) it will preform about as well as a .40, and hold more ammo.

.40 i only see good if you want to carry what LE is moving to, personally i dont care much for it because it does have more snap to it making follow ups a little slower, in the end not any more accurate (infact some say it's inherently less accurate then 9mm), and only slightly better against 9mm both having good ammo.

if you want more power then a 9mm i'd go for a .45acp but a lot of it is fmj, you can get hollow points but they "can" have issued with expansion unless you get good stuff, one down side is lower capacity then 9mm or .40

if you like revolvers and wanna make a statement theres always the .357mag, can shoot .38spl for practice, granted both of those are more expensive then 9mm but what is'nt?
if you dont like revolvers go with the .45acp.. but .357 is nasty esp when shot from a 6+ inch barrel, not easy to conceal though.. you can go with a smaller snub 2 or 3inch barrel, you'll lose some stopping power and also have more recoil though, generally left on the low end with 5 rounds although some will hold 6.. the larger .357's can carry 7 or 8.

there are even bigger rounds out there but imo anything bigger then .357 for SD/HD and you're just making noise. .357 is often considered the gold standard in stopping power and the bench mark for other rounds (although like i said their are bigger ones that will exceed it)

then again for HD i'd favor a nice 16 or 12ga pump or semiauto shotgun with pistol grip, i'd stay way from double barrel or single shots for HD, add some nice 00 Bucks shot and you're in business.

·
Registered
663 Posts
joe sixpack said:
.38spl/.380 is about the lowest i wanna go for SD/HD, although i would'nt feel to bad about using a .32..
I was just doing some research on the net minutes ago. Interestingly, .32 ACP delivers considerably less energy than the .22 hyper velocity rounds like Stinger, Viper and Velocitor. These rounds do, in fact deliver the same category of energy as .38 specials - around 185 ft/lbs. It may be highly debatable whether that means a great deal, but I was surprised when I dug out the figures.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
joe sixpack said:
then again for HD i'd favor a nice 16 or 12ga pump or semiauto shotgun with pistol grip, i'd stay way from double barrel or single shots for HD, add some nice 00 Bucks shot and you're in business.
And you'll want to make up your mind well in advance how close you'll let a BG get and what you'd do if he grabbed the barrel of your smoke pole.

JimL

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
JimL said:
And you'll want to make up your mind well in advance how close you'll let a BG get and what you'd do if he grabbed the barrel of your smoke pole.

JimL
Easy answer to that one. Take a step back (while retaining control of the gun from your end) and blow off whatever part of his body you can. If someone is trying to take control of your weapon they're likely to use it on you in the very near future.

But the preference would be to not let them get that close.

Steelheart

·
Registered
663 Posts
Steelheart said:
But the preference would be to not let them get that close.

Steelheart
Exactly. Which is why I said he should make up his mind well in advance how close to let him get, etc. I get a feeling too many people aren't making specific decisions like that, while they can do it thoughtfully. Which leaves them doing it under insane pressure when it hits the fan unexpectedly.

JimL

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just for referance, a friend of mine was hit in the leg with a .22 mag HP from a Davis Derringer and had problems for about 6mos after. The bullet went through the driver side window, across the driver's seat, into her leg just above the knee and just broke the skin on the back side. His 2nd shot put a 1 1/2" x 1/2 groove in the truck hood. The pickup was a little Mazda. Not bad power for the size gun. Thinking back on this insident, I am not uncomfortable with my always carry NAA mini in .22mag. It rates more as a last ditch or deep concealment if nothing else is possible, but would be just above my tac knife.
Personally, I also dislike the .40, as I just don't shoot it well.
As for how close I'd let someone depends on the situation. I've been in several altercations in the past that had someone on me before I knew there was a fight. In the ones that I had warning, I give the last option to not get shot at about five foot, or when the car door opens in case of a car jacking. Thankfully, my lifestyle is much tamer these days.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
mikefed9mm ...
Merry Christmas to You
There is never a dumb question on here... :)
You did a great post... :D :D
All of us can learn something new all the time
Questions aren't Dumb- Just unanswered.. ;)..

Very nice reply..joe sixpack
Good info there

Carry on Boys... :thumb:

·
Registered
959 Posts
You should always practice your "Michael Jordan" ... if the BG is to close, do your "Michael Jordan" Shooting while Fading Back...<:)) That Totally Throws The BG Off His GAME...<:))

Caliber Power: Just put in your vavorite Caliber in the first box, and selecte ALL in the second box to compare...
http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=16&Weight=All

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
JimL said:
Exactly. Which is why I said he should make up his mind well in advance how close to let him get, etc. I get a feeling too many people aren't making specific decisions like that, while they can do it thoughtfully. Which leaves them doing it under insane pressure when it hits the fan unexpectedly.

JimL
what difference does it make what gun you have.. the idea of a gun is to keep people from getting close enough to lay a hand on it.. thats the whole point of the gun.

a shot gun is going to help you with your aiming.. you dont have to be accurate with it.
pistol grip for maneuverability..

i'd take a pistol grip shotgun over a handgun for HD anytime.

·
Registered
127 Posts
joe sixpack said:
a shot gun is going to help you with your aiming.. you dont have to be accurate with it.
just to add to this before some people go crazy with a shotgun. You still have to aim it and be somewhat accurate, just not as accurate as normal. It depends on the load in the shot.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
If you like short, controllable, and shotgun type!!

I find that my JUDGE, loaded with just about any shot, when in the house would slow down the BG pretty severely.

If he is still coming for me after the shotshell, I keep the next 3 or 4 cylinders loaded with 45 solids or JHP's.

Now I bet those will get his attention.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
worthirt_99 said:
just to add to this before some people go crazy with a shotgun. You still have to aim it and be somewhat accurate, just not as accurate as normal. It depends on the load in the shot.
aye i just ment with buck shot you dont have to line the sights up you can just point it in their general direction should do the trick.

inside your house you'll probably not have more then 10-20 feet between you and the bg.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
joe sixpack said:
aye i just ment with buck shot you dont have to line the sights up you can just point it in their general direction should do the trick.

inside your house you'll probably not have more then 10-20 feet between you and the bg.
You might want to pattern your shotgun at a distance equal to what you would be using it. My Mossberg (20" barrel and Imp. Cyl choke) gives me a 4" to 9" pattern (including flyers) at 10 yards, depending on load. At 10' to 20' I'd have a pattern 1.5" to 6" across which may or may not give me a margin for error in my aim. Remember that every shotgun prefers different ammo. I had the best pattern with full power Federal OO (4" to 5" 10yd pattern with no flyers) but the S&B 12 pellet OO would be what I'd pick for a very close and dirty fight as it was 7" to 9" patterns, also no flyers. But all those pellets that miss the target will land somewhere, even if its just making holes through a few walls in your house.

Steelheart

·
Registered
663 Posts
joe sixpack said:
Which is a point. Handling a long gun in close quarters DOES give the BG more of a chance to grab it and push it aside or up. Plus some have written that the home guy doesn't judge the distance from BG to muzzle as well with the long gun as with the hand gun - sort of confusing personal distance with muzzle distance.

Of course if you just grab the gun and shoot to kill that's a different matter. But there are lots of posts around talking about whose side the law is really on when a body is hauled away, and how hot-shot lawyers turn a crook into a victim.

JimL

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
thats why i suggested one with a pistol grip.. it's more compact.. it's easy to find these sold specifically geared for HD with a pistol grip and 18inch barrel.

true it's still much bigger then a hand gun but imo the extra firepower, relaxed aiming requirements make it the best choice imo for HD.

i doubt many people are gonna survive a 12ga or even a 16ga shotgun blast at 20 feet with 00 buck shot.
can you say the same about your hand gun?

use what you like, but if i have a hand gun & shotgun and something goes bump in the night.. ima grab my shottie every time.

·
Registered
663 Posts
joe sixpack said:
thats why i suggested one with a pistol grip.. it's more compact.. it's easy to find these sold specifically geared for HD with a pistol grip and 18inch barrel.
I wonder... What would they actually do if you shot a BG using, say, a 10 inch shotgun...

JimL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts