Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading and it seems that for some reason some indivisuals insist that if you carry a gun for self defense, do not use a caliber/round over 44 special. The logic as stated is that anything over a 44 special load will "always" blow through your attacker and kill some poor bystander which would put you in prison.

Now dont get me wrong, protection bystanders is a nice thing to do, but is there a reason that i should select lighter loads to reduce penetrtion when a person can just go get a good hollow point?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
A clean or legal shoot in most states will be a legal shoot no matter what you are using.

The over-penetration issue is more dependent on where the person is hit and how much expansion/pentration is expected out of that particular load. This is why the premium loads are normally recommended.

Steelheart

·
Registered
625 Posts
Optimally, a bullet should expend ALL of its energy inside of an attacker, and not just blow through. I personally am a fan of the bigger and slower idea, and that's why I like the .45 ACP for defence. However, if you choose the right bullet, they are all effective.

Here in Texas, you cannot be charged if you were defending yourself. However, if you hit a bystander in the process, you may find yourself in deep water. I personally do not like the .357 or the .44 Magnum for carry purposes, because they do have a tendancy to overpenetrate. If you are in a house and not an apartment, they are great for home defence (although the .357 is rather loud and has a pretty bad flash at night).

Either way, understand your state's laws and study up on the penetration and different bullet designs. It'll be worth the time it takes to learn the differences.

Todd

·
32,808 Posts
That folks, is the reason for using a JHP or LSWCHP for any defense shooting and not round nosed or FMJ bullets. Even the .38 Special FMJ and round nosed lead slugs have been documented as passing through the entire body of suspect, pentrating doors or windows, and then having enough energy to kill or seriously hurt others. These were standard pressure loads. Mostly 158 grains worth. Caliber size as long as it was .45ACP and below, have never mattered as far as over penetration went. Certain big bore magnum JHPs would be the exception to this. A lot of them. One has to be aware that large and medium bore heavy weight bullets do have the potential to sail through the human body regardless of where the hit takes place. .357 magnum 140 grain bullets, as well as Winchester 145 grain Silvertip JHPs would be the exception here for that . One caveat. Any bullet can over penetrate. JHPs and the lighter weights have the potential to lessen this problem. Shot placement is still the key for it all.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
An old man years ago showed me the trick to stop bad guys at self-defense range with a .357 mag. A lead hollow-base wad cutter... loaded reverse (so the hollow base is one nasty hollow point)... loaded over a light charge. These are not for target practice since the hollow base will tumble because of the air foil effect, but at 20 feet they are pretty awesome and you don't have to worry about over penetration... they kind of explode and fragment.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That sounds like it would be a very effective self defense round. The over penetration issue always bothers me if I happen to be carrying FMJ. Typically, I'll Have JHP for carry, but on occaision, I'll have practice ammo in a gun that I grab when I'm in a hurry to get out the door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wouldn't the fragmenting bullets go a long way to stop overpenatration?

·
32,808 Posts
Quik-Shok and others like it would. Practice rounds that fragment on backstops still has the jury out on that one. Might not fragment the way they are supposed to or get enough penetration. Very few people have been shot with those. Glaser Safety Slugs Mag-safe, or other prefragmented rounds would be good choices for close-in encounters such as in a dwelling. At longer ranges than 20 feet or beyond accuracy can be spotty due to the matrix put inside the bullet and the way the shot are implaced can cause wobble or or bullet dispersion. As expensive as the shot fragmenting rounds are, one has to try them for feed and funtion in the pistol. Accuracy testing at given ranges to see where these light weight bullets are hitting is a must. Glaser Silver Safety slugs will give more penetration than the standard Blue colored nose capped ones. Larger shot than the Blue ones.All of these shot filled bullets will stay together when pressing on through heavy clothing and then will disperse the shot load within.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rule #1: Use what you have faith in. Do your research and use what appears to you to be the best bullet. Do not settle for less.

Rule #2: Re-read Rule #1.

Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts