Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just so happened to be in the area and decided to stop by the local pawn shop to see what they had(the odd stuff pops up this time of year), and noticed that they had two police positives in 38 special under the counter. When I managed to look them over I found that they had the C.A.I stamp on the underside of the barrel and had identical black plastic grips with what looked like a thumb rest on the left side(not sure what that little bump was on the grips). Finish was worn mostly away, and the mechanically the two didn't seem to be 100%. Despite knowing that there was something wrong with them, the little voice in the back of my head said "I can fix it".

So here's my question to the community. Have you ever bought an obviously beat up gun just for the fun of tinkering with it? Also, has anyone came across any of the police positives from century arms before? The two I handled seemed worse off than any of the m82s Ive seen from the same importer. If I had the money I would've been tempted to buy one, but luckily I didn't:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
I just so happened to be by the local pawn shop to see what they had ...the little voice in the back of my head said "I can fix it".

So here's my question to the community. Have you ever bought an obviously beat up gun just for the fun of tinkering with it? ...
Yes.

Earlier this year I bought a S&W .38 spl. Model 36 Chief's Special for $100.

It had been found in the trunk of a "Grand Paw's" car after he'd died.

The exterior was extensively covered with surface rust and pitting.

However, the cylinder's chambers and the barrel's bore were pristine.

Upon dry firing it was obvious it's "innards" were OK too.

So, even though it looks like **** on the outside, it shoots like a house on fire!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
There have been Colts imported back here from Hong Kong, and several South American countries. They are not everywhere but not rare either.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a fondness for the "Ugly Duckling". You know they always grow up to be beautiful "Swans".

I have been around guns for the better part of 29 years. I worked with a gunsmith for about 6 or 7 months learning what I could from him and have continued my education on my own.

By no means would I call myself a "gunsmith" but I have been known to do some "work" on my own guns with pretty good success.

My newest venture will be; as I like to call it, "Fun with DuraCoat".

I'll keep you informed on how those little projects turn out.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
DuraCoat is good. I've had an old Herters XK3 Mauser done and a Colt revolver that was rust pitted so deep that it could never be polished out. Sold the Herters, keep the Colt. It seems to wear quite well.

Reactions: morrcarr67

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply's! Glad to know that I'm not the only one to buy a junker. Just something about taking something that's beat all up, and making them shiny again that's satisfying I guess.

@morrcarr67
Sounds interesting. I've been thinking of taking my armscor revolver and making it gloss black(I know, I know. lipstick on a pig and such).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Thanks for your reply's! Glad to know that I'm not the only one to buy a junker. Just something about taking something that's beat all up, and making them shiny again that's satisfying I guess.

@morrcarr67
Sounds interesting. I've been thinking of taking my armscor revolver and making it gloss black(I know, I know. lipstick on a pig and such).
Yeah, but it's your pig. :cool:

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
If you have the money and the know-how, I'd say do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts