Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Taurus make (or have they ever made) a carbine or other rifle in a rimless, pistol caliber... Like 40 ?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Does Taurus make (or have they ever made) a carbine or other rifle in a rimless, pistol caliber... Like 40 ?
They make a semiauto carbine in 9mm....

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruger used to make a 40 and a 9 carbine. Wanted one but by the time I was able to locate, problems began to surface with them. I think Berretta makes one..... Too rich for my blood (plus it looks like a space ship).

·
Registered
24,598 Posts
Just can't bring myself to buy a Hipoint......
You can't find a more reliable gun that the HiPoint carbine that comes with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
all i can say to that is you are missing out on an accurate,reliable fun shooting carbine.
Agreed. I sold my HP to fund another project and need to buy another.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Better hurry for the CT-40G2 or the CT-9G2 as they are no longer carried in the Taurus catalog.

KelTec makes the Sub-2000 in both 9mm and .40S&W, although the .40S&W is hard to find.

I would not worry about the Highpoint, all of these auto pistol carbines, at the moment, are simple blow backs. The blow back has been around since about WWI and is reliable, although the design causes it to be on the heavy side. You would have to go way up in price scale to get something like the HK MP5 for a modern delayed design.

I have a feeling that with the popularity of these auto pistol round carbines for home defense, as well as the high prices they are commanding at the moment, we will see more modern designs on the market pretty soon. A M3A1 made from plastic instead of sheet metal would be very cheap to make, as would a Sten gun, Swedish K, or any number of WWII submachine gun designs redesigned around modern materials and production methods.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Taurus does not make one in .45 Auto for sale in the USA.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Must be Taurus couldn't compete with a comparable, Made in the USA, carbine at a much lower price.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Must be Taurus couldn't compete with a comparable, Made in the USA, carbine at a much lower price.
More likely it was the magazine restriction because it is not made in the USA, only available with 10 round mags, unless you know someone in Brazil.

·
Registered
31,897 Posts
Ruger used to make a 40 and a 9 carbine. Wanted one but by the time I was able to locate, problems began to surface with them. I think Berretta makes one..... Too rich for my blood (plus it looks like a space ship).
Maybe Ruger did, but for sure, Marlin made the Camp 9 mm and the Camp .45, both are highly collectible.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Don't forget these:

Sterling
Reviews
Gun Review: Century Arms International (Wise Lite Arms) Sterling Sporter - The Truth About Guns
Gun Review: Wise Lite Arms Sterling 9mm - Guns.com
Manual
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.centuryarms.com/manuals/Sterling%20Rifle.pdf

Uzi
UZI Rifle For Sale
Review
Gun Review: Century Arms UC-9 Carbine Review - The Truth About Guns

Then there is this 9mm AR kit from PSA that has everything except the lower receiver for under $500
PSA 16" 9mm 1:10 Melonite Rifle Kit - No magazine - BF Uppers - Black Friday

But the Highpoints are not bad for the money and these are ALL blow back designs that fire from the closed bolt. I don't think they are significantly better or worse than any of the other designs. IMO, making one of these blow backs out of high quality materials is like putting lipstick on a pig. This whole SMG genre was created to provide a CHEAP to produce and short in length battlefield weapon that shot pistol ammo. I carried both the M3 and the M3A1 for a couple of years and I have a tremendous fondness for both.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I looked at the Hi Point today. Not crazy about it and doesn't fit me at all. The Baretta is sweet and fits me great.... BUT THE PRICE !!! Think I'll continue my search for a Ruger or Taurus 40 cal carbine......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts