Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to get get to my range a couple of days ago, when the temperature briefly hit 50...but the lane was drifted shut and impassable even in 4 wheel drive. Getting a little stir crazy not having gotten out to the range since January - ONLY range trip of the year ( Bless Algorenorhythm and his global warming)
The guns are all clean....so what to do? I finally got around to building a stand for my Gong (shootsteel)! Here it is - I Photoshopped it onto a range picture rather than my having my dirty garage as a backdrop..I have never Photoshopped before either...THAT'S how bad my cabin fever is getting!

Reactions: Sekol and darbo

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Very good, however I would recommend you put a cross brace about 6 inches from the bottom of the two uprights, when you start hitting the plate it will force the uprights inward. Just a thought, that's all.

I like the photshop job on the range, looks like it is really there.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You need diagonal braces on the bottom sides otherwise the upright will eventually get knocked loose. Also a cross brace at the top to keep them apart.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice. You'll have a blast with that.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's the first stand I built for steel... Had a bolt running fore to aft at the bottom - I found that to be a little over-engineering!

Best idea I had was this:

Built a "cap" as I figured this area would sustain the most damage. The dowel attachments were also over-engineering - the caps fit snug...rarely one will shift a little - discarded the pegs and bolts after first range trip. They do absorb most of the flak...and my stand looks new underneath. When the cap gets too beat up I will replace it.

Will use my gong stand (mostly handgun shooting) and see what adjustments need to be made. Both these stands break apart quickly for easy transport so that will be a part of any mods.....fun to do these projects...

Reactions: Stugots

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I like that range! The new stand is nice as well!

Creek

·
Super Moderator
13,829 Posts
Nice photoshop job, it looks real. It also appears that the afore mentioned suggestions to over-engineer your target stands will help you to withstand your cabin fever a little longer. Hang in there, spring is on its way!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Nice job..:thumb:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made a mod - now please mother nature and fate, CAN I GET SOME RANGE TIME??

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
863 Posts
Built myself a prototype today as well. I built it so it disassembles and will bolt into one stack. Need to get out and see how it holds up before I build others. Purchased the static brackets online and had my machine shop at work make me 10 more. I would like to have at least three doubles like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426984396.442141.jpg

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got out to the range. The Gong was fun fun fun!!

...at 21 yards. The top brace worked out great and was needed. As far as handgun rounds, I think it is good to go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts