Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Cabela's has done a 180 on deciding not to offer a veteran discount. When Bass Pro acquired them some time ago they did away with the 5% veteran discount on guns and ammo. Vets were mad, employees were mad (as sales dropped off) and it was generally not a happy situation. Vets (including me) wrote off Cabela's from any consideration of buying something there. Well, I got my most recent flyer from them and they have announced they have re-instated the veteran discount on guns and ammo. Hallelujah. Now I know that some folks here don't by anything from BPS/Cabela's just on principle but I have been known to by ammo there when prices are right.

https://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=MilitaryDiscountProgram

They currently have Marlin 336W's on sale for $419 an with the discount brings it down to $398 - that's about as low as a price as I've seen. I love my Henry H001 but I really have been hankerin' for a side loader.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Looks like Cabela's has done a 180 on deciding not to offer a veteran discount. When Bass Pro acquired them some time ago they did away with the 5% veteran discount on guns and ammo. Vets were mad, employees were mad (as sales dropped off) and it was generally not a happy situation. Vets (including me) wrote off Cabela's from any consideration of buying something there. Well, I got my most recent flyer from them and they have announced they have re-instated the veteran discount on guns and ammo. Hallelujah. Now I know that some folks here don't by anything from BPS/Cabela's just on principle but I have been known to by ammo there when prices are right.

They currently have Marlin 336W's on sale for $419 an with the discount brings it down to $398 - that's about as low as a price as I've seen. I love my Henry H001 but I really have been hankerin' for a side loader.
Looks like a smart decision by Cabela's.

That seems like quite a good price on that Marlin rifle! I would find that difficult to resist if I saw that price on the 1894C.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts

I don't look for veteran's discounts when shopping (because they don't apply to me). I am surprised Bass Pro did away with them. Aren't they still headquartered in Springfield where we still have "normal" common sense people? There's nothing wrong with not having the discount, but why pull it back? It seems like a snub.

It isn't like their prices are so low they can't give another 5%. Heck, in most places (probably all places) 5% doesn't even cover the tax, so it is a lot of goodwill for next to nothing.

This is another example of decisions being made by the spreadsheet rather than by someone with knowledge and experience. Apparently once the spreadsheet minders realized there was a negative impact (on the spreadsheet) they "learnt" something they didn't get in MBA school.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Haven't been in one of their stores in over a year and haven't visited their website in months.
Bass Pro Shops was never a Gun/Hunting Outfitter and never will be. now it looks as though Cabela's is just an extension and rebranding of BPS. If I need shooting glasses, hearing protection, cases or targets I can get those anywhere and usually cheaper than BPS!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bass Pro and Cabela's are sort of like the Navy Exchange has gotten....charge ridiculous prices because they hand out credit cards like handing out candy to kids on Halloween!

Reactions: OKNewshawk

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Never been a big fan of Cabela's. anyway. They need to bring their prices down.
I agree that Cabela's is generally overpriced (how else can they pay for all that ambiance).
But I like to browse around there, and every so often they have a good sale price on things.
So I'll keep going in and looking around; which is exactly what that ambiance is designed to do.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I agree that Cabela's is generally overpriced (how else can they pay for all that ambiance).
But I like to browse around there, and every so often they have a good sale price on things.
So I'll keep going in and looking around; which is exactly what that ambiance is designed to do.
But hey, if you spend too much time in that ambiance and pick up too much stuff, when your wife finds out you may be spending more time in an ambulance!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Cabelas is one of those "Really nice to visit and browse around" kind of stores but I rarely buy anything there due to their high prices. I do like their huge aquariums at the back of the store but I am sure they need the high prices to cover the operating costs of those and some of their other nice displays.

I have purchased ammo at my local Cabelas from time to time but more often than not you will find me at Academy which is just down the street from Cabelas. I used to buy most of my ammo from Wally but the ones near me have put their ammo case back behind the counter now and you cannot easily see what they have for sale. I have found it much easier now to just go to Academy, Cabelas or Palmetto where I can actually browse their ammo selections.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love my Henry H001 but I really have been hankerin' for a side loader.
I read recently that Henry has seen the light and is starting to manufacture side-loaders. I don't know if any are available yet though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts