Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yeah, maybe I'm paranoid or whatever but I NEVER use my debit card as a debit card. I ALWAYS select credit. The reason is, I don't put my bank PIN in strange machines. My man thing yes, not my PIN. So I go to check out the other day at Cabelas, just some primers, I've bought a ton of stuff there in the past. Love the store. I insert my card, it comes up with the "Enter Pin" prompt, I say, "Which button for credit?"

Girls says, "Is that a wells fargo or blah blah card?"
I say, "Wells Fargo."
She says, "You have to enter your PIN."
I Say, "I don't do my PIN in stores."
She says,"That's the only way it works."
I say, "OK," and walk out without my primers. Everyone in line is like, "wha...

So today, I'm on my way to Cabelas thinking I may just break my rule and get a P111 I saw for $229. I get to the counter and wait and finally a guy comes over and I ask to see the gun. He is ok at first then I say, hmmm, i thought this was double Action, meaning second strike. That put him in holier than thow mode. So from then on he was dissing the gun and I say, "it gets pretty good reviews for a $200 gun".

He says I should buy a glock.
I say, "I could by three of these for a glock."
He says, "I would still have a glock."

I wanted to say, "You know what glock rymes with?" Dick."

Anyway, so I love Cabelas and I will continue to use them as my showroom until they change their policy and let me use my VISA Debit as credit like everyone else in the world. I may be ordering my P111 from Buds here shortly.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Guessing the store pays less in fees for debit/pin code transaction so someone in accounting requested IT to make the change. Credit/Debit card skimming is and has been big in South Florida. I refuse to use my Debit Card and have not used it in I'm guessing close to two years now. I only use a rewards credit card and yes I always pay it off so I get no interest charges. In the last 2 years my credit card has been compromised 3 times. Once while in Dallas, TX and the other times here in the FL Keys. If that had been my debit card my bank account would have been emptied every time. Much easier to dispute a credit card transaction and keep my money than disputing debit cards transactions taking up to 10 days to get my money returned.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,876 Posts
Get yourself a Cabelas cc, save the points and get that G2 for free. :)

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I've never had an issue. I dont enter my pin either I just hit "Cancel" or "Enter" when it asks if there is not a credit key. I forget which one Cabellas is. I am guessing the cashier just didn't know what they were talking about. Or I guess there could be something funky with Wells Fargo... I never used them so I dont now. I saw too many stagecoach robberies to feel safe using them... (Well I did grow up on westerns :D :D :D :p)

As to the Glock thing, I am an anti glock guy so I have fun with those guys. I usually say they are great mechanically. So if I wanted a solidly functioning gun which i hated the looks of, hated how it pointed, hated how it shot, hated how it felt in my hand, hated the trigger on then I would jump at the chance to buy one. :D :D :D

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Get yourself a Cabelas cc, save the points and get that G2 for free. :)
That's what I did at my Cabelas. The PT111 was stickered a $229.00. Got $20 off for applying for the card, and an additional 5% as a veteran discount. With tax it came to about $216 out the door. When the bill came in I just paid it off. Not free but a pretty nice discount.

I keep the card for the discounts but pay it off when the bill comes due - no finance charges.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Easy solution to your complaint, whenever a store/company treats me like they are doing me a favor by taking my money I will walk out the door never to return. It's just too easy today to buy online at MUCH better prices than to deal with poor service or dumb policies. I haven't been in Sears in 10 years for those very reasons. Unfortunately I'm approaching the same conclusion regarding Taurus.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Bought a lower from them a few weeks ago, ran my local bank chip card with them as credit; no issues.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
And if you ever forget your Cabelas card, customer service will even be kind enough to issue you a temporary card. They are so thoughtful.....:)

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
My gripe is the dumb take a number thing and the under staffed gun counter...you have 6 + people
holding a number and 2 guys working the counter and it never fails the guy being helped wants to handle every
gun in stock ....And you guessed it...After 1/2 hr he buys nothing and walks away....That is why the floor is littered
with numbers people threw away and walked off....I don't even go there anymore to look at guns and if i know i am gonna buy
i get there just as they open the doors.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
So, yeah, maybe I'm paranoid or whatever but I NEVER use my debit card as a debit card. I ALWAYS select credit. The reason is, I don't put my bank PIN in strange machines. My man thing yes, not my PIN. So I go to check out the other day at Cabelas, just some primers, I've bought a ton of stuff there in the past. Love the store. I insert my card, it comes up with the "Enter Pin" prompt, I say, "Which button for credit?"

Girls says, "Is that a wells fargo or blah blah card?"
I say, "Wells Fargo."
She says, "You have to enter your PIN."
I Say, "I don't do my PIN in stores."
She says,"That's the only way it works."
I say, "OK," and walk out without my primers. Everyone in line is like, "wha...

So today, I'm on my way to Cabelas thinking I may just break my rule and get a P111 I saw for $229. I get to the counter and wait and finally a guy comes over and I ask to see the gun. He is ok at first then I say, hmmm, i thought this was double Action, meaning second strike. That put him in holier than thow mode. So from then on he was dissing the gun and I say, "it gets pretty good reviews for a $200 gun".

He says I should buy a glock.
I say, "I could by three of these for a glock."
He says, "I would still have a glock."

I wanted to say, "You know what glock rymes with?" Dick."

Anyway, so I love Cabelas and I will continue to use them as my showroom until they change their policy and let me use my VISA Debit as credit like everyone else in the world. I may be ordering my P111 from Buds here shortly.
As the new chips are implemented, Visa and the banks are going to require PIN on more transactions.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
This is a chip card? If so, I don't quite understand your objection to using the pin. The pin is useless without the chip. The most secure transaction is a chip and a pin. Running debit cards as credit is much less secure. Anybody that has your card can do that. THAT's what they should not allow, and I think that's where they are going with this.

If you want secure, use a credit card. That way the bank's money is at risk.

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
The US is one of the last countries to adopt the chipped cards. in Europe, they reduced fraud from CC and Debit cards by 80% the first year they were implemented.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
The US is one of the last countries to adopt the chipped cards. in Europe, they reduced fraud from CC and Debit cards by 80% the first year they were implemented.
Not sure we're having the same result. I've been hit 3 times this year. It's a pain, and now, I use cash. Getting used to cash again, I love cash. Hotels and online are my only exceptions

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
These cards have a chip and tape. You don't need the chip at all for debit. Just the strip and pin. Credit is also covered for theft and loss. Debit transactions are not. In Any case. Congrats to Buds on another great sale. Sorry Cabelas, you cost yourself so far this week, $300 Plus in sales. Maybe that is worth it to them.

Reasons to sign instead of pin

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/m...and-not-use-your-pin-for-debit-card-purchases

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I'd be in deep doo - I have no PIN for any of my chipped CC's - have never used an ATM and no plans to use so no need for a PIN. And NO debit card(s) - too risky IMO. Plus can't think of anything Cabela's has that can't be had cheaper elsewhere and closer to home (55-60 miles) or on line. Local Gander is gone and Bass Pro just as bad as Cabela's.

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
These cards have a chip and tape. You don't need the chip at all for debit. Just the strip and pin. Credit is also covered for theft and loss. Debit transactions are not. In Any case. Congrats to Buds on another great sale. Sorry Cabelas, you cost yourself so far this week, $300 Plus in sales. Maybe that is worth it to them.

Reasons to sign instead of pin

Why it?s best to sign ? and not use your PIN ? for debit card purchases
I think your source is obsolete, it was written before chips were common. I rarely use my debit card but they just sent me one with a chip and the couple of times I've used it I was forced to insert, it would not take a swipe, and it forced me to use the PIN. A skimmer does them no good on a chip-enabled card. Hacking the store system doesn't work either.

The thing is, as soon as retailers get re-equipped the mag stripe will disappear. They'll force all the debit cards to run as a debit. It saves the retailer a percent or two on every sale run that way. Plus as I said chip and pin is the most secure. You'll run out of places that'll let you run as credit eventually.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think your source is obsolete, it was written before chips were common. I rarely use my debit card but they just sent me one with a chip and the couple of times I've used it I was forced to insert, it would not take a swipe, and it forced me to use the PIN. A skimmer does them no good on a chip-enabled card. Hacking the store system doesn't work either.

The thing is, as soon as retailers get re-equipped the mag stripe will disappear. They'll force all the debit cards to run as a debit. It saves the retailer a percent or two on every sale run that way. Plus as I said chip and pin is the most secure. You'll run out of places that'll let you run as credit eventually.
I chip at just about every store and sign. No pin required. Walmart, Hariss teeter, zipymarts, everywhere. It's just the retailer being cheap. When I don't PIN, it's a credit card and treated as such by VISA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts