Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand the situation, when a person buys a gun online it must be shipped to and delivered by a licensed firearms dealer. That dealer charges a fee for that service. My question is: does that dealer not have to do a background check on the buyer of the firearm?

·
Registered
29,829 Posts
As I understand the situation, when a person buys a gun online it must be shipped to and delivered by a licensed firearms dealer. That dealer charges a fee for that service. My question is: does that dealer not have to do a background check on the buyer of the firearm?
If you listened to much of the media and the politicians that would seem to be the case, but its not. The dealer does do a back ground check before they can give you the firearm.

(I am all for getting rid of all background checks!)

Reactions: bubblehead

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Yep, once it's in the ffl's hands, it's just like buying a gun at your LGS

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Where its going to hit is in face to face sales where the people find guns off places like armslist or even Taurusarmed sites that would be the internet sales that are not done through a ffl Randy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, what you're telling me is that the anti-gun people and the media are just blowing more smoke. If a person buys a gun online, they do have to have a background ckeck.

·
Registered
29,829 Posts
So, what you're telling me is that the anti-gun people and the media are just blowing more smoke. If a person buys a gun online, they do have to have a background ckeck.
Blowing smoke or shoveling :bs: yup! :D

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
They just want to extend background checks to sales between private individuals. They just say that certain amounts of sales at gun shows and online are done without checks to drum up support. The only thing that comes close is online classifieds in which a person responds to an add online and then completes the sale in person. Even then there are limitations. Not sure of the exact specifics but I seem to remember something about the buyer having to live in the same state or an immediate adjoining state to complete the purchase without a check. Don't quote me on that though.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Yep, ordering a gun online doesn't mean one can buy that gun. Not until the FFL who receives and performs the transfer of the gun does the background check on the buyer and he's OK to buy guns.

That's why the FFL charges you a transfer fee like $20 or so for his works (that's what my FFL charges).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Private gun sales (between private owners) don't currently require a background check. The "gun show" loophole allows these people to sell to anyone without a background check. That said, if you're buying from any sort of licensed dealer (even at a gun show, or online) the gun has to go through FFL. You buy the gun online, but then your FFL dealer takes the gun into their own inventory and is responsible for the background check.

I just bought a little .22 target pistol online. I paid online, then went over to my LGS (and FFL dealer) and filled out all the paperwork there.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
It is true that 100% of felons who buy guns buy them without background checks from non FFL firearm traffickers.

No law can ever change that.

Internet sales through an FFL require a 4473 and a background check.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I have bought antique guns off the internet without a back ground check.
It depends on how old the gun is. Any guns made from 1898 and before are exempt from federal regulation, unless
they fall under Class 3 (Full Auto, Short Barrel, yadda yadda). I believe muzzleloaders are exempt, regardless
of when made.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Depends if it's a curio or relic or not (C&R).and black powder firearms do not need a 4473 or background check as long a it does not use a cartridge (like a muzzleloading pistol,rifle or a howitzer for that matter)and muzzleloading blackpowder firearms can still be shipped in the mail.Until THEY change the laws.but,a modern inline blackpowder rifle does require a 4473 and background check because they would normally use a pellet(s) of compressed powder (the cartridge).

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Online gun sales say from bud's you pay for the gun then they send it to the FFL of your choice and then when it gets there you go pick it up but they do a background check and you pay a fee from 20-50 bucks depending on your FFL dealer before you can take that gun home.

·
Registered
302 Posts
HLuckily down here in Miami, there's a FFL (RIGHTFUL LIBERTY in Pinecrest) that charges $15 per item. Nice folks to boot!! There are also dealers that charge $50, so you just have to shop around for a deal. They all do the same thing, so it's not like you're getting "better service" if you're paying more.

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
The gun show/online scare tactic is just like calling semi-auto rifles "Assault Weapons" it gets the unknowing general public on the anti gun side of the coin.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
And here's another one to blow the Libtard's minds. If the buyer fails the NCIC, the firearm is returned to the seller's FFL on the buyer's dime. In 3 years of volunteering at the local shop, I've only seen 2 go back.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts