Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
23,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You start with a general idea. Let's say Taurus 85s with the shielded hammer. Or a CIA revolver. Whichever.

So you start searching, and maybe you just go with revolvers - .38 Special - 2". Hey, what's that? Research research research - prolly crapola. Oooooh, look at the bluing on that one. [study photos in near Zapruder film detail] Wow. No way am I spending that much. Sure is great looking though. Bet it's got a great trigger too. What was I... oh yeah. You know, 2.5" gives you a bit more velocity. Back button back button back button ah heck with it, brand new search. Gad, these are expensive too. Almost all polymer too. Charter? Hmm, not much cheaper, and oh - 44 special. Always wanted to try out a .44 Special. You know, the Taurus .44s specials have much better finishes than the Charters. A .22 would be a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot. Not really a big fan of stainless. Wow. Blued .22 revolvers aint cheep. Hi Standard? Those are cool. But would I still end up wanting a 94? Hmm, I could get this 94 and this 85 for less than that Colt. Oh, wow, engraving! But who needs two NAA revolvers?

Wait, why do I have 27 tabs open? I'm not very good at this.

I need more practice.

·
23,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...but not with the factory hammer shroud, like that one. Those are so cool. And the price isn't too bad yet...

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
IMO, shrouded hammers are only worthwhile if you have the trigger worked on. I do not like them at all.

On the other hand I absolutely love my Taurus M445 (.44Special) Mine stays loaded with Blazer Aluminium with 200 grain Gold Dots.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
I had a point where I forgot my GB login credentials and I had an active bid on a firearm. Well, I created a new Login and ended up in a mini bidding war with myself. Only about 15 bucks as I forgot what my top price was. Luckily I lost the auction. If you EVER get to that point, it's time to start writing things down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My real objection to buying online is having to deal with FFL's. I have yet to meet a local FFL that I would trust to handle a serious firearm for me. That leaves me having to use big gun stores which charge an arm and a leg. The one I deal with says they need up to four days, after receipt of the firearm, to process for pickup. My experience is that firearms left laying around grow legs and go walkabout.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My real objection to buying online is having to deal with FFL's. I have yet to meet a local FFL that I would trust to handle a serious firearm for me. That leaves me having to use big gun stores which charge an arm and a leg. The one I deal with says they need up to four days, after receipt of the firearm, to process for pickup. My experience is that firearms left laying around grow legs and go walkabout.
I'm not understanding this four days after receipt of the firearm to process for pick up in Atlanta. I've had guns scheduled for delivery on a certain day and waited a short period of time in the store (pawn shop) for FedEx to show up with it and then fill out the paperwork, pay my $25 fee and dance right out the door with my new toy.

I live 30 minutes south of Atlanta in Newnan. Would a 30 minute drive be worth the savings on a purchase and alleviate 4 days of waiting? If the situation was reversed
with a 4 day processing time here and no wait in Atlanta, you better believe I'd be hauling butt up there as fast as I could. Think about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree! I use a small local FFL, and the folks I've bought from online have always provided a tracking # so I know when the package is arriving at the FFL, as I get the tracking info updated on my phone! Several times I've been in the store when the weapon was delivered, and it's a quick turnaround and I'm on my way. Over here in Alabama, if you have a CCL, you simply sign the ATF form, as there's no need to call it in, so not even a delay there!!

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
23,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Four days to check a serial number, enter it in their log, and do the ATF form? Um, no. No flipping way. I've used a half dozen FFLs around my town, and none of them even required half a day. If you're there when they get it in, you'll be out as soon as the background check goes through.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Buying guns on line is really difficult.
Here go blaming guns again!
It's not the gun people.
Why must people make guns so evil.
LMBO
I do this with anything i buy on line. But i tell you, i have more fun doing it when its a gun.
At least you have 27 Windows open. My dad gets lost because he doesn't open a new window and tries to click back and forth in one window.
I'm lucky when it comes to FFLs. I have a friend that owns a gun and pawn here and a good friend that owns a gun coating/ smithing shop in L.A.( that's lower Alabama). The gulf coast here is multi state. The MS and AL coast lines are just over 60 miles wide each. I'm on the MS coast but mobile al is only 28 mile from me. I can get to mobile Al just about as quick as Gulfport MS.
Pensacola fl is one and a half hour east and New Orleans LA the same to the west.
When i was younger and finishing sport fishing, i had to have four state fishing license for the same weekend.
Going to gun shows are just as bad. The good ones are in mobile or Pensacola. My guys work the gun shows so i don't have to pay shipping home.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It isn’t hard if you know what you want in the first place.

in my case analysis paralysis can be problem. However it has shifted toward better weapon from a Kimber Micro 9 or Evo to a Sig P365.

The P365 is on my hip now.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
What is so difficult? I go to the website that has what I’m looking for, purchase it and go pick it up at that location. I have a LTC so there is no background check required. I answer the state required question form, they transfer ownership of the weapon to me and I’m in and out within 30 minutes. Going to the grocery store to buy next weeks meals is sometimes more difficult than buying my next handgun!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts