Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was buying some ammo at Wallyworld today, and when checking out, they asked me if the ammo was for rifle or gun.
I have never been asked this before, and they said it was required.
Then when I got home and looked at the sales receipt, I noticed that they charged me a "Fee" of 0.10 cents for each box of ammo that I bought. I should also mention that the "Fees" were for each box of different calibers.

Has anyone else noticed this, or had the same experience there?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
wow..I have never seen that! And I buy a lot of my ammo in bulk packs from the Wally World in Burleson Tx., mostly because my wife gets a 10% discount because our stepson is a manager there.

Had to go look, just bought some last Saturday..no extra fee on the reciept.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
No sir never had that charge. I would call and find out whats what with that.

·
Administrator
39,383 Posts
I've been asked for my ID, my youthful handsomeness, and rifle or handgun, but never charged a fee! :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had purchased allot from Wallies, The pistol or rifle was for age restriction, but the fee, thats a little strange. Must be for some earmark victims fund.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've been asked the rifle or pistol question, but never charged a fee.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
I've been asked the rifle/handgun question and always reply machine gun. No fee, but it's been a few weeks since I partook of their ammo selection!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I have never had this happen to me but I have heard of it before. I was told it has something to do with 18 yearolds being able to buy rifle but not hand gun ammo. Since some handgun ammo can also be use in rifles they ask. Of course I would not put it past the people of walmart to not know the one from the other. I remember once the lady getting my ammo had the most disgusted look on her face just to have to touch a few boxes of 9mm.

Reactions: kaiged1

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is kinda retarded of me, but I went in walmart today and happend to have been in the sporting goods department, I saw they had a sale on 9mm ammo and even though I don't have my gun yet I bought like 4 boxes of different brands all 100 rd boxes and when she rang me up I only paid like $58. Could she have made a mistake or is 9mm ammo usually like $12 a box lol? I wouldn't know because I never bought ammo before... It did say like 40% off... yes I paid the ten cent tax, and not knowing I didn't think anything about it... just looked at the reciept..

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
This sounds like a scam to me, but Iwould not put it past the Liberals to pass something like that in order to fund some welfare program that they dreamed up while wearing their frilly lace undies while partying and singing combyu!!!:)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Ammunition Tax Stamps State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - License Information

WTF?!?

Taxing ammo?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
TWRA - Ammunition Tax Stamps

State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - License Information

WTF?!?

Taxing ammo?
Yuppers that is what I have found out too..

The ten cents is Tennessee ammo tax. Proceeds from that tax help fund the operation of TWRA. It's not just at Wal-mart. They just put it on the receipt for you. TWRA is the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency.

Also, the reason they ask if you are purchasing handgun or rifle ammo is to verify age. 21 for handgun, 18 for rifle.
At least, that is what I have determined so far, for the state of TN anyway.
Ammunition Tax Stamps

State law requires that all persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of buying, selling, distributing, storing, receiving, having in possession or using shotgun shells or metallic cartridges, shall pay a special privilege tax in addition to all other taxes in an amount or equal to 10 cents per individual container on all center-fire ammunition, all shotgun shells, and rim-fire ammunition. For more information about Ammunition Tax Stamps and how to obtain them, please contact the TWRA Revenue Office at 1-800-648-8798.

Thanks all,
Rob

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
This is kinda retarded of me, but I went in walmart today and happend to have been in the sporting goods department, I saw they had a sale on 9mm ammo and even though I don't have my gun yet I bought like 4 boxes of different brands all 100 rd boxes and when she rang me up I only paid like $58. Could she have made a mistake or is 9mm ammo usually like $12 a box lol? I wouldn't know because I never bought ammo before... It did say like 40% off... yes I paid the ten cent tax, and not knowing I didn't think anything about it... just looked at the reciept..
Federal is about $12 a 50 round box or Winchester 100rd box is near $22.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I have been asked if it was a rifle or handgun at Academy. when I said handgun the asked for ID. I don't know about TN but when I was in Mich. a few years back they would not sell me handgun ammo because I was out of state. I thought that was weired. I gave the money to my friend and they said they could not sell to him because I gave him the money. So this is where it gets really strange he said can I buy it with a credit card and they said yes . So he bought the ammo and I handed him the cash and he handed me the bag they said we could not do that and he said call the cops. And we walked out. It was at Meijors. What a joke.

Reactions: RobThatsMe

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I bet he meant 50 round box. If he used the number pad I bet he fat fingered the 2 when hitting 0.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
They asked me if it was for a handgun too. No $0.10 fee though. I guess you could answer NO.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
They don't ask handgun or rifle here. The sales people here know the difference. They don't even ask for ID unless you don't look old enough.
I was only asked once at a Walmart in Chester because the Manager had made it a policy for all ammo sales, even if you looked old enough to be dead.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts