Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy an old Marlin 25 bolt action rifle that has one magazine. I'm going to check it all over, clean it and then test it out before buying it for $60.00 USD.

Do any of you guys have one of those?

Reactions: kruizer

·
Registered
729 Posts
Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Pay the man before he sobers up.

·
Registered
15,370 Posts
I had the glenfield version of the Marlin 25. It was dead nuts accurate to 100 yards (and probably beyond). I could stack 5 out of 7 rounds into a quarter sized circle at 100 yards using whatever ammo was available. for 60 bucks, I'd buy it as long as the bore is clean.

·
Super Moderator
14,014 Posts
I, like Peacemaker40, owned the Glenfield version. I bought it new in Anchorage in 1978, and passed it on to my youngest son a few years ago. It was, and still is, crazy accurate from first, cold-barrel shot to the last, end-of-the-day shot. Both my oldest son, who had 20/10 vision at the time, and I could dance around the 10 ring at 100 yards, all day long. Not one single, solitary problem with the rifle, either.

I had to replace the original seven shot magazine about three years ago (broken spring), but they're readily available from MidwayUSA.

You will never find a better .22 caliber rifle purchase at $60, anywhere.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Marlin rifles are great quality at an affordable price, IMO. I'm not sure how many I've had over the years, but they've been great. I did have a feeding problem with a .357 lever action years ago, but a friend I sold it to sent it back to Marlin and they fixed it for free, even though he wasn't the original buyer. It's now his favorite rifle. Many people complain about the new lever actions, but the old ones are outstanding and I believe they'll make good on any new gun with problems. The .22 bolt actions are pretty much without issue, I believe.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a model 25 that I got for Christmas when I was 12, I'm 51 now. I'd bet it's got close to 15000 rounds through it and never had a single issue. $60 is an absolute steal.
Thanks, I appreciate your comment. As long as it cycles ammo and there is no large cracks in the stock, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it :) Really looking forward to testing it out.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I, like Peacemaker40, owned the Glenfield version. I bought it new in Anchorage in 1978, and passed it on to my youngest son a few years ago. It was, and still is, crazy accurate from first, cold-barrel shot to the last, end-of-the-day shot. Both my oldest son, who had 20/10 vision at the time, and I could dance around the 10 ring at 100 yards, all day long. Not one single, solitary problem with the rifle, either.

I had to replace the original seven shot magazine about three years ago (broken spring), but they're readily available from MidwayUSA.

You will never find a better .22 caliber rifle purchase at $60, anywhere.
Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marlin rifles are great quality at an affordable price, IMO. I'm not sure how many I've had over the years, but they've been great. I did have a feeding problem with a .357 lever action years ago, but a friend I sold it to sent it back to Marlin and they fixed it for free, even though he wasn't the original buyer. It's now his favorite rifle. Many people complain about the new lever actions, but the old ones are outstanding and I believe they'll make good on any new gun with problems. The .22 bolt actions are pretty much without issue, I believe.
Thank You, good to hear.

·
Super Moderator
38,036 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle! ;)

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
985 Posts
I bet it was at least 15 years ago, maybe even a bit more and i was a brand new member of Palm Bay Rifle and Pistol club and was walking up to my first monthly club swap meet. An older member was walking up holding a remington nylon 66 i great shape and told me he wanted $65. the gun swapped hands and and i figure it as one of the best gun buys i have ever made. During the Nuylon 66 craze some years ago i was tempted to take a nice profit for it but am so glad i didn't. Out shoots me, never changes POI, and the only care it asks for is to wipe the barrel with an oily rag before i put it away.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts