Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NC Nd travel 3 to 4 weeks a month. Can I buy a gun in another state with my NC drivers license or military ID? If I did can I put it in my check baggage or mail it home?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It depends on your states compatibilty with the other state. I live in oregon and could sell you a long gun face to face. And what you would do is get an airline approved hard case, declare it and go. If you want to mail, you HAVE to mail to an FFL dealer in your state and do the check there. That is as much as I know from this side of the country.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It depends on your states compatibilty with the other state. I live in oregon and could sell you a long gun face to face. And what you would do is get an airline approved hard case, declare it and go. If you want to mail, you HAVE to mail to an FFL dealer in your state and do the check there. That is as much as I know from this side of the country.
Sounds like good advice to me. I have never sold outstate, but I have flown with firearms -- pistols and a shotgun. I broke the firearms down as far as possible, declared and showed them, and it was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"and do the check there"... If I do the background check or what ever in the purchasing state what do I need to do on NC? We don't register our guns there.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
From ATF:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

You'll have to follow the regs for shipping, and no handguns.
Long guns only.
Usually you cannot buy a handgun outside your home State, although some States have an Active Duty Military exemption (as does South Carolina).
You would still have to have a handgun shipped to a FFL in your home State.
And NC would have to allow purchase in another State, either contiguous or non-contiguous.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont think you have to do anything if your state does not register the guns. We do not have registering here in oregon either. Ask a gunsmith that you know if there is anything you would have to do. I know that I dont have to when I bring home a gun from out of state, other than go shoot it.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Well you can mail it home. Ain't legal But I reckon you can do it if you want to. I suppose UPS would be a better choice, ain't sure that would be legal either. But the real question is: are you willing to take the risk?

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
long guns yes. must buy handgun in state of residence, unless you buy in one state and have ffl send to ffl in your state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts