Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a 9mm. The guns I am currently looking at.

Glock 17
CZ SP01
Taurus 24/7
Ruger P89

Which of these would you choose and why?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own the 24/7 compact in 40S&W, it's an accurate gun that conceals real easy. I've never shot a Glock in 9mm, or the CZ. I own a P89, great range gun, this thing will eat anything you feed it with no problems. The P89 is heavy ugly gun, but I will never trade mine off.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have a Glock 17 and a Ruger P89. I like the P89 and.... the more you shoot it.... the prettier it gets!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Will you be carrying any of these guns, or are they for Range/Home Defense purposes?

·
32,651 Posts
Jkwas asks a good question. We have no idea what you're shooting experience or record is either.
All the pistols you have listed are excellent guns.

What trigger types are you familiar with, if any?
Glock 17 and the Taurus 24/7 have trigger pulls that feel similar to a light revolver single action trigger pull,even though these are basically double action only triggers.

The other two models offer hard double action trigger pull for the first shot and light single action trigger pull for each shot after that.

So if you are familiar with one of the two trigger types go with what you know.
If not, the DA/SA Ruger or the CZ are a little easier to learn to shoot over the other two bands. Not by much however.

DAO triggers take a little more dedication,time, and practice to become proficient with, but are well worth it.

Even the various brands,makes and models of double action only tigger pistols have vagaries and charactersitics that take getting used to. Even simlar makes and models are different enough to warrant the extra getting used to. No two are exactly alike, just like no two Ford Mustangs drive differently and have individual characteristics to become familiar with.

Glock triggers to take getting use to and there are unique techniques used in firing the Glock that are not used as much with other pistols. The trigger is hinged. Trigger takeup and it's stages are different than for other pistols. Again, practice and dedication are needed. Obviously this is not to difficult, but there has to be a mindset for this.

I can say that I have some experience with some of these. The PT111 and Ruger P95DC polymer framed guns are cousins to two of the models up for consideration.

The daughter has a CZ75BD and a CZ85B.Have shot those and they are excellent pistols. These are cousins of the CZ SP01. The CZs fit her hand and work well with her. My hands and fingers are short. Thus the Ruger P95 rather than the others.

The Taurus grip does accomodate a wider group of hand sizes than do the others. That is unless the other brands come with adjustable handgrips.

So this boils down to what fits you and your needs.

If price is a factor the Taurus,CZ, and Ruger are the way to go if they fit you. Ruger P95s are polymer framed and cost less than even the P89, but not by a lot. Worth looking into though.
Glocks are fine guns. There are those who either love them or hate them though. True for other brands also, but the Glock is of a different stripe in some ways compared to others.

Who knows? Maybe you'll go with a 1911 of Taurus PT persuasion.1911s have their own unique characteristics, as do pther 1911's. Hitting accurately easily, simple manual of arms, and being a .45ACP mean there is a lot going for it.

All this from a forum here who is supposedly biased toward Taurus guns, only. Fat chance! :D A majority of members and staff have other brands,makes, and models of other firearms. :)
Those who have Taurus guns only are just satisfied customers who have no reason to look any further than they have. Taurus makes a quality product. This despite "conventional wisdom" that is not necessarily wise. ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The Taurus 24/7's that are DAO (double action only) are the ones that feel like a long smooth revolver trigger. The DA/SA models which are the most common now, have a very nice, even, short, smooth trigger pull and is the best trigger I have ever found on anything short of a finely tuned Colt 1911.

Buy the 24/7 it has the best grip feel and the fastest trigger. The DA/SA 24/7's are listed as the fastest semi-auto in the wrold as far as speeding shooting and accuracy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I work armed security from time to time so I will be carrying in a holster. I went and felt a couple guns today and most felt the same. I held XD 9, Glock 17, Ruger p89, M&P 9, 92FS, and 24,7 Pro. I was most impressed with the XD. Just seemed more modern. I felt little difference between them all. Some were small on the hands. Guess I have big hands. I want something with a hi cap mag. 17+. I am attracted to the glock for the 33 round mag and the cz for the bayonet/light. Stupid reasons to want a gun but I feel it sets them apart from the others. I liked the Xds three different types of safety though. Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The 33 round mag & bayonet don't work great in a holster ;) That almost sounds like a mall- Ninja gun......

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
If you need 17+ rounds as armed security, you need a rifle or a shotgun. Or you're on a protection detail but that would likely require different equipment and additional training.

Steelheart

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't NEED 17 rds but would like to have that for peace of mind. I know aim is #1 in stopping a threat but I would like to have 17rds.

I have a guy who just bought a Ruger KP95 trying to sell his. He bought it to carry and the instructor would not pass him with it because he did not know how to properly operate it. It might have 50 rounds through it. 3 mags. Not sure if it is black or stainless but he wants $250 for it. I am afraid the grip might be too small but we will see. I might jump on that deal this coming friday,
Steelheart said:
If you need 17+ rounds as armed security, you need a rifle or a shotgun. Or you're on a protection detail but that would likely require different equipment and additional training.

Steelheart

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
$250 for the Ruger? Buy it. Even if you get something else, that's a great price. I recently saw a Ruger 9mm in a pawn shop that the guy was asking $395 for, so the $250 Ruger seems to be a bargain.
The P-95 is has a 15 round magazine, so that's pretty close to the 17 you want, too.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Although I am a wee-bit biased towards Taurus firearms, I think you should by what feels right to you. If its an XD go for it. Keep in mind that most super-high-cap mags don't work reliably but are fun for plinking with friends :) Stick with the factory high-caps...

I would advise going for a full size firearm (4-5" barrel) if your carrying open on a duty belt. My reasoning is that bigger makes more of a statement while in uniform and longer barrel is more accurate, gives you a larger/longer site picture for better aim, generally less recoil and it makes a nice little head-thumper too ;)

The Taurus PT92 or even Beretta's copy of the PT92 (bet some of you like that remark ;) ) are well seasoned veterens of LEO and miltary use. And they are well suited for people with large hands (like myself).

One big plus towards the Taurus 24/7's is the triggers. It is the fastest and shortest SA trigger made on any DA/SA pistol. Once you chamber a round it is always in SA mod (that is a good thing generally). Personally I feel most LEO should carry DAO firearms for a number of a reasons... Liability from accidentally discharge is a number one reason. I have yet to see a LE building without a bullet hole somewhere in it from an officers accidental discharge.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
DRAEGER said:
I have yet to see a LE building without a bullet hole somewhere in it from an officers accidental discharge.
Never saw one in the 83rd Precinct in Brooklyn... ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Never saw one in the 83rd Precinct in Brooklyn... ;)

I bet somewhere there is atleast one, although none of them like to brag about... funny thing is that it isn't always the new guys that do it. I know we have an Illinois State Trooper that shot his light bar through the roof with his 12 gauge from inside the car. Only evidence is the patch on the roof and a doctors bill for a hearing check.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have owned nearly a dozen guns(Wilson CQB, Springfield 1911,Kimber SS Target II,etc) and haven't had a gun make such an impression on me like the beretta px4! The minute I fired it, I wanted one! Accurate, HI-CAP(17+1) very low recoil, ultra reliable and low cost($500 +-) They're available in 9 and 40 currently(45 acp is in the works). By all means, try one! I think some of the earlier one's we're dao, but the new crop are configured in DA/SA. I liked the one I fired and bought one. Fired mine 360 trouble free rounds then traded my e.german makarov for a used one at a local gun store so now I have two!

My sig 239 9mm was my favorite for a while....Well, that one is on the way out!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Draeger, I love your remark about the Beretta being a copy of the Taurus PT-92. But, it's only a near- clone. Beretta missed the boat with the safety/ decocker. They put it in the wrong place. lol

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I like to call Beretta 92's, Taurus copies when I go to Gunshows and out of town Gunshops, just for fun.

I wouldn't mine having a Beretta PX4 to go with my Beretta CX4 carbine both in 9MM, but after modding my mags the PT92's, 24/7 9mm's and CX4 all use the same magazine now so why bother :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with a lot of the other guys; buy what feels the best to you and, even better, shoot them if you can. I've got the G17 and a CZ 85B; both are dead on out of the box and have had no malfunctions of any kind. Personally, the G17 if my fav of all my 9mm's.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The P95 sounds like your best bet. That's a good deal and they are a rugged pistol. Something that will take a beating hanging outside on a holster. They break down super easy and are as accurate as all get out. 30 rnd mags are available as well, if that's what you really want.
If the grip isn't big enough ( you must have bit mitts ) you can put a hogue handall on it to thicken it up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts