Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share this overview of 1911's by a guy who seems to know what he's talking about. Seems to be a good jumping off point if you're in the market for this type of firearm. He gives a run down by make/brand, prices (as of 2011) and characteristics of the gun with links to manufacturers.

Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
thanks

jhp
every one knows i am a 1911 junkie

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Thanks!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I happened across this listing a few days ago.
Writer seems to know his guns (as opposed to those "writers" who just reprint press releases) and indicates he actually owns many of those discussed.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I happened across this listing a few days ago.
Writer seems to know his guns (as opposed to those "writers" who just reprint press releases) and indicates he actually owns many of those discussed.
It seems he has a lot of money tied up in his collection. The guns probably have appreciated even if he used them and it sounds like he's more of a shooter than a safe queen.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
He didn't have very much good to say about the Taurus PT 1911, but he has his opinion and I have mine.
I did notice his article was 2 years old maybe he has changed his mind since he posted it.

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
This guy is somewhat of a gun snob judging by the guns he owns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He didn't have very much good to say about the Taurus PT 1911, but he has his opinion and I have mine.
I did notice his article was 2 years old maybe he has changed his mind since he posted it.
I have to agree, I think he had an unfavorable bias against the Taurus going in as have many gun writers. I am sure some early samples suffered from early production issues but the PT1911 I bought last December is nicely machined, tightly fitted, extremely accurate (really, really accurate, it equals my Ruger Mark 1 Target in that department) and has been 100% reliable with all kinds of ammo including reloads. My son has a Kimber Custom Royal something or other and the slide to frame fit on my Taurus is better, barrel lockup is tighter and the Taurus is more accurate to boot. They both have MIM parts and the Kimber has a plastic mainspring housing. I just don't understand why Taurus gets a bad rap in the gun media. It's like they turn a deaf ear to other companies foibles but zoom in on Taurus. I would bet that Taurus sells more 1911s than Kimber or Colt and that percentage wise the problems are on par. I bought a new Colt Mark III Trooper once that had been bored and rifled as a 9mm. The groove diameter was .354 instead of .357 and it consequently had some pressure and accuracy issues. Colt wouldn't even answer my letters regarding this pistol (this was pre-internet days). I would say that all manufacturers have some issues, Taurus just sells a lot of pistols so the number of firearms with issues may seem more common but again, I bet the percentages are not that much different. In other words, I love my PT1911 and would challenge anyone to tell me that some other brand performs better than the one I have.

I know, everyone wants pictures so here you go. The holster is one I made back in the mid '80s when I was active in IPSC.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Gun Handgun holster Revolver Starting pistol Gun accessory

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I am a member on that forum also and generally it is a good forum for 1911 info. But for some reason they tend to think that a 1911 comes with issues and to exspect them to have lots of problems. I credit this to they dont seem to have many pt 1911s. I have found totally the oppisite all my 1911s seem to run great and I have several different manufatures guns. so does von zipper and olfarhors and they never say much about problems.even when some one has an issue usually it can be fixed. but as a whole I find 1911 pistols to be a great choice for a fire arm. but I see a lot of look downs on the rock island pt 1911 and citadel models.

jhp
To me the negative publicity keeps those models as best values for the money

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
You also have to think about the improvements that many companies like Rock island, SAM etc have made in their options, as well as imports now from Turkey/Serbia etc.
as for being only 2 years old Taurus in the case of the Pt1911 really hasn't made any improvements or changes that I am aware of so todays PT1911 should be pretty much in line with the ones from 2 years ago.
they had some problems many years ago with the ambi safety and then of course the Hienie straight eight sights but those have long been changed.
IF anything taurus has reduced the number of options on the PT1911.
We as humans tend to agree with what people state that we also believe and disagree with what we do not like or think, as stated this is one persons opinion, althoguh a knowledgeable person it appears?
Its simply not fair to compare a 5-600 dollar 1911 to a 800-1200 dollar 1911 and expect the same, you may find some that are as good but across the board the higher end 1911 is going to come out on top.
as i have said many times , anyone that wants to make a great 1911 can, there are no secrets about the gun after 100 plus years and what does work and what doesn't.
taurus makes a very good middle of the price road 1911.

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
I am a member on that forum also and generally it is a good forum for 1911 info. But for some reason they tend to think that a 1911 comes with issues and to exspect them to have lots of problems. I credit this to they dont seem to have many pt 1911s. I have found totally the oppisite all my 1911s seem to run great and I have several different manufatures guns. so does von zipper and olfarhors and they never say much about problems.even when some one has an issue usually it can be fixed. but as a whole I find 1911 pistols to be a great choice for a fire arm. but I see a lot of look downs on the rock island pt 1911 and citadel models.
The 1911 problems that i have encountered over the years are:
A colt officers model that ran 90% on FMJ, and 50% on JHP, never did get it to work 100%!
A Pt1911 that had extraction problems( had a soft extractor and was replaced by Taurus), a ATI commander that sheared off the ejector in less than 350 rounds fired, took it to the smith and was repaired, ran 100% since.
Thats all that i can remember other than routine maintenace.
so if you can make sense out of this or see a pattern be at it!
MY most accurate 1911 weapons are:
Taurus PT1911 38 super, dan Wesson, Springfield rnage officer, Rock island 10 MM, Colt Elite, again if you see a pattern then so be it.

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 1911 problems that i have encountered over the years are:
A colt officers model that ran 90% on FMJ, and 50% on JHP, never did get it to work 100%!
A Pt1911 that had extraction problems( had a soft extractor and was replaced by Taurus), a ATI commander that sheared off the ejector in less than 350 rounds fired, took it to the smith and was repaired, ran 100% since.
Thats all that i can remember other than routine maintenace.
so if you can make sense out of this or see a pattern be at it!
MY most accurate 1911 weapons are:
Taurus PT1911 38 super, dan Wesson, Springfield rnage officer, Rock island 10 MM, Colt Elite, again if you see a pattern then so be it.
That RIA 10mm seems like a sweet deal

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My most accurate 1911A1 is an old Randall Service Model. It has a FACTORY trigger that measures 2.5 pounds, nice, proud sights, and feeds anything that has .45 ACP on the base of the case. Yet, to read the period magazines, it shouldn't. Why? Perhaps because it wasn't a Colt.

Taurus' first offerings of the PT1911 took off, and the factory was pumping them out as fast as they could. The QC HAD to suffer, as we've seen from virtually all manufacturers these past couple of years of unheard-of demand. Also, ask Ruger about fast-selling models that there was a problem with. By the time that the factory discovers it, and develops a fix for it, there are literally tens of thousands of the older guns, with the problem, being bashed on every forum in the world. Here is America, we give Ruger a pass, the "new model bug". Taurus, a foreign manufacturer, doesn't get anything of the sort. Look at Europe's opinion of Ruger to see what I mean.

The current PT1911 that sits on today's shelf is a better piece than the original. Taurus has fixed the ambi-safety issue, discontinued the Heinie Straight-Eight sight (because some shooters would rather bad-mouth than learn how to use something new), and cleaned up the overall QC.

Oddly, my PT1911 is about three years old, and has evidenced none of the issues mentioned. Go figure. THAT is when you hear the "a good one is great, but a bad one?" excuse.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I never really thought it would come but all of the options available nowadays for a 1911 is really confusing for those new to the gun. a guide like that one is really needed. There's so many factory available options out there that it gets confusing when it comes time to figure out what you want/need.

Back 20 years ago, you were lucky to find anything except a GI issue style gun (solid long, or maybe a short, trigger, right side only- non extended safety, skinny tang on the grip safety, fixed- usually black but occasionally 3 dot- sights, ...) unless you paid the big bucks for a target model that came with adjustable sights. Even then, you got little more than a well fitted, adjustable sight gun with a better trigger. Anything else was aftermarket. Back then, if you wanted a Commander style rowel hammer on a 5 inch gun instead of the spur, you ordered the hammer and put it in or had a smith do it. Same for changing the sights, extended safeties, ambi safeties, extended slide releases, oversized mag buttons and even something as simple as a full length guide rod. The Lord only knows how much money Brownell's and similar outfits- not to mention all the long established custom 1911 houses like King's, Wilson and Ed Brown- made selling parts to owners to customize their personal guns.

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of glad it wasn't available back when I was first getting into handguns. It saved me a whole mountain of money because I had to get a basic GI gun and figure out what I need to change to make it work for me better instead of figuring out what I didn't need.

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
That RIA 10mm seems like a sweet deal

Mine certainly has!
I have had the opportunity to handle 4 of them now and the quality appears to be the same, didn't get to shoot any except mine of course.
This pistola has quickly moved to near the front of the line "favorite" in short time, maybe its the lure of the 10MM?
but the thing shoots well,accurate and flawlessly so far.
not a show stopper with the parkerized finish but it is a performer, I mean who wants a show horse 10MM anyway?
Now if they would just make the exact same gun except in 38 super all would be right with the world, well my world anyway.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You can find the Armscor .38 Super version under the 'Citadel' name that is imported by Legacy Sports.

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
You can find the Armscor .38 Super version under the 'Citadel' name that is imported by Legacy Sports.
Haven't seen any of the phillipino 1911's in 38 Super except for rock island, and they are G I models, OK, one is bright nickle G I model!-LOL.
The Rock island tactical II has the fully supported and ramped barrel, as well as adjustable sights among the other interesting goodies!
all i would need to do to have what i wanted would be like the 10 MM, just load the magazines!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Legacy Sports - M-1911 the 38 super is 3/4 way down the page hit specs tab and its rock island with citadel fit and finish I have been on phone with armscorp for support on my citadel and they said its there product

jhp

1 - 20 of 21 Posts