Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one accomplish purchasing a firearm from another state. We have a huge gun show coming to town but if you know your geography you know that kansas city sits half in kansas and half in missouri,,, me Kansas,, Gun show Missouri. What to do. also you guys say you are getting pt1911's for 450-550. there is a pt1911b? at cabelas in town they want 599. is that normal price for a chain or is my market just rediculous?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry, I can't answer the gun show issue....

But no, that's not just a normal price for a "chain". I bought my PT1911 at a Sportsman's Warehouse last September in Phoenix for $450 (don't know what the current price might be). While I don't know where they're located, I understand there are 30 stores around the country. So that's one example of a chain that actually does nice things for the consumer.

My very limited dealings with Cabela's is that they are expensive unless you happen to find something you want on sale.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That is about the price of a PT1911B here in Seattle, Mike. I don't know what the gun laws are in your state, but here in Washington I can purchase a pistol from a private owner with no background check and the seller doesn't have to have an FFL. However, the moment I go to a dealer, then I have to go through the background check and paper work and the dealer must have an FFL. If I want a gun in another state, I either have to drive to that state to purchase the firearm under that state's laws, or I have to deal with a person who has an FFL and they must then send the gun to a dealer in my state with an FFL. There is a good chance that the laws are pretty similar nation wide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it a hassle to transfer through a local dealer. I can't imagine they wouldn't charge you something to handle your transaction. should i just go to cabelas and pay over the top for the ease of it. I mean it is 20 minutes from home and i can have the pistol in as little as 1 day if the background check people arent backed up. HAs anyone purchased online or through a dealer out of state?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Mike, a question I can answer. I used to be a dealer so I have the skinny on the gunshow part of your post. Pierce is correct that if you find a HANDGUN at a gun show in Missouri, you purchase it from that dealer who then has to ship it (or deliver it) to a Kansas dealer who then conducts the over the counter transaction IAW all Fed and Kansas laws (ie. NCIS check, etc.). All this really isn't state law, but Federal. Long guns can be purchased at the show directly from the dealer, as long as you are a resident of an adjacent state (which you are). It is a good idea to make the Kansas dealer aware of such a possible transaction, and maybe give him a chance to make the deal himself, because you will be responsible for shipping costs and a fee from the Kansas dealer to do the paperwork. I used to charge $20 for the paperwork on such transactions. Small, independent dealers are usually more receptive to doing this than larger stores, because they want to sell you the gun from the getgo. Unless the Missouri dealer is really wanting to get rid of a new gun for whatever reason, or in the case of old, collectable guns, what you might save at the gunshow might wash away in the fees to complete the transaction across state lines. Also, I have noticed Cabelas is kinda 'proud' of thier handguns unless on sale. Good luck,
Geoff

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Budsgunshop.com has them right now for $479.00 just call them up and tell them you want to order one and they will walk you through what you need to do. They are going to want the FFL dealer to fax them a copy of there license and once they recieve that you can pay buds for the gun and they will ship it to the dealer of your choice, your dealer will then do the paper work (for a small fee) just like they would if you bought the gun from them. Its a good idea to let the shop know ahead of time and find out what there transfer fee is and if they are willing to do it. If they are not willing to do it or want to charge you 50 bucks or more then find someone else. Most places will charge around 25-35 bucks do to the paper work,

heres the link to buds

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/17285

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Only if you have money or credit available...

Steelheart

·
Registered
32 Posts
One other reason for paying the higher price and buying it locally....

While it's only happened to me once, it was with my last new gun purchase, my PT145. The Sportsmans Warehouse is 150 miles from my home. When it had to be sent back to Taurus, I had to weigh the cost and effort to bring it back to the store and let them handle it, or simply pay for the shipping out of pocket.

To bring it to the store would have been two different days of many hours spent bringing it there and picking it up again, and over 600 total miles of driving.

The cost to send it back via UPS was $46.01 - definitely not insignificant.

While I would buy again from Sportsmans Warehouse in a heartbeat, it's certainly a consideration.

My preference to them over my local shops is purely financial. I have a hard time with the two local shops that wanted $599 and $580 for a PT1911.... I bought mine for $450 at Sportsmans, and since I had a coupon, also got a gift card for $150. I used that on my next visit to buy the PT145.... which was then only $160 out of my pocket (plus tax). So that was an even greater incentive NOT to buy locally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts