Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see some Bullseye Powder recipes for .45acp, say in the 200gr. bullet range. Used to use it, but its been awhile and lost my notes. :(

Super Moderator
I shoot 5.0 grains behind a Lee tumble lube 200 grain SWC. Works for me. About a standard power load produces about 900 fps from my Ruger P90 IIRC.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, aaronc53 and NativeTexan. I knew I used to load in those ranges. Settled on 4.5 grains today and gave a few a try. Very good load for PT145 and Ruger P345. :thumb: :thumb:

Registered
We use Bullseye for all our pistol loads: 3.5 - 4.0gr for 38spl, 5.0gr for 45acp, and 6.5gr for .357mag.

The 45acp load at 5.0gr behind a 200 or 210gr LSWC is a nice round to shoot. It just feels good - a solid shot with very manageable recoil in a 4.25 or 5" gun. It felt rather hot in a 3".

Bullseye being a fast burning powder is not the ideal for magnum loads, but it doesn't take as much powder to get a decent target load (compared to a Blue Dot, etc.)

--jcd

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, doesn't take as much. Thats why I bought it. More economical.

Registered
Bullseye is a very versitile powder and will work for many calibers. As mullrider pointed out it's not the best magnum load (2400 works better for me). That said one of my favorite recipes for the 357 is a 125gr JSP in front of 8.4gr of the Bull. It will sting your hand and cause dust to fall from the rafters at the indoor range! I also load some 9mm 124gr Lead RN in front of 4.7gr of Bull. haven't crono'ed the load but I think its pretty quick.

Registered
Mulerider93 said:
8.4gr of Bullseye? Dang! That would reeeeeaaaaly give you a pop in a snubbie.

-jcd
Don't know about a snubbie but it will rattle your fillings fired from a 4" 608! I refer to it as my "get the lead out" round. After shooting a hundred or so wad cutters, I finish the day with a wheel load of these bad boys. I don't know if it really helps or not but I like to think that it may blow out a little bit of the lead that has accumulated in the barrel. The recipe is actually one that's posted on Alliants reloading guide so I felt relatively comfortable loading them up.

Registered
rainman, I think it does work but it's not recommanded since it increases the preasure in the barrel. Assuming you're talking about shooting FMJ's after lots of lead loads.

I guess after only 100 rounds it shouldn't be that bad though...

Registered
Gray_Wolf said:
rainman, I think it does work but it's not recommanded since it increases the preasure in the barrel. Assuming you're talking about shooting FMJ's after lots of lead loads.

I guess after only 100 rounds it shouldn't be that bad though...
Grey Wolf, my "lead cleaners" are 125gr JSP. Like you, I don't think I would feel comfortable with straight FMJ rounds regardless of weight. Just an observation but I seem to have very little to no leading issues with the 608. My wad cutters are cast using Lee's 148gr tumble lube mold. The bullets are made from straight wheel weights with 10% tin added for hardness. As recomended, I use Lee's Alox bullet lube applied twice just to be on the safe side and I always inspect the barrel several times durring a range session to check for abnormal leading. With that said, thank you for your comments and concern. One can never be too careful nor can someone ever have too much good advice.

Super Moderator
Unique is a more versatile powder for loading everything than Bullseye IMHO. I use Bullseye for my light loads, like 2.7 grains in a 148 wadcutter .38 load. It works great in .45ACP as noted. If you wanna go +P in .45ACP, I suggest Unique. Unique even works for mild +P .38 loads behind a 158 grain bullet. It's a little fast for my liking in .357 for hot loads, though.

However, Unique is pretty dirty and not quite as economical as Bullseye for paper punching loads and I use a LOT more bullseye than Unique except that my light .45 Colt loads involve Unique. That case is HUGE and a light charge of Bullseye would get lost in there. LOL

In Alliant Powders, I can get it done with just 3 powders, really, Bullseye, Unique, and 2400. Of course, I have a few pounds of other options like anyone else who plays around with loads, but my standard loads settle on these three powders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts