Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about half a pound of bullseye powder I would like to use up. The two guns I will be shooting it in are a snubby 38 spcl. NOT +P rated, and a 357 mag. They will be all loaded in 38 spcl. cases with 158 JSP bullets. My problem is with the consistency of the load data I'm finding. Nosler manual shows 4.1gr as max without saying if it's a +P load, but others show it as a +P load. I want a load that's near the top, but safe for my 38 snub nosed Rossi as well. So, in short, is 4.1 grs. of Bullseye a +P load for the 38 spcl.? Thanks

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
First of all let me say that I love Bullseye Powder and I use it with a lot of 38 spl and 45 acp loads with cast lead bullets. If loading jacketed bullets I prefer Unique or WW 231. You can get more of what your looking for in a jacketed bullet load with these powders.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I'd agree with texastaurusguy. I use bullseye a lot. I'd call anything over 3.5 gr with a 158 gr bullet to be +P. I've used 4.0 with a 158 gr. lead SWC and it "feels" a little hot. 3.5 gr with a 158 also seems to shoot to the point of aim in my fixed sight guns, while the 4.0 gr load shoots a bit low. This tends to lead me to believe that the 3.5 gr load is close to the standard load as most of my older fixed sight guns should be regulated for the standard load.

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
For just a half pound of powder I would probably just hold it in stock for a load to be named later and buy the best and most versatile powder for the .38 Special. Sealed tightly it has a long shelf life.

By the time that you work up a load for the Bullseye that you are satisfied with, it will be gone and you won't buy anymore for that load anyway.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Going back 60 years in some of my old Ideal hand books I find 3.5 gr. of Bullseye to be the standard load for 158 gr. bullets of any design in 38 Special. Speer #5 lists it with jacketed and swaged bullets, Hornady did the same, Lyman/Ideal has been listing it longer than most of the bullet manufacturers have been in business. I've been using it for well over 50 years all by my lonesome, It is a good load and safe in any gun built since 38 Special came out. 38 Special and Bullseye were developed within a few years of each other. Good cartridge and great powder.

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
I don't load a lot of .38 Special anymore, but Bullseye is what I started loading them with years ago, and still do today. I've burned lots of pounds of the stuff. I think on the can, it states, it's recommended for .38 Special and .45 ACP loading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read, many times, about the 3.5gr. load being the standard load for this powder and 158gr bullets. I'm thinking I will just work up to that load and be happy with it. I just want a load to help me with my trigger squeeze in the 357, but I wanted to make sure I could fire it in the 38 as well. I have loaded all my own rifle ammo for ever, but this will be my first handgun reloads and this powder was the only one I had on hand suitable for handguns. (And NO, I wasn't loading bullseye in rifles! It came to me thru a brother in-law passing away) Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I have read, many times, about the 3.5gr. load being the standard load for this powder and 158gr bullets. I'm thinking I will just work up to that load and be happy with it. I just want a load to help me with my trigger squeeze in the 357, but I wanted to make sure I could fire it in the 38 as well. I have loaded all my own rifle ammo for ever, but this will be my first handgun reloads and this powder was the only one I had on hand suitable for handguns. (And NO, I wasn't loading bullseye in rifles! It came to me thru a brother in-law passing away) Thanks.
In my experience you'll find the 3.5 gr load a bit more accurate than the 4.0 gr load. Not by a ton, but I checked my old records and the 3.5 gr load would shoot around 2" average off sandbags at 25 yards, while the 4.0 ran more like 2 1/2", both with a cast RCBS 158 gr. SWC. Those are both averages of many groups shot over different sessions. I doubt I could duplicate that now, my eyes don't have it in them anymore. But generally you'll find maximum loads are not the most accurate.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ditto on the near max loads often not being the most accurate. This is one of those situations, I use the 3.5 load in my 357, it's very accurate. Even in 357 cases. Now H110 or 2400 in 357 is a different situation.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
In .38 special, I like Bullseye for target/light loads, prefer Unique for heavier +P stuff. But, Bullseye can push a 158 grain pill pretty well.

My most fired and favorite .38 load is 2.7 grains B'eye behind a Lee cast 148 grain wadcutter. It's superbly accurate and easy on guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts