Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some ideas and suggestions on what combination of bullet and powder works best for you? This past year I bought a .50 cal. Thompson Center Impact inline rifle (cheap) for Pennsylvania's inline deer season. I'm just starting to get it set up and have added a 1.5-5x scope in Talley mounts. I've cleaned the bore and swabbed it down with bore butter. I think I have most of the essentials, Triple Seven powder, powder measure, breech plug grease, bore cleaner, patches and swabs, 209 shotgun primers and a few different bullets including 320gr. TC Maxi-balls, 385gr. Hornady Great Plains bullets and .45 cal. 250gr. TC shockwave bullets in sabots.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have always used balls in my 50 cal cap and ball T/C Greyhawk. I've never tried shooting an inline muzzle loader.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Find out what the twist rate is on the barrel and match style of projectile to it. Not all projectiles shoot well with a given twist rate and muzzle loaders vary widely in the twist rate used.

Once you've narrowed it down some, then you can get a sampling of what projectiles are available and play with finding the best combination of projectile and powder charge.

Given that this is a modern inline, I'd bet that the sabot style are going to be the way to go but check to see what the gun's set up to shoot. Which one is the best is gonna come down to the gun in question.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
My inline CVA Wolf is a 1:32 twist. My Cabela's hawken hunter carbine is 1:24. Both love the 385 grain full caliber Hornady great plains minie. I've taken one deer with it, but that was a face on shot to the chest and it went down before the smoke could clear. :D Shot was off hand about 30 yards. I can recommend THAT one. My Hawken hunter carbine shoots saboted .44 caliber 240 grain bullets quite well, but I don't like the slivers of plastic it leaves in the bore nor do I think it's preferable to a full caliber projectile.

The one bullet I've heard was quite accurate in the Wolf I've not tried. It's kinda pricey and I don't need it, really, for the ballistic coefficient. It's the "powerbelt". I'm plenty happy with the Great Plains and the powerbelt is expensive.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
BTW, out of my 24" CVA barrel, the 385 Minie Great Plains bullet pushed with 70 grains by volume of FFFG triple 7, gives nearly 1800 fps. It's the hammer of thor. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts