Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving some thought to making a large size bullet trap for catching the lead bullets or jacketed pistol bullets. I shoot a lot of 45 70 bullets weighing up to 500+ grains and 45 & 38 pistol bullets that I cast. I recover some but it's a pain to collect from my berm and remelt them. I have an old 12 ft. long, round gasoline tank that has been cut in half. The curved steel should deflect most bullets down into the ground or what ever I come up with to stop their momentum. Anyone had any experience with this concept?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well at our club we use steel plates at a angle and below this is a concrete channel filled with sand, easy to collect.

saves you money too

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Sir, 1/2" mild steel plate set at an angle will turn the bullets to the ground. Your 45/70 rounds with 500 grain bullets will cause it to bow. I welded a section of pipe to a 4 ft square plate on one edge. I turn the plate when it starts to bow. Metal standing against it on each side catches side splattered. The plate will split over time but can be welded. It can be set on level ground and turned by one man. Have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts