Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had almost finished loading my first 100 rounds - 75 in fact - when I suddenly started getting some odd things happening on my electronic scale. It's a Hornady GS-1500 that came with my press.....anyway, I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I was getting inconsistent readings, so I went to calibrate it again. Turned out, I had calibrated it incorrectly the first time - I didn't press the button again and get the 'pass' message that you're supposed to. Crap. So I started pulling bullets randomly, and sure enough, the charge was much too light - about 3.8 grains of HP38 instead of 6.2. Crap.

So I calibrated the scale correctly and my 185 grain bullets started calibrating at 184.9 grains. Imagine that. So I started using the kinetic bullet puller and it was going fine, but I thought that if this ever happens again I need a better way to do this. I came across the RCBS Bullet Puller Die and collets. The collet goes up into the die from underneath, and screws into the top piece that you use to tighten it down onto the bullet. Then, you simply push the arm of the press back up and you have a bulletless shell.

Once I got going, it was much faster than using the kinetic puller. I really like it. I've re-loaded about 50 rounds and I'll be doing the other 50 this weekend. Also learned a good lesson about my scale too.

Here are some pics of the new toy, with just a little play-by-play.

The RCBS bullet puller die and collet...the die is about $20 and the collets are sold at $11 or so each, and are caliber specific

Put the bullet into the seat with the die installed......

Move the bullet up into the die........

Cinch down the lever on top of the die.......

And voila !

Reactions: darbo and 20361

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Thanks for the post TTG. I use an digital and a beam. I weigh out 10 throws from the powder measure on the digital just to get close to what I need. Then I fine tune with the beam. I check one out of every 10-20 throws. It works for me.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Been there, done that. This is one reason I started to use a fixed powder measure most of the time, assuming I can find a good load with one of the charge holes (90% of the time I can, at least for handguns). It's not that I depend on the measure, but if the scale is way off from the measure and what I think it should be, I check to see if I have the right disk. If it seems right I suspect the scale.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It started acting up on me again today but this time I re-calibrated correctly, then went back and checked a few to be sure they were right. They were.

It sure helps to have a dead-accurate point of reference, like the specific-grain bullet, when you have to check and be sure everything is okay.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Today I got from Amazon my Hornady #8 shell holder for 9mm Luger and .38 Super Auto ($8.03)
Going to get the Lee Auto Primer soon to speed up reloading.
One of these days I'll get a press.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice!! Tip on something that helps with the rcbs bullet puller is put a nylon washer where the handle rotates on the die and it makes it alot easier to use.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice!! Tip on something that helps with the rcbs bullet puller is put a nylon washer where the handle rotates on the die and it makes it alot easier to use.
Thats a good tip, although I hope I never have to pull that many bullets where my hand starts getting tired. :D

I'm almost done with my first batch of 100 rounds, hopefully I can get to the range this week and see how I did.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's why I don't use an electronic scale.

Reactions: 44wcf

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the collet-style puller damage the bullets at all?
It looks like I damaged one bullet - and I think I remember when I did it. I put too much pressure on the collet and it kinda squished it.....the bullet won't seat, it just slides down into the brass. :-\ So lesson learned, just use enough pressure to unseat the bullet and that's it.

I officially have a problem with my scale. It keeps giving me an OUT2 error message now and will not calibrate, will not stay on, or anything. I called Hornady on Monday and they said they would have a UPS label overnighted to me, but I didn't get it yesterday......but I talked to them in the afternoon, so hopefully I get it today. They're going to replace it for free but I'll be without for about a week.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I use my balance beam scale to set my powder drop, and then the digital scale to spot check powder drops, if the digital scale shows a fluctuation I confirm it on the balance beam scale. For the most part the digital scale is right on the money, however it does act up just enough for me not to want to trust it 100%. The few fluctuations the digital scale has given me, the balance beam scale has shown the correct charge, and the digital scale was off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well I've got a cheapo kinetic bullet puller coming in the mail today. If I smash that thing to bits (with my WEEKS of experience, it's likely), maybe I'll look into one of them thar fancy collet pullers.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well I've got a cheapo kinetic bullet puller coming in the mail today. If I smash that thing to bits (with my WEEKS of experience, it's likely), maybe I'll look into one of them thar fancy collet pullers.
These can take a lot of abuse. I have hammered a few rounds and the hammer is no worse for wear. It will suprise you how strong they are.

·
Registered
199 Posts
These can take a lot of abuse. I have hammered a few rounds and the hammer is no worse for wear. It will suprise you how strong they are.
ive got the lyman puller, and every time i hit it on the cement floor in my garage it sounds like it cracked and i have to give it a once over.
i know its designed to take the hits but just the crack the plastic makes, makes me have to look.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ive got the lyman puller, and every time i hit it on the cement floor in my garage it sounds like it cracked and i have to give it a once over.
i know its designed to take the hits but just the crack the plastic makes, makes me have to look.
The Frank Arse puller I just got specifically says in the directions NOT to hit it on concrete. I can get about 6 "firm" strikes on an old solid wood end table before having to re-tighten the cap. The cap loosening is what makes the "cracking plastic" sound, at least on mine. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
35,701 Posts
I use a short length of 2 x 4 held upright on the floor and smack the Frankford puller against the end of it. Mine's still in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I use a chunk of 4x4 for my bullet puller, I did break one, but I was doing some thing stupid.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I actually have a Lyman and a Franklin Arsenal both have been used for years and still work fine. I have a bench plate that I hit on and works fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts