Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys thanks for a great site I'm new to 1911 world. I am having a problem with the pt1911 I bought. When. Go to cock the gun the slider gets caught on the back of the bullet. Do I need to replace the spring in the mag, am I not loading the mag correctly or something with the slider.
Thanks

·
Administrator
35,794 Posts
Are you trying to ease the round into battery? If so, the 1911 doesn't like that at all. Pull all the way back on the slide and let it go - one swift movement. Let it positively rack the round into the chamber.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Are you trying to ease the round into battery? If so, the 1911 doesn't like that at all. Pull all the way back on the slide and let it go - one swift movement. Let it positively rack the round into the chamber.
Yep! This will work. Weapons don't like to be coddled when it comes to chambering a round.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
You might also try locking the slide back, inserting the loaded magazine, and then pushing the release lever down (or pulling the slide back a little more) to load a round in the chamber. This is also a good way to introduce the loaded magazine into the gun in normal firing situations. After the last shot, the slide will lock back. Drop the mag, insert another, drop the slide and commence firing. You don't have to apply as much pressure to get the magazine to seat as you do with the slide forward.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Two things do not work well :icon_ nono:when the operator trys to be "gently" manipulate them.

Pump shotguns and 1911's.

since you're at post #1...

Welcome aboard from
Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Welcome aboard.....rack her hard and let her snap into battery.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Welcome to a great site peopled with knowledgeable people with a wealth of knowhow to apply it. You are being too gentle, as most have said, before me.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You can not move it hard enough to replicate the force it experiences when shooting so do not worry about babying it, grip it hard, rip the slide all the way back and let the slide slam forward as hard as it can.

·
Super Moderator
39,373 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois and congrats on getting one of the very best 1911 values out there!

It's probably a good place to mention that you should NOT ever release the slide via the slide release if there is NO loaded magazine in the pistol. In addition, never load a round through the ejection port...they should always be stripped off of the top of the magazine that is loaded in the gun. Loading through the ejection port can break your ejector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts