Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some new ammo in Academy this week. When I opened up the box to look at them I notice several (at last 7) of the casings had some pretty serious bulges. Norma is a fairly popular name in reloading but I'd never seen production ammo. Does this look safe to shoot?
Hand Cosmetics Finger Nail Thumb

Automotive tire Bumper Font Electric blue Gadget

·
Registered
358 Posts
it`ll work just great -----

·
Administrator
41,043 Posts
Yeah. I’d shoot that.

·
Registered
28,643 Posts
It's fine given the normal caveat that it chambers in your particular firearm.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Safe to shoot. My 380 reloads look exactly like that and have not had any issues. I use Berry bullets and possibly they are slightly out of spec.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Shoot it, that little bit of bulge from the seated bullet isn't that unusual.

As a reloader, I just don't understand where it comes from unless it's caused by the crimp die. If the brass is sized to spec and the bullet is sized to the correct diameter, then where's the bulge coming from?

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,710 Posts
Often called 'wasp waisted' or 'hour glass' and quite common on 9mm, and doesn't surprise me as the 380 is just a miniature 9. The 9 and 380 have tapered brass, what you see is the bullet removing the taper to making the brass around the bullet a larger diameter than the brass below the bullet.

As said earlier if it plunks send it.

I hope that is clearer than mud. 😁

·
Registered
28,643 Posts
Shoot it, that little bit of bulge from the seated bullet isn't that unusual.

As a reloader, I just don't understand where it comes from unless it's caused by the crimp die. If the brass is sized to spec and the bullet is sized to the correct diameter, then where's the bulge coming from?
For one thing "spec" isn't an exact dimension, it is a range. Not a wide range, but even a couple of thousandths is visible and can be felt.
Second, the resizing die is slightly tapered. If you're getting too much (defined by your preference) bulge, back the resizing die off a fraction of a turn.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Common in 9mm, but unsure of "bulges" in 380. Safe to shoot...

·
Registered
37,336 Posts
as mentioned earlier, its NOT uncommon for a projectile to bulge the case neck a bit.
it is kind of unusual to see it in a new factory round but shouldn't be an issue, test the rounds by chambering and ejecting and if they function then I don't see an issue.
reloaders see this quite often when using various diameter projectiles (IE-all lets say for example ALL 9 MM projectiles aren't exactly .355), some may be a tad over or under the size of the case neck.

·
Administrator
35,786 Posts
I'm betting that it chambers, they make factory ammo to pretty much fit in any chamger these days. I sure wouldn't expect to see that from what looks like a premium bullet packaging though.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 13 of 13 Posts