Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright I just got back my 444 ultralite from Taurus who put a new barrel on my revolver. I thought everything looked great but at certain angles of light I can see a slight bulge on the outside in the titanium part of the barrel. Bulges in barrels I know are problems but I am not sure what to think of this with the ultralite where technically the barrel is a steel insert surrounded by the titanium. The inside of the barrel, the steel insert itself, looks great. No bulge that I can see where the bulge in the titanium is at.

Anyone with knowledge on these guns with an opinion on this? My gut tells me it's probably not an issues with, as I said, the actual barrel being the steel insert. How important is the uniformity of the titanium shroud around the steel insert?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I thought about photos but I can't get it to show up. I was just hoping there was some familiar with these ultralite guns and whether the titanium shroud around the 1/4" steel barrel insert needed to be smooth as if it were all one barrel. Again the inside of the steel insert is smooth, no bulge. The bulge is on the outside of the titanium shroud that surrounds the steel barrel insert.

Anybody with knowledge of these guns?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No need to be so rude about it Moondawg. I intend to call CS on Monday but seeing as this is the weekend I thought that perhaps I would try this website to see if anyone here was knowledgable about the ultralite series. In the end I doubt CS reps will know so their answer will be to send it in so one of their service reps can look at it and make a decision which is something I hoped to avoid if at all possible. I once called CS who asked me what ammo I was shooting. When I told them I had shot some 44 spl I was told I couldn't shoot 44 spl in my 44 magnum.... So, outside of being very helpful in getting my gun back to them, I don't see customer service reps being able to answer this question. Sigh, I guess back it goes then.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just curious about why you sent it to have the barrel replaced? On a lot of revolvers the shroud is basically cosmetic and a place to mount the sights. I am not positive on the Taurus but I know Charter Arms just epoxies the shroud to the barrel. Some of the early Bulldog Pugs had a defect where the shroud would come unglued. If the barrel isn't bulged from the iside it's probably a cosmetic defect on the shroud from the factory. If thats the case it probably won't effect shooting. Run a tight fitting patch through the bore and if it is bulged you will probably feel it. Your call whether to send it back or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. It was originally sent in because the barrel was canted, there was no gap between the forcing cone and cylinders which caused binding with prolonged use and there was corrosion on the titanium part of the muzzle. They called the barrel defective and replaced it. The barrel is now straight, no corrosion, and the gaps are perfect. I'm thinking the shroud is cosmetic as well (cosmetic and something to stick a front sight on) but I just wasn't sure.

I'm just going to go with my hunch that the alloy part of the barrel is there for cosmetic purposes and not worry about. Thanks again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No problem. That's probably what I would do. It is a lifetime warranty so if you decide it bugs you down the road you can always send it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.