Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Building an AR

963 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  MisterNoisy 
#1 ·
Well... I've been really wanting to do this and have done a little research. Finally got the wife's approval so I am moving forward. What suggestions for reading and suppliers do you have? I am doing this with my sons (Hence why the wife approved - dad/son quality time). I want to keep it simple but cheap since I will have to make 2 or 3 - who knows... might become a hobby with all the others I enjoy.

#2 · (Edited)
I watched a few video's before I assembled mine. I like the Midway videos on assembling the upper and lower receiver. It is good but geared to selling you lots of tools from Midway. Here is the one about lower receiver: https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...o&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

I also watched a video about improving the AR's gritty tripper and polished the trigger parts.
I bought parts from PSA, Ebay barrel, and upper receiver from other sites. Have fun.

#3 ·
If you go the 80% polymer lowers direction, I would recommend going with uppers in .22 LR to hopefully minimize the stress at the buffer tube collar. A number of them with 5.56 uppers have cracked in that spot lately. Check out Palmetto State Armory for a ton of building deals, especially if you're interested in practically complete kits.

#5 ·
Get with Trucks and Coffee...he just posted his beautiful rifle.

#6 ·
Build completely, in other words build from a stripped lower and build from a stripped upper. That's how I build my 300 AAC Blackout. Anybody can build a stripped lower and slap a commercial upper on it. If you do all the work, you and the son will be more proud of it. And it will mean more in the father/son time spent.

Bill

Reactions: Czechbikr
#7 ·
Great project for you and your sons. When I started mine, my 11 year old at the time was all over it. He ended up building both the lower and upper with minimal help from me. I had to help with a few things he was just not strong enough to do.

We used this video series:

We also used this method for the front take down pin. A lot easier:

Have fun with the project, we are working on #2 now with an AR-10 in the future.

Reactions: Czechbikr
#8 ·
There is a very recent thread about this exact subject.

#9 ·
Key largo posted the videos I used. I've built 3 and it's been pretty easy. I would suggest getting the right tools if you are going to do more builds. It makes life a heck of a lot easier. Also, you may want to upgrade things like triggers, grips, or takedown pins.

#10 · (Edited)
Building is good times! As for suppliers, I like Primary Arms and AIM Surplus, along with MidwayUSA.

Brownells, Cheaper than Dirt and others are worth considering as well.

One thing I'd recommend - even if you're building a KISS AR - would be to upgrade the trigger. I went with the ALG ACT, which retains milspec weight while vastly improving the feel and break of the standard LPK FCG. It's not that my LPK trigger was bad, but the ACT is genuinely good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.