Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our new bed we were asked 'do you want a bed frame with that, just three hundred bucks ?'
I said 'naw ill just build one'.
I have no training just a knack for building stuff.
I didnt know what I was getting into. 250 bucks and two hours later I have the materials.
9 hours later I have most of it pieced together... not bad except I glued it to the floor.
Just a few finishing touches and minor adjustments and its good to go.
Cost one day and 250 bucks the experience of doing it yourself... priceless.

(never again lol )

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Got a picture of this masterpiece?

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Because our weiner dog puppy hid out under our beds when he was bad, we put our mattresses on the floor. Been that way for 13 years to this day, even tho he was put down last year. Still miss him....

·
Administrator
39,371 Posts
I have learned in my life, that some things are better off purchased or hired done by someone else. Harry Callahan's statement comes to mind, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
I usually spend more making something I could have bought, and I've come to the realization, I'm no plumber! :D

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I have learned in my life, that some things are better off purchased or hired done by someone else. Harry Callahan's statement comes to mind, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
I usually spend more making something I could have bought, and I've come to the realization, I'm no plumber! :D
Words of wisdom!!

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I almost did that too when we bought a new bed for our daughter. I eneded up buying one when I looked into it.

At least you have the satisfactin of saying you built it!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Congrats on the handiwork! As someone else said, let's see some pics! Your situation kind of reminds me of our ordeal with our bed frame. The headboard wouldn't fit up the stairwell, so we had to cut it in half and then put in a bunch of bracing to make it stable once the rest of the frame and mattress set was installed. Why in the world these Iowa farmhouses have such narrow and weird-angled upper stairwells I will never know. We had to buy a split box spring for the same reason!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
When we got our new bed we were asked 'do you want a bed frame with that, just three hundred bucks ?'
I said 'naw ill just build one'.
I have no training just a knack for building stuff.
I didnt know what I was getting into. 250 bucks and two hours later I have the materials.
9 hours later I have most of it pieced together... not bad except I glued it to the floor.
Just a few finishing touches and minor adjustments and its good to go.
Cost one day and 250 bucks the experience of doing it yourself... priceless.

(never again lol )
Done that more times than I can remember....get in the middle of something and wish I had hired it out. But, more often than not due to financial limitations (and being a tightwad) I stick with it and get it done. Over the years it led to a truck load of tools, a bunch of knowledge, and for the last 10 years working for myself and getting paid by other people to do it. And it's a 'rare' occasion that I call someone to my house for 'anything'. About the only thing is A/C. And there are things that I do have to take my vehicles to the shop for.

I have always felt that if you can 'make' more money doing what 'you' do, than what you would spend paying someone else to do it, then pay someone else. You will show a 'profit' for your time. But if you're going to pay someone else to do it while you do nothing, then do it yourself.

My pickup needed shocks bad. I hadn't done it before, and didn't really want to do it, but I didn't really want to part with the money to pay someone else to do it (since I just dumped $450 on the 'inside the tank' fuel pump). So, as work is spotty, I had time. Ordered them online, put the fronts on Sunday, and the backs on Monday afternoon. Whatever it would have cost to put them on, I paid myself.....a penny saved... Plus, I got to earn the money while being at home, and I love making money at home. And if I did it again, it would take half the time.

Now, that being said, there were the normal allotment of cussing that went along with it, but that is par for a 'first time' venture.

So, although it sounds like the frame was a dollar loss, and even though you say 'never again', what you learned on that project will put other things that much more in reach. And I'm sure if you did it again, it would take half the time.

Now......where's the picture?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill get a picture asap. It turned out... ok. Not quite done yet still have some tweaking to do.
Pros: Its solid as a rock and looks decent. Cons: It takes up most of our room and the corners are VERY sharp. So im going to try and shorten it up a bit and put some rounded molding on the upper corners so nobody does themselves an injury.
I was up till 2:00 am working on the blasted thing but it turned out ok.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A wise man is one who knows what he does not know.
I think Dirty Harry said it best - "A man's gotta know his limitations." I'm still chuckling about gluing it to the floor. I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally does that kind of stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Dirty Harry said it best - "A man's gotta know his limitations." I'm still chuckling about gluing it to the floor. I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally does that kind of stuff. :D
If only it was a one time thing lol. This is an ongoing/daily theme with my life. not just glue but always something. Its all completely unintentional too. Once I accidentally super glued my hands to my face.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If only it was a one time thing lol. This is an ongoing/daily theme with my life. not just glue but always something. Its all completely unintentional too. Once I accidentally super glued my hands to my face.
I read this, and the following is the image that immediately popped into my head. LOL :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
We all do silly stuff like glue it to the floor. I once built an entertainment center and assembled it on my deck only to figure out it wouldn't fit through the door, it was glued and screwed together. There were a whole lot of cuss words that day.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The wife always tries to talk me into having someone else do some of the repair jobs since she don't like to hear me making comments about what is going on when some sillly little thing refuses to cooperate???

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The real question is could you have bought a ready made wooden bed frame for what you paid to make it? I know when I made beds for the kids, the money I spent making them would not come close to a particle board one at twice the cost.

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
When we were taking quotes on having hardwood flooring installed some ten years ago the installer who was best bid said it would be 300.00 extra for them to strip the vinyl/underlayment from the kitchen and the quarry tile off the foyer. Being a confirmed DIYer with the firm belief that every dollar I save paying out is 1.30 earned (pre-tax) I said, "No thanks, I can do that myself".

The foyer wasn't bad, it's about 7 x 12 feet and the tile popped up easily. When I got to the kitchen (14 x 25 approx) I ran the scraper under the vinyl and pulled up....the 1st LAYER!! The darn house was only about 8 years old when we bought it and somewhere in that short period of time they had installed a new vinyl floor over the first one.

It took about a day and a half of hard labor to strip those off the underlayment and we were pulled staples for another day as they were each secured every 4-6 inches! Every muscle in my body was screaming after pulling up on that darn scraper. I learned a valuable lesson that time to more carefully analyze the entire scope of the projects I envision (and sometimes it even works :rolleyes: ).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts