Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just now got my shipment from Buffalo Bore, and I'm looking at it as we speak. I ordered one box of those Outdoorsman .38 specials because they were intriguing to me. I also ordered a couple boxes of the .357 magnum equivalent.

One of Buffalo Bore's test guns was a 6 inch, late '50's, S&W K-38 series gun, and they got close to 1200 fps with the Outdoorsman .38, which - according to their charts - puts it right around 500 fp's muzzle energy. That's just about .357 level power. I was intrigued because I have a gun just like that. The bullets are hard cast lead, designed to go through bone, so it might be over penetrating for a defensive round. But if you only have a .38 and don't want to buy a bigger gun, these rounds may work as protection for the woods, like in black bear country. The idea of that kind of power in a standard .38 is pretty amazing.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=291

I should mention that with 4 inch and 2 inch guns, the the velocity falls off noticeably. They do say, however, that that they can be used in any metal frame .38 in good condition - even j frame sized guns! Anybody ever used any of these? I'd likely carry a .357 in the woods - the BB rounds I ordered are like 800 fp's energy out of a 6 inch gun!

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
That's astounding!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts