Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the Buffalo Bore 75 grain .32 ACP ammo? I've recently picked up a .32 for use as my "church gun", and I'm thinking the Buffalo Bore might make a good round to count on in case something should go awry.

·
32,659 Posts
This is good ammo, but it should be used in pistols that are in the medium frame or compact class only.

I own several .32 ACP mini-pocket pistols, but will not use the BB in them. Pressures are too high. However I also own 3 PT132 Millennium Pros and a CZ83 in .32 ACP. These are able to use the Buffalo Bore ammo with out too much trouble. No burps or hiccups.

There are people who've had the Buffalo Bore +P ammo of this kind wreck their mini-pistol. Others have not, but it can't said for sure how many rounds were run through those guns in any of the cases at other gun forums. Nor were there pictures to go with said claim.

There is no SAAMI pressure accredited +P designation for the .32 ACP, so it's buyer beware.

I use the Buffalo Bore in the larger pistols but not a lot. The hard cast bullet for .380 ACP travels through more than 31 inches of calibrated gelatin and the .32 ACP version will do about the same. Too much penetration. You don't want to be sending some poor souls or soul to Heaven by accident because of the over penetration.

I would stick to premium .32 ACP ammo that works 100% of the time in your pistol and stay with that.

The newer bullet technology rounds of the last several decades shows that these bullets penetrate very deep to get the job done,do, and keep the vast of the majority of the bullet weight while expanding. There is little chance of under penetration with these premium loads.

The weather has become warmer so having to penetrate multi layers of heavy clothing is not an issue right now.

Penetration is not the overall most important factor of many factors of stopping violent attacks. It is just one of many factors.

It's more about where you hit them than what you hit them with.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
well I would listen to Qwik if I were you.
I do not do 32 auto as its just to weak for self defense in my opinion, but as Qwik noted the buffalo (really many so called Plus p 32 & 380 ammo) has some really high pressure readings.
as I often reccoemnd if you want or feel that you need 9 mm power , the best route is to buy a 9MM, even the 380 is about 30-35% more power than the 32 auto.
I too would say look at some of the premium 32 auto self defense ammo.
I believe that more good ammo is showing up in 32 auto now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The .32 ACP is at it's best in all-steel self-loading pistols loading these with the Buffalo Bore 75 grain HCFN load. The BB .32 can penetrate more than 12 inches of 20% ordnance gelatin (bones notwithstanding.) Were it my .32 steel pistols (and I have two stout, solid models) I prefer loading it with Buffalo Bore's hot loads!

In the polymer-frame handguns, Fiocchi's 73 grain loads are some of the hottest that won't batter the little pistol to pieces. I happen to believe that the .32 ACP has enough "juice" at "waltzing distances" (at which the .32 is generally used.) When the bullet breaches the sternum or skull, it has done about half it's duty. It must then perforate organs. This is where PENETRATION IS YOUR FRIEND! In order to "break off the attack" the .32 ACP must penetrate as deeply as possible.

These are the facts of life.

Scott

·
32,659 Posts
I have a problem with BB's hard cast bullet rounds.

Up against a vicious animal and in the larger calibers those make some sense. Never use those for self defense.

Even the .32 ACP went through over 30 inches of calibrated gelatin in actual documented tests.

BB does not think that over penetration is a problem. It is a moral and ethical thing. Human life is precious. Only someone who has no moral compass doesn't think so.

The average human male torso is from 9 inches to 10 inches thick. Yes there are exceptions to this.

Solid bullets that have no JHP profile that small cause icepick type wounds. Icepick type wounds cause little to no bodily fluid loss.
Flesh is elastic and will snap back to where it was. Flat noses can cause a bit more wounding but not that much more. Otherwise there would be no need for JHP or expanding bullets.

Please get a copy of this book,or something similar, and several others from credentialed internal ballistic doctors who are schooled well in gunshot wounds.

Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic ... - Vincent J.M. DiMaio, M.D. - Google Books

Forensic Pathology, Second Edition - Dominick DiMaio, Vincent J.M. DiMaio, M.D. - Google Books

I've got them both. Not an expert by any means but do have a working knowledge about this stuff.

You hit it you by it. That includes all of the dire consequences of having willful and negligently, having total disregard for human life. That means 2nd degree murder or manslaughter. Not maybe.

Oops, does not get it.

So I stand by my earlier statements.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
having seen more than my fair share of gunshot wounds working for 31 plus years in the dark trenches of "Hotlanta", I can testify that a projectile that does not exapand can provide little in the way of blood loss (shock) or actually physical shock to the nervous system.
It is quite remarkable how the human body can shut down the effects of a 22-25-30-32-35 caliber holes that goes through the body.
and expanding point will make a much larger diameter wound channel thats usually harder for the body to over ride and generally will place more energy in the target.
It really doesn't matter a lot how much energy that a projectile has , its more important how much energy that it sheds into the body for shock effect. of course penetration is part of this as well.
which goes back to if you need more bullet buy a larger caliber., Just depends on how much gun that you want to carry around.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the Buffalo Bore 75 grain .32 ACP ammo? I've recently picked up a .32 for use as my "church gun", and I'm thinking the Buffalo Bore might make a good round to count on in case something should go awry.
I'd be careful with Buffalo Bore ammunition. Don't get me wrong, I think they make fine ammunition, but depending upon your pistol, you may be lucky to hit anything with it. Let me explain. Or better yet, just read the section in this post marked "Fixed Sights". The info in that article states, summed up, that the faster a projectile leaves the barrel, relative to the speed of the ammunition used to calibrate the sights of the firearm, the lower the projectile will hit the target. Higher pressure, or lighter projectiles, or a combination of the two, will cause the projectile to leave the barrel too early. The sights are designed for a certain amount of compensation for rise.

I own an older Taurus model 82. The sights on my pistol were calibrated with Standard pressure 158 Grain FMJ Flat Nose ammunition. In my own testing, :

Say this level is the Bullseye (at 7 yards). IN MY PISTOL Standard Pressure 158 gr. FMJ FN shoots here

-------------------------------------152 Grain +P JHP shoots here

-------------------------------------110 Grain Standard Pressure JHP (Buffalo Bore) shoots here

Find out what ammunition was used to calibrate your pistol's sights, and try it.

·
32,659 Posts
If the ammo is not SAMMI approved, or for Europe, CIP ( CIP-BP | CIP ) approved, then do not shoot it in your gun.

If you have a handgun that is in the Big Bore Revolvers: Models & Pictures of Large Caliber Guns | GunDigestStore , then one can use the Garret, Grizzly ammo, Corbon, or Buffalo Bore hot stuff. No problems.

Other than that please follow the cautions the others and myself have given. It's your life or others that are on the line if you don't follow those.

·
32,659 Posts
There have been a lot of church shootings around this area, read that several county area, in the last few years. The Sikh Temple, Brookfield Sheraton that had a church in it, and various other ones of note make for one wanting and need to carry a gun to church mandatory.

These places were attacked because these were gun free zones. Not by law. The congregations and the leadership did not carry arms of any kind.

I have on occasion carried a CZ83 in .32 ACP it holds 15+1 shots and a .32 ACP back up mini-pistol. Nobody was told I was carrying.

The longer barrel gives the "lowly .32 ACP" a velocity advantage and the newer bullet technology gets the .32 ACP up off its knees and makes it a force to be reckoned with.

Granted, I know carry something more powerful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts