Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love retirement. It allows me to indulge myself in my passions - Youth development and shooting. And when I can combine the two, it's almost a perfect world.

Twice a year, the Buckeye Firearms Association has a Youth Shoot weekend at Dillon Sportsman's Club adjacent to Dillon State Park in Nashport, Ohio. Any kid who wants to get some trigger time or learn to shoot Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun or Archery is invited, and for $5 can spend the weekend shooting one or all of those disciplines. First time shooters have to go through a morning safety and intro class, and then get to go to the ranges.

I coached and taught rifle. Kids can cycle through as often as they want as long as they start at the end of the line each time they shoot. I took a couple of Savage MK 2 SVT target rifles with Williams Peep/Aperture sights. Some of the other instructors also brought rifles. It's all .22lr. The NRA supplies the ammo and targets. I probably went through 2000 rounds in a day and a half. Started shooting at 9:00am on Saturday, closed down the range at 8:30pm Saturday, and then shot from 9:00am to noon on Sunday.

I had several kids who had never shot anything other than a BB gun or Nerf gun in their lives. Ages ranged from 9 to about 16. I had one young lady who first shot with iron V sights and scattered her first 20 shots all over the paper, and in a couple of occasions missed the entire sheet. (Range was 50'). The instructor next to me sent her to me because of the sights and target rifle. She cycled through my booth probably 6 times, and by the end of Saturday was shooting consistent 1" groups at the 50'. We were shooting NRA small bore targets, 5 bulls per target, two sheets, 20 rounds.

All of the kids who cycled through all 7 of the rifle booths met with a lot of success. Sent a lot of happy kids home with big boosts to their ego and self esteem, and several Boy Scouts qualified for their rifle Merit Badge.

We'll do it all over again in May. Meanwhile, I'll continue to shoot with my 4-H Club. Life is good in the world of Youth Shooting Sports.

·
9,103 Posts
Fantastic update.

·
Registered
17,592 Posts
Next month, come to Missouri...we have some youth here that need shot. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Divebum
1 - 4 of 4 Posts