Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know everyone has a bucket list of some gun, hand gun or other.

My question is: When you realize your bucket list handgun, are you satisfied after waiting all that time to get your gun?

(Mine, on bucket list, Luger P08)

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
Surprisingly I have a great gun collection between my dad and I.

I always wanted a single action Heritage Rough Rider 22/22 MAG.

So I got it for my 61st Birthday. It's been a great little plinker. I have a Browning Buck Mark that's is really accurate but I enjoy this little guy a lot.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi all, I know everyone has a bucket list of some gun, hand gun or other.

My question is: When you realize your bucket list handgun, are you satisfied after waiting all that time to get your gun?

(Mine, on bucket list, Luger P08)
for a short period of time. then the next one.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I searched years for a nice used Contender. Most I had to pass up because of high prices or poor condition.

I settled for this set up. An earlier model frame with .223 Rem and .44 Mag barrels. I love it to peaches.

I knew enough about the gun prior to purchase, so there were no underlying surprises. The anticipation and waiting wasn't a bother. Satisfaction was greatly amplified when it finally went bang at the range.

Good luck on your Luger search. Lots of variations out there to chose from.

Reactions: dugger1

·
Registered
867 Posts
Every firearms enthusiast that I have met is always looking for the “next” grail gun and I am not an exception. My safe holds a lot of former grail guns. My most recent find was a High Standard “Victor” 107 Military (Hamden CT) 1973. Now, I’m thinking about the nest one. It never ends!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I will be getting my bucket list RIA 1911 10mm next month.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
My holy grail gun was the M1 carbine I recently picked up. Had one before getting married and sold off to help pay honeymoon costs. Now 43 years later I have one back.
View attachment 474007
My father was a gunsmith, dealer, and collector starting in the early 1950's and left me a collection of about 100 historically significant guns that most people can only dream about, including two M1 carbines, three Springfield 1903a3, 1917 Enfield, every model of Winchester lever action from 1873, 1886, 1892, and 1894, a couple Win Mod 12 shotguns, a pair of Colt 1851 Navy revolvers, a 1911 45ACP, a colt lightening .22 cal rifle, a model 1910 FN pistol like the one used to assassinate Archduke Ferdinand to start WW1, a 6.5 mm Italian Carcano rifle like the one used to kill JFK, a battlefield captured 6.5 mm Japanese type 38 Arisaka rifle WITH chrysanthemum in tact (they could only surrender a weapon after the chrysanthemum had been ground off) , a Japanese type 99 Arisaka 7.7 mm, an 1836 Waters 54 caliber flintlock pistol, plus numerous muzzle loading shotguns, several Winchester .22 pump actions, and single shot rifles by Stevens, etc.

When Obama was elected, I sold them all at auction and got over $32,000 for the collection. And I'm getting ready to start selling off most of the rest of what I own before too long, so keep an eye on that section of the forum. 😀

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Super Moderator
17,618 Posts
Not so much a thing with me in the normal sense. I'm a shooter not a collector. As such the number of guns I own is somewhat self-limiting. I don't like shooting a different gun every time, I don't do my best that way. I have to shoot a gun enough to get used to it and keep shooting it enough so that my performance doesn't decline. A guy can only shoot so many, and even at that my normal rotation contains close duplicates that may only vary slightly from each other such as in caliber or barrel length.

I do own a few more than I can shoot in my normal rotation but some of those are sentimental or I would have gotten rid of them. Some are just around to have something different to experiment with. Like these new-fangled bottom feeders. If they work out they stay if not they go eventually. But I'm in no hurry.

So my grail gun is an extremely accurate handgun that I find easy to shoot well. That's impossible for me to determine without buying it and living with it for a while. That's a lot of work so I'm cautious about acquiring new guns. I originally came to Taurus because I was curious to see how good an inexpensive weapon could be. I've been through a few and found just one that's staying for sure. But in general I have found them to be good serviceable weapons and a great value, but as a target pistol they are not for me.

·
22,027 Posts
Great question. I'll use two handguns to answer.

The first is my dream carry gun. I've been shooting 1911s for decades, with the vast majority of that trigger time being on a budget Colt 1991, which had none of the usual upgrades that 1911 guys like. So I always wanted a well equipped 1911, preferably with a 3" or 3.5" barrel. I wanted one of those for years. Well, when my wife and I saw a Colt Defender Combat Elite, she later told me she could tell it was perfect for me as soon as she saw me pick it up. I got it for Christmas not long thereafter. It's everything I hoped it would be. I still admire it as much as I appreciate it, if you know what I mean. And adore her. Here it is:

It fits the hand the way a good 1911 should, the frontstrap checkering welds it in place, the beavertail and thumb safety are great, the night sights, the undercut triggerguard, the night sights.... Some would say it's too heavy. I say it's got the right heft to let you know you're taking serious action. Amazing firearm. Just an amazing shooting/carry gun.

Now, I'm also a sucker for older Colts. I've admired the Model 1903 for ages. It's just such a fantastic design ergonomically, it's a great size, and it's so good looking. Watched auctions for years. I got this earlier this year, and while I still haven't shot it, I'm so happy to finally have a good example of the Model 1903. It's only increased my appreciation for one of JMB's more successful models. It was used for real for a long time, I believe, and the craftsmanship that went into making it shines through.

So glad I bought it. Even if I'd paid $100 or $200 more, I' still be glad. Such a classic, well made piece of American design and craftsmanship.

I've never been anything but thrilled with my Colt revolver purchases either.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Taurus® Raging Bull™ Mdl 416SS6...

·
Registered
27,166 Posts
Actually, I don't. Blame it on old age, if you will, but I have enough guns to shoot, and their just isn't anything out there I gotta have.
That said, this thread was enough of a tweak to get me to look at Davidson's to see if a gun I would like is in stock. It's not.

·
Registered
701 Posts
just to take over for this one I do have

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I have been pretty happy with every bucket list gun I have purchased. Along with all the others I bought that were not on the bucket list. Don't think I own one I am not happy with.

I have not given my bucket list much thought lately, prices are just too high. The last purchase from my bucket list was my .50 AE Desert Eagle. I still love shooting it.

Right now I have 2 on my list. An AK-47 and a .50 BMG. Every time I get ready to buy an AK-47 something happens and prices go up and availability disappears. May just scratch that one off my list. The .50 BMG is a pipe dream right now doubt I will ever buy one at the prices they go for. I still keep watching them.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Okay I hate threads like this, I just spent the last 45 minutes or so looking at .50 BMG's on Gunbroker.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
A good friend of mine just turned 73. He has been thinning out his collection of old Colts, S&W handguns and Savage, Winchester and Military rifles over the last few years. I've lucky enough to have money when he decides to sell something.
I've picked up some great guns for very good prices and they happened to be on my bucket list. Here's a couple.
pre29.jpg
Colt officer target.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts