Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wanting a .44 carbine of some sort when I picked this Rossi out of the rack. Pumping the lever reminded me of a '63 Buick bumper jack I had as a teen. The barrel looked like the inside of a sewer pipe, the furniture may have been abused badly, but the price was right.

First thing I had to do was clean the beast, stone out many burrs and install all new springs. The stock has split at the tang due to poor fitment, dings and scars were numerous. I slapped on a coat of flat acrylic, but the stock still looked lacking.

With winter's cabin fever taking its toll on me, I needed to create another reclining chair project, so I took out my frustrations out on this poor old Rossi.

All of the old finish was scraped down to the wood with a pocket knife, washed in mineral spirits, then given five layers of Tru-Oil. Then I commenced pounding hundreds of little dents into the wood, like I recently did to a set of wood pistol grips. I like its textured look and grip it provides.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
I assume those sliver glints are light reflections off the divots, rather than sparkles. It doesn't appeal to me, but I'd like to see it in person to get a better look-see. I don't think the photos do it justice.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
While you were modifying the wood, you should have taken that steel butt plate off and put a rubber butt pad on it. Full house .44 Mags with that steel butt plate hurt.

Her's a "recondition" I did on my Rossi a few years ago. Mainly, I clearanced the wood so it and the barrel rings do not pinch the barrel. The stock wood finish rubs off when wet, so I removed it, then stained and resealed it. Then while I had everything apart, I cleaned/smoothed out and polished all the internals so the action is like glass. I don't want to cut the stock for a butt pad, but I have in mind a project using a leather stock cover with a rubber pad built in. There is a lot of information on the Internet for improving these Rossi's. BTW, the picatinny rail that replaces the rear sight here is a quality piece from NOE (who usually makes bullet molds). If I remember correctly, it is about $30 and a huge improvement over the Rossi rail, if you can find one of those. Again, if I remember correctly, it is a RanchDog design. He also designed a number of bullets that NOE makes the molds for, so that is the connection.

Gun Trigger Air gun Wood Shooting sport

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While you were modifying the wood, you should have taken that steel butt plate off and put a rubber butt pad on it. Full house .44 Mags with that steel butt plate hurt.

View attachment 435991
If I shoot a lot high recoil rounds I usually slip on my Shooters Friend. Uglier than sin, but really tames the bite and comes off easily.

Attachments

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
The nice thing about the indented stippling is if you don't like it, you can strip down the tru oil and steam out the divots. It'll take time, but it can be done (or you can make a new stock and forearm)

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will be interested in how you will go about cleaning that barrel. If you already did....how did you do it. I would like your stippling better if you had just done the areas that would normally be checkered. Your scraping on the wood worked very well, better than sanding. I will have to remember that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts