Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
32,569 Posts
Same general specs as a Standard model Auto-5 except weight is 6.75 pounds,has gold plating on the trigger. Guns with ribbed barrel had striped matting on the top of the barrel. Barrel lengths 26-32 inches. 3 and 5 shot models. 4+1 in chanber.choice of standard chokes. Manufactured 1937-1976 by FN in Belgium. Worth as follows with plain barrel:NIB$724.Ex:$579.Gd:$393. With Rib NIB:$796.Ex:$637.Gd:$434. Sweet Sixteen New Model in at 7.5 pounds and built from 1987-1993. Scrolled blued receiver. That's all I have on this.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one may be the later of the 2 models you listed. It doesn't have a gold trigger, there ARE markings on the reciever as well.

I believe it is 4+1 looking at the mag.

This was yet another one handed down to me from my dad. I have a double barrled shotgun also that I will clean tomorrow.

BTW, the trigger on the Browning is super nice. Even before cleaning, it was light and crisp.

·
32,569 Posts
FN knew how to build Auto-5s. According to some gun writers the 16 gauge is making somewhat of a comeback. Ammo makers are making small runs of 16 guage ammo. Might be hard to find though. Old Western Scrounger is supposed to be able to make or locate hard to fine ammo.

·
32,569 Posts
News flash coming in over the wire. ;D High gloss French walnut stock with rounded pistol grip. Full choke. Worth: NIB$892. Ex:$714 and Gd:$485. and yes it was a 5 shooter. That is all. ;D Was going to buy 16 gauges for hunting, but like a lot of other guns I have had my eye on the 16 gauge went the way of the dinosaurs. 20 gauge is O.K. and the 12 will get the job done, but the 16 split the difference and did all the hunting jobs well. Would peruse the Federal, Remington, Dynamit Nobel, and Sellior and Bellot ammo sites and see what gauges they sell for. Cheaper Than Dirt and Midway USA are also excellent ammo sites. Cabellas or Sportman's Wharehouse are the other possible sources.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was given a sweet 16 to me by my father on my 16th birthday!! What a gift. Sweetest shotgun I have ever fired. By the way, I sw 16 guage ammo at WalMart this year by the cases.

Ed

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well I like that any way. Maybe I can get a box or so for my OLD single shot 16. Nothing high powered, but would be nice to have couple of boxes.

I think I am down to the last 4 shells that we have, and they are from the late 50's or early 60's. Before I got married anyway. My Grandmother kept it behind the door, from the time I left home until she passed, and I got married in 65.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I used to work with a lady who hunted with a Sweet 16. A few years back she discovered the hard way that parts are difficult to find for them now. She took a shot at a deer and the magazine spontaneously disassembled. Since she was in a marsh at the time they didn't find most of the parts. A local smith was able to fix the gun but he had to use 12ga parts. She got the deer by the way.

Steelheart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts