Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm on the verge of buying 500 rds for $115.00. I've put 500 rds of Federal brass through my new AR without a hitch. I'm not into steel case ammo but this is supposed to be one of the better Russian products.

Can anyone give me a reason not to use this stuff? A lot cheaper than brass.

Thanks, smit

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have shot a bunch of the Brown Bear in .223. While it was not the most accurate round I have even shot they all went boom and never jammed in my rifle.

For cheap ammo my M&P 15 prefers Wolff and that is what I usually buy when just playing around.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
I shoot Monarch through my AR with no issues....I don't see why you couldn't use the Brown Bear. I've used it too, and it was fine.

I"m starting into reloading now, so I'd like to have some 223 brass around for that....so I may start buying the good stuff. 8)

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I have fired the Monarch lacquered steel case .223 and Brown Bear .223 in both of my old model Mini-14's. While they seemed a little dirty, they all functioned flawlessly. I was careful to clean the chamber, as the lacquered steel cases did not obturate as well as brass, and there was some crud in the chamber. While it did not happen to me, there have been anecdotes about lacquer melting and sticking in the chamber, especially after a lot of rapid fire. Be sure to use a chamber brush (or a stiff baby bottle brush!) to clean the chamber after firing. A thorough cleaning is necessary, but no different from firing anything else.

Monarch is an Academy house brand, and if you look at the packaging, lot numbers, dates of manufacture, and cyrillic writing stamped inside the end flap, and even the head stamps on some of the rounds, it sure looks a lot like Brown Bear.

Academy often has the Monarch .223 steel case on sale cheap, and Sportsman's Guide often has the Brown Bear .223 on sale cheap. If you want American made, brass case inexpensive .223 for plinking, watch Cabela's and Sportsman's Guide email sale blasts for the ammo can or dry box deals on the Federal American Eagle .223. When on sale, the Federal American Eagle has been about as cheap as Monarch or Brown Bear, but is American made, and has Federal reloadable brass cases. The American eagle has always worked well, but still requires a good cleaning after shooting. With the American Eagle, the chamber is much cleaner after a shoot than it is after using the Russian ammo.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I've fired a lot of Brown Bear in my RRA AR-15. It's a little dirty, but I'm pretty anal about clean guns, so it gets cleaned after each range trip. I've had no problems at all with it. Matter of fact, I've put a significant dent in the groundhog population of my county using the HP's.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, good info!

smit

·
32,481 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had poor results with any of the steel stuff I have tried.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I like the zinc plated silver bear, no worries about anything sticking in the chamber and usually about the same price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts