Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the rave reviews in the gun mags about the PT1911, I decided to buy one. This is NOT my first 1911-type pistol-I've probably had 15 or so over the last 40 years, and have fired probably 100,000+ rounds thru them. The first range trip with the new PT1911 went off without any malfunctions, and I was thinking that this is a good gun buy, considering all the standard features on the pistol. When I got home, I began to field-strip the pistol for a cleaning-(I had fired 150 rounds of WWB 230gnFMJ). When I slid the slide off the frame-the ejector fell out onto the table-the front leg of the ejector was sheared off and stuck in the frame. It appeared that the ejector is one of those MIM-made parts. NEVER had I experienced an ejector breaking before. The ejector has a roll pin securing the front leg of the ejector to the frame. After removing the roll pin, I soon found out that the ejector leg was stuck good into the frame. This is a blind hole in the frame-no punching it out from below. Returned the pistol to my dealer-he sent it back to Taurus. About six weeks later the new replacement pistol arrived, and I'm pleased with the lifetime warranty. However, I'm not too sure about those MIM parts. Forged machined steel they're not !!! Maybe I'm old -fashioned, but you can't beat machined steel, even it costs more. Don't think I want to trust my life to MIM-type parts. I'm going to replace that ejector in the new pistol. My life is worth more than a couple of $.. Your thoughts please..

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The issue with MIM parts seems to have been resolved long before Taurus entered the market place. Kimber and Wilson both have items on their websites justifying their use of MIM parts and although I haven't seem any manufacturer list specific MIM parts used in their guns, they seem to be relatively common.

One of the really nice things about the 1911 format is that there are aftermarket parts for every part of the gun... so if you are uncomfortable with the prospect of an MIM part, you can certainly find find parts that will fill your intent so long as cost is not an object.

From the reports that are coming back, the loss of any part after 150 rounds is unusual... so you will have to make your decision based on your comfort zone. Most of us have put 1,000 rounds plus through our guns without even a magazine hick-up. So balance the two extremes.

Good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
276 Posts
That's too bad about your ejector, Gunguy. Glad to read it was replaced and the gun is working for you, though. And, welcome to the board!

I do want to point out that before MIM, machined steel parts failed, too. In fact, they still do! So, if you are worried about trusting your life to MIM type parts, you might also worry about trusting your life to machined steel parts, too! ;) Now for me, I don't trust my life to any sort of parts, or guns. In my opinion, all mechanical devices are prone to failure and WILL fail eventually. However, I have seen "tuperware" work flawlessly, MIM work flawlessly, stamped parts work flawlessly, and machined barstock work flawlessly. I have also seen them all break! What I haven't seen is an exhaustive study of what type of parts fail the most in guns. And, I will tell you... I know cops who will swear upon their lives that their "tuperware" is the best, for example! (I have always been suspicious of "plastic" parts... yes, it is an unfounded bias on my part... I know. )

As Cimarron has pointed out, you can replace those MIM parts with something you feel more comfortable with and that is the bottom line for any gun owner. However, I would certainly carry my PT1911 on a daily basis if I were in an occupation that required me to have a reliable weapon. I have had no problems with my PT1911 with several hundred rounds through it. In fact, it has only gotten better!

Happy shooting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts