Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:'( My gun broke and I want to fix it rather than sell it. Selling a disfunctional gun brings up ethical questions, anyway. Another shooter, like me, would end up with same problem same gun. When at the range and fully loaded it will allow me to pull the trigger back slightly,then jam, not allowing the cylinder to continue it's rotation to the next round. I started to experience this after about 15 rounds. This happens in DA and SA firing. The smith at the range, whom I have high regard for, looked at it and offered up the possibility that the rod that pushes out the spent rounds might not be re-seating after re-loading due to excessive oil, thus leaving the rounds sticking out a fraction. But I was careful when re-loading and observed that apparatus each time and I did not see this happening (I have been known to b wrong occasionally). I use Winchester regular 38's, not re-loads. I cannot similate this disfunction upon dry firing. Anybody?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, here goes. It wasn't the snubbie at all. It was ONE single bad round. I went back and put the same rounds in gun that I was using at range. One by one I started rotating the rounds by pullin trigger and lowering hammer. Lo and behold, I found a round that is thicker on bottom around primer. Upon further inspection I found it was NOT a Winchester at all, but something called A-MERC. Turns out it American Ammunitions.It IS a 38 special round but for what kind of 38 special, ya got me. Dont know how that got in my Winchesters. The only other rounds I have r my +P's (speerman). I'm so happy it's not my gun but a little embarrased :-[. Lesson to everyone, check your ammo carefully.

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
This is not uncommon in guns with tight tolerances. This is why...1) I don't use cheap factory ammo for self defense and ..2) I test ALL ammo in my revolvers for load and cycle before carry. I high primer (primer that didn't get seated well) can do the same thing.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I have yet to hear anything good about the American Ammunition company, except that its cheap. Frequently its been lack of quality control. As to how it got in with your Win, I don't have an idea.

Somethings just aren't worth it.

Steelheart

·
32,785 Posts
SkidLid, Kudos to you for figuring this thing out. You saw a problem and explored it's possiblilities as to why and how this happened. It is refreshing not to have to read a diatribe by someone. You figured it out and took necessary steps to correct this and tell others about it. That made it easy for the others to add good info as well and discuss this.Ammo specs can be affected very easily by the way it is put together, the recipe used to make the batch of ammo, sub-standard components, or the way it was made.These are many of the things shooters can overlook very easily. We all discover ammo in this way over time. Even the big ammo makers have had problems from time to time in the past with things such as this or making batches of defective or dangerous over pressure ammo. Luckily usually nothing happens. We can all learn a lesson from this particular incident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts