Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is a fine 1st post :rolleyes:. Anyways, today was my 4th trip to the range since i got my hands on the 24/7 in mid May. I had 646 trouble free rounds till today. The gun will not fire now,the firing pin isnt even touching the primers. From looking at some other posts i think i might have been crowding the safety when i was firing from the "guard" position. Oh well,here are some pics.

Im not sure how i did this or if it was something i did at all, but its broke now so off to Miami she goes. Funny thing is that even though this is my first handgun in 12 years, im not put off to the Taurus brand. These are tools and sometimes they break. Ive got a CCW class in 2 weeks so it looks like i'll have to skip ordering the 9mm LS and grab the standard 9 instead.
and good times were had by all.

·
Administrator
40,363 Posts
That's the Spirit Daywatch! :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Here is what followed me home to keep me company while Lil' Miss 40 is out sick.

PT24/7 SS in 9mm. Put 217 rounds through it in less than an hour with no problems.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
Congrats on your new 9mm SS 24/7! I have a regular Blued version and love it! Currently it's my favorite Carry Pistol!

·
Registered
261 Posts
WOW what is this a reasonable sensible human being that understands that a gun is a machine and as for all machines they may malfunction or break from time to time this is unheard of. Now sorry to say but if this were a Glock, people would say wow what a strange thing to happen but since its a Taurus they will say oh well you get what you pay for or what a piece of junk. Just my 2 cents well anyway hope you have a speedy turnaround and good luck at your class

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone! Yeah i don't really see the point in getting all bent out of shape over the small stuff. Worse things have happened to everybody. An old friend of mine that went through WWII and the Korean War always used to say "its better to laugh then cry". And I've tried my best to look at things with that little phrase in mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's back!!! :D

I shipped it out on the 10th of June and it came back on the 25th of July. The paper that they sent back with it was dated for the 11th, so i guess it took a week before they could do a test fire. Who knows, I'm just glad to have it back.

·
Administrator
40,363 Posts
That's great, now get out there and enjoy it. :thumb:

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
Smokewagon said:
That's great, now get out there and enjoy it. :thumb:
+1 ! Glad to see it's back! Hope you are also enjoying your 9mm 24/7 Pro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DayWatch said:
Well this is a fine 1st post :rolleyes:. Anyways, today was my 4th trip to the range since i got my hands on the 24/7 in mid May. I had 646 trouble free rounds till today. The gun will not fire now,the firing pin isnt even touching the primers. From looking at some other posts i think i might have been crowding the safety when i was firing from the "guard" position. Oh well,here are some pics.

This is my 1st post as well... but seeing this brought me out of lurking. I got my brand new PT145 last week. Cleaned it, oiled it, and took it to the range for the 1st time on Thursday. THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! Got through 1 box of ammo, then this happened on the 1st round from the 2nd box. I thought at first I had a hard primer or something, but after several trigger taps, nothing. Then when I cycled the round out, the piece of metal you found fell out of mine :eek: ! When I disassembled it there at the range, I found what you found... the piece they refer to as a "firing pin lock" in the manual had broken. Not good!

Luckily, I have a good dealer (Eaglehawk Security, Clearwater, FL) and it was bought through Davidsons... so, Thursday it broke, Friday I went to the dealer, Monday I had a brand new replacement form Davidsons.

I thought it was a freak occurrence, and it may still be, as I haven't seen a report of this happening *anywhere* else, until now. And I have done a ton of research (this forum being a good source). I only hope the replacement doesn't suffer from the same issue... as in a bad batch of "firing pin locks" that will break or something along those lines. I think this is one of the 3 safety mechanisms on these (according to the manual), and the trigger engages it when firing. Not sure if it made contact with something while cycling a round or what.

Now I am nervous about it happening again. I plan to go back to the range and running about 3 boxes of ammo through it to see what happens. Perhaps I should put a dab of grease on it?

Andrew

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
fateajk - That would make you #3, that I know of so far.

I'm keeping count, but it does not appear to be a real trend, so far. I have two 24/7's, an OSS .45 and a standard 9mm Pro. I'm not expecting either to break in this manner, and neither should you expect your newer one to do so. Many others here, have higher round counts on their 24/7's without this occuring.

Take a dose of Zen and go to the Range and enjoy yourself! ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, this is also going to be my first post to this forum as well. I just wanted to mention since one is keeping count that I have also experienced this same failure. I was at the range for the second time and about the 400th round since purchase when the gun would not fire. Ejected the round, inspected it, inspected the magazine, and everything looked fine, I then reinserted the mag and chambered the next round which did in fact fire but the next round did not chamber after it. The small piece of metal pictured above had fallen out of the slide and into the mag and was lodged between the side of the mag top and the next round, very strange it was. Anyway this occurred on July 26th, contacted Taurus next day and they picked it up FedEx the day after that, shipped it overnight and arrived next day. I did just receive a letter indicating receipt on Aug. 4th by repair and will be processed in 5-6wks. Another point to mention as well is that my feed ramp looked to be machined poorly and in fact was chipped on the first range trip at the bottom just below where it's curved, by the magazine somehow coming into contact with it, so I mentioned that in my repair order as well. I don't know if this imperfection caused the failure in anyway but at any rate that was two problems that occurred within two weeks of receipt. I would say I'm super disappointed with this, I did plenty of research as this was my first firearm purchase and truly wanted to believe I'd be lucky enough to have a Taurus that performed flawlessly as you often here mentioned in defense of the brand but unfortunately here I sit 400 dollars poorer a full box of ammo and no firearm, well I'll be sure to post a sign out front explaining to any would be bad guys to come back in 5-6 weeks when I'll be better equipped, LOL. All in all I bought into the gun and as I stated earlier I DO like the gun and will keep it for now for range fun, but I think my next purchase will be a 12ga for if times ever call for something a little more serious and reliable, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I've shot since I was a kid and have seen all kinds of malfunctions when my Dad was on the force and a gun broke it went to get fixed. No bad mouth or anything now 30 years later I've seen SIGS break Dads, Glocks break again Dads. My Smith 686 broke. MY friends colt broke. and on and on its a machine and people that fix them are called gunsmiths. That's the nature of the beast guys.

If you go to gun shows you have a Glock booths to fix your Glock and SIG booths and so on I don't know what to say with some of these people.

I've seen whole lines at GM go down for a broken gear. If you can't find one in the crib you hotshot it in by overnight delivery if that don't work, off to machining to build a new one. then back into the line and breaks in less then an hour line down again at this time its costing millions in production and if GM can't crap a part out over night then how do all these people think that a gun company that warrants its guns for life, the only one I believe can. Not a bad deal

By the way Dragonsomatic what did you use for protection before you bought your Taurus as you seemed panicked that you are so open to attack while your gun is being serviced. Just curious

I think Wal-Mart sells a 12 GA for about $150 if your that worried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Panic would indicate fear .45 Forever, this is not the case in my situation. I have it as a hobby mostly I've always had a knack with weapons and as such mostly keep my blade handy for home self defense should the need ever arise. It was more irony, hence the LOL, however I can understand that not coming through in written text.

I am well aware of Wal-Marts offerings, those that still sell firearms in IL. I haven't seen one in my neck of the woods for some time but can't honestly say I've been looking either.

I understand the point of a gun being a tool this is common sense by the definition of the word tool, and any tool requires maintenance and repair from time to time, but for that repair time to be needed after using the tool only once is something to be noted. If I buy a GM car, which by the way I wouldn't I don't like there keys of all things, and let's say this GM car breaks after only driving it home from the dealer, am I to have faith in this manufacturer? I know it lends itself to argument that perhaps a particular vehicle, or an entire lot in some cases may be faulty, not by design but by material or human error and should not be faulted to the company that manufactured as a whole, but surely there brand image could be damaged in some way, even to a loyal customer so especially more so to a new one. I practice the "burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me" mentality, so if I return the car and get a replacement and it lasts me then the brand has repaired the damage, however if the repair also takes a dive only a fool would continue that pursuit IMHO.

Like I said previously I extensively researched this purchase and have read the good and bad of many different makers and know that I'd never own a 100% fail safe tool, honestly how can anything truly be this. I appreciate that Taurus stands behind their product with the life time warranty this was a definite selling point to mention, but if it means having to be constantly sending the product back time and again forget it it's not what I intended to do when I bought it. I intended to enjoy it as a hobby and a sport, the added protection is only a side note.

Would I make the purchase again I can't honestly say that I would or wouldn't I suppose this first repair has been tolerable to me more so because the finish on the pistol was damaged during shipment slightly by the safety system keys and the feed ramp finish had also been chipped by the magazine somehow after my first range trip. There was something up with this particular pistol and I felt it was bound to failure eventually so the fact that nobody was hurt when this malfunction happened is a blessing and that it will be repaired is also. Honestly I believe that I obtained an older model of the 24/7 Pro line and hope that now that Taurus has it back in it's loving hands they will remedy its shortcomings and send me back my favorite hand tool void of its initial flaws. ;)

PS-I still like this gun and hope Taurus makes good on their product if they do that I'll wave the flag for them, other than these issues this beauty is well worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
45 Forever: Understood... machines break, no matter who makes them. Things should be kept in perspective. I don't know how many well functioning Mil Pros and 24/7s are out there, but I am sure the number makes those of us experiencing this problem seem like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction. But, I think it is also good for people to document problems experienced on sites like this, and whether/how they are corrected by the manufacturer, so long as these things are kept in perspective - i.e. don't say that 4 guns out of tens or hundreds of thousands produced means that all are going to break in this way.

Replacement Update: I was finally able to take my replacement PT145 out to the range, and ran 150 flawless rounds through it. I would have shot more, but the person I went with had an accident with his gun. His hand got bit by the slide (he brought a small gun), and was bleeding a lot, so we left. Hopefully I can go again soon to fire some more rounds through the PT145. Work has been busy, but I plan to go back this Friday with a few more boxes of ammo.

So far, I am happy I purchased the PT145. I wouldn't go back and purchase something different. That said, I still agree that documenting these issues and how they are fixed/corrected is useful to do.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I completely agree with documenting.

I worked for GM for 31 years and bought a GM car and had It back for service 3 times in about 2 years it was for things that I work on and should never have gotten out of the plant . Knowing our quality gates and What it was we inspect. This should not happen period many don't realize that each GM plant is allowed 1 returned car for replacement or cash for the year or we pay heavy fines and manager's get moved on so this is taken vary seriously.

By the way I own 2 GM and 1 Ford. I'm not trying to hammer anyone for complaining and welcome them as I too want these guns and learn from what other people have experienced.

But was trying to point out if something does get through, quality control have a vary heavy load of paperwork on there hands so as we don't let it happen again.

I understand your frustration I saved for a long time to get my PT1911 to find I had bad mags and they new about it so I was not happy but still love the gun. I bought more reliable mags and onward I went the 2 mags are waiting for me to send back to Taurus. I heard they would have the spring problem worked out in August so I'm waiting to make sure I don't get defective mags all over again.

Please enjoy your guns and have a little patience, Hunting a problem is more complected then just fixing your gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya Know, I've been thinking about how mine broke. And I think that my original thoughts on how ended up with a broken gun were wrong. The safety is on the other side of the slide. I think that my constant slamming of loaded mags into the gun making the slide slam shut are to blame. I did this for over 600 rounds. There was what seemed to me a large amount of bass everywhere in the gun after each trip to the range. When I picked the 9mm I wasn't anywhere near as rough on it as I was with the .40, no brass no grit.When the .40 came back I stopped with the mag slam routine and it was the as the 9, no brass. I dont know I could be chasing more ghost with this one. All i know is my gun is back and shooting and straight, and that makes me fat and happy.

The Twins, maybe triplets by the end of the year. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts